Author Topic: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP  (Read 19547 times)

Offline phs Paddy

R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
I’ve had this white metal kit in the locker for some time and have been itching to have a go. So, in celebration of the opening of Des’ new forum I found the excuse I was looking for. The first image is where I'll be attempting to go.

(Updated to a better image!)

The following photo is of the figure’s parts minus the rudder. They’re now primed and I’m in the process of filling pin holes with Mr Surfacer.

Here I’ve started the colour coats on the rudder depicting an Albatros kite. The colour coats at this point were done with Tamiya acrylics after the prime coat. The yellow base coat is a mix I picked up from WnW’s Albatros D.V instructions for chrome yellow. The Balken Kruse (sp?) was done with two different masks I cut and you’ll notice that the white outline appears a little to the wide side. Just count that as artist license.  ;) Highlights, shadows and weathering will come a little futher along.

OK, so here we go with a small vignette which may qualify for the diorama section. Just remember that I’m relatively new to figure painting but all comments are welcome, but be gentle.  :)

Paddy

P.S. I know, I know. Don’t seem to be happy unless I’m working on more than one project at a time. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:50:44 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline keith_christie

Re: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
That is an interesting little vignette you have there Paddy, who is it by?

Nice start on the painting as well.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:16 AM »
Splendid :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:20 AM »
A very interesting vignette Paddy, good luck with the painting.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »
That is an interesting little vignette you have there Paddy, who is it by?

Nice start on the painting as well.

Best Regards

Keith

Keith the company that marketed this figure is 'The Fusilier' out of the U.K. and  their packaging was marked  'The Great War 1914-18 & Trench Stores Accessories'. The figure size is 80mm or approx. 1/24 scale.  The stockiest I purchased from is state side.

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:29:34 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:21:34 AM »
Splendid :)

Thanks David. Now let's hope I can do it justice.

Paddy

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
A very interesting vignette Paddy, good luck with the painting.

Cheers

Pete.

Thanks Pete. Fingers crossed.

Paddy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
Thanks Paddy for posting this interesting vignette, I will be keeping a close watch on this one especially when you start doing the face. I just purchased the latest Kellerkind figure, their RFC pilot called "Let's Go", I have never painted a figure before so watching how you attack yours will be a great learning curve for me, and others.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
  Paddy,
Thanks very for sharing this wonderful vignette my friend.I really love the detail of the pilot.I'm looking forward to following this thread. I done figures before so no big problem in doing the uniforns and euipment . My problem is always the face and the skintones. Frankly my efforts to date uh without being too crude draw a vacuum. I looking forward to watching how you handle the
face and skintones.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
Thats going to be sharp.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
Aye, faces, now there’s the rub. Des, you and Gregory are right on about the face being the toughest part of a figure, at least that’s my opinion too. One thing about this chap is he’s wearing goggles which may help a bit on that score. Let’s hope I handle it properly and not have to put a sack over the bloke’s head when I’m finished.  :D :D :D

Paddy

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
Thats going to be sharp.

Thanks Steve. Hope you're right about that and I don't mess in my nest.  ;D

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:36:52 PM by phs Paddy »

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »
Thanks Paddy for posting this interesting vignette, I will be keeping a close watch on this one especially when you start doing the face. I just purchased the latest Kellerkind figure, their RFC pilot called "Let's Go", I have never painted a figure before so watching how you attack yours will be a great learning curve for me, and others.

Des.

Your welcome Des.

I remember you mentioning you had ordered "Let's Go" and I'm looking forward to reading your review. From the picture I remembering seeing on the net it looks like a great figure to have. Lots of potential there, especially in a diorama.  I can't rememer if it's resin or white metal but what I'm beginning to see is resin figures having very sharp detail with little or no flaws. So, again it will be good to hear what you think. BTW, with your skills you'll do a grand job right out of the box, but if I can contribute anything worth while to you or the group I would take it as a feather in my cap.  :)

Paddy 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:23:28 PM by phs Paddy »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
I'll be watching this with interest Paddy. As with many others, I'm challenged when it comes to face painting. I remember doing a Verlinden British paratrooper years ago and by the time I stopped blending the face, the poor fellow had a five o'clock shadow on his forehead.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:33 AM »
I'll be watching this with interest Paddy. As with many others, I'm challenged when it comes to face painting. I remember doing a Verlinden British paratrooper years ago and by the time I stopped blending the face, the poor fellow had a five o'clock shadow on his forehead.

Cheers,

Chris

;D ;D ;D I'm part of the challenged group also Chris but I've hitched up the braces and with fingers crossed will soldier on.

Another figure I have going was almost complete except for the head. I managed to drop the partially painted head on the concrete floor and it suffered some facial disfigurement which turned out to be a blessing and it now resides in the dust bin.  :D A new set of five heads were ordered for backup whenever I try to put a new face on the North African French tank commander again.

Paddy