Author Topic: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP  (Read 19583 times)

Offline Edo

Re: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
Thank you Paddy for your tutoril on the masking process!
I'll study it and I'll surely give it a try.
Did you draw the cross from scrath or did you photocopy an old decalsheet?
Ciao
Edo

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »
Thank you Paddy for your tutoril on the masking process!
I'll study it and I'll surely give it a try.
Did you draw the cross from scrath or did you photocopy an old decalsheet?
Ciao
Edo

You're very welcome Edo.

I traced the cross from the decal sheet of a WnW Albatros D.V that I have in my stash.  ;D

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »
Thanks very much Paddy for your great tutorial, every little bit of information is going to help once I get around to doing my figure. It is so good to have all the links to various articles, and to actually "watch" you painting your figure makes it so much easier, looking forward to seeing you progress with the painting.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Thanks Paddy,

Nice progress on the flesh base coats.

I am familiar with the TVAL website as I am using it for reference for the FE.2b build which I have just got under way.

Thanks again,
Best Regards

Keith

Thanks Keith and I would have suspected you would be quite familiar with TVAL .  :) I can surf around in there until I lose track of time.

I'll be looking forward to when you open the hanger doors on that FE.2b so we can get a peek at what I know will be a beauty.  :)

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:01:00 PM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
I just gotta try these Vallejo paints. I have a set on hand but have never cracked a single bottle open yet. Thanks for that link to the painting article.

Cheers,

Chris

Your welcome Chris. I really like their paint and if you read Mario Fuentes' article before you start using them, even if not for a figure, it will give you an understanding of how they can be used and I think you'll appreciate them even more.

Paddy

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
Thanks very much Paddy for your great tutorial, every little bit of information is going to help once I get around to doing my figure. It is so good to have all the links to various articles, and to actually "watch" you painting your figure makes it so much easier, looking forward to seeing you progress with the painting.

Des.

You're very welcome Des. I think you're going to enjoy your entry into historical miniatures especially when they support our primary love of the WWI kites. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll be good at it.

When I got a look at the first skin base coat today I decided it was much to dark. The fellow would look more like he had been stationed in North Africa with to much time at the beach than slogging around France. So, I’ll check my colours and see what I think may look better. I’ll shoot a photo so you all can get a look and let you know what Vallejo colour I decided on. This is all fun stuff and a big part of the fun to me is the learning.

Paddy

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
Sir Paddy,
 Please post a picture of the mask used or one made up ready for use.
A picture (in my case!) is worth a billion words  :)

Cheers old bean,
Von Buckle 

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
Good looking model, good luck, perhaps you could in future have him standing in front of his aircraft...
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:25 AM »
I’ve selected the colours I’ll now use for the skin tones on the face and hands. Applied one application of the new base flesh over the original flesh at this point. You’ll notice that I left his mustache as the first base colour and will use that as his hair colour since I kind of like it. Now we have a starting point IMO. It does look like I need to get the Mr Surfacer after some of the pin holes in the helmet before applying paint in that area, and no I’m not talking about those at the front of the helmet. I do believe those represent fur lining.  ;) ;D ;D

The following photo shows the selection of colours for skin I’ll now use, starting from your left, highlights then center is the base colour, and right is the shadows selection.

Now, the rest of the day must be devoted to domestics……… bah humbug. I’ll try to comply with Lord Buckles’ request tomorrow.  :)

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:47:49 AM by phs Paddy »

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 04:18:33 AM »
Well between you and Des' mention of that 'Let's Go' miniature, now you have me thinking about trying my hand at painting one of these infernal figures again. I just came home from the LHS armed with Vallejo's #341, 342 and 343 as a starting point for a face, along with a bottle of their retarder, just in case. Now I'm off to order that figure.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
Even with the base coat done and no shadowing, the detailing on the face is great - can't wait to see you weave your magic on it Paddy!! ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
Thanks Andrew. I'm hoping for some good magic on this project.  ;D

Paddy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
Excellent colour for the skin tone Paddy, and the moustache looks very good also, boy, this is getting better and better and is giving me a lot of confidence.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Excellent colour for the skin tone Paddy, and the moustache looks very good also, boy, this is getting better and better and is giving me a lot of confidence.

Des.

Thanks Des and I too like the new base colour much better. The previous darker skin drove me to the change in a hurry.  ;D ;D ;D

It’s good to hear that your feel more confidence as we go along. Hope it will help others to consider giving figures a shot for the dioramas they would like to build. Your “Lets Go” is going to make a great addition to your aircraft scene one of these days.

Paddy   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:05:08 AM by phs Paddy »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »
Im off to buy Vallejo paint...think I spelled that wrong....