Author Topic: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2022, 02:57:15 AM »
Moving forward nicly Stuart even with a set back . I do the same with mounting locations all time and I see no reason to stop that either , adds a bit of excitement to the build .

Looking forward on the next up-date

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2022, 03:41:29 AM »
Wow, Stuart! A magnum opus and you are marching through this one with great gusto! Just to say there will be times when this complicated model really tries your patience, but it will be worth it in the end! And we will all be following... Regards, Marc

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2022, 03:44:24 AM »
Wow, Stuart, your recovery work was so well done I can't even tell there was a problem in the first place. It looks remarkable!

I had emotions and had to step away for a few days.
I totally empathise. Although in my case the troublemakers are still in their boxes after a matter of years rather than a few days!!
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2022, 04:37:33 AM »
Stuart this is not the easiest of aircraft to model - the rigging under the wings is a pain in and of itself. However you did the right thing to go away and come back - and it is really paying off now. Just a word of advice - take adding the booms slowly and give yourself plenty of time - they will fit but they are a bit like the wings...

This will be something to be proud of when it is finished.

Stephen.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »
This model is testing my patience.  I'm quickly running out of talent.  I had to take an extended break after mangling the engine trying to get it installed.  I did a small side project, the CMR Hansa-Brandenberg W.20 beaching trolley and sawhorse.  I don't know if I'll ever build the flying boat, but I'll have the trolley!  Back to the Voisin engine problem.  The locating hole in the back of the fuselage places the top two cylinders above the top wing and the prop shaft bearer tripod doesn't fit.  So, sand off the paint, fill the gaping hole, sand, repaint, and try again.  Using photos and drawings, I then tried to locate the engine where it should go only to find out the bearer doesn't align properly there either.  I glued the engine in a little bit high and the bearer now aligns.  Taking a look at the interplane struts, I just wasn't happy.  Some of my drilling wasn't quite on the mark and made the struts crooked, even to my half-blind eye.  So, I redid a number of the interplane struts, tearing off a few of the wing rigging lines along the way.  The photo etch boom struts that are supposed to act as the center rear interplane struts are too short so I cut them off the boom and replaced them with handmade brass struts.  The struts in general are still all a bit ugly.  I'm not sure if I want to try cleaning them up and risk losing more rigging or having to reattach struts.  All this handling buggered up the top wing paint, so I have lightly sanded it and I will give it another coat after everything else is done.  I will do as much rigging as I can between the wings before I add the tail boom.

Stuart

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 02:43:54 AM »
The engine bearers on the Voisin were far from simple - you have done well to make sure they conform to the location on the fuselage and wing. Do not give up at the stage - you have come too far now: you will eventually get this one together.

The H-B W 20 is a subject on my to do list - an interesting type if a little small.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 04:01:59 AM »
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Stuart but I'm glad you're persevering as your photos give no hint of the trials you've face. More power to you!
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 04:44:43 AM »
Your perseverance in this and other builds gives me hope in my modeling travails Stuart.

Continue to march troop!

WD

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2022, 01:28:14 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Stuart but I'm glad you're persevering as your photos give no hint of the trials you've face. More power to you!

I agree completely. Your issues don't show in the results.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2022, 05:04:18 PM »
I think I know what you are going through. Sometimes it is good to step back and take a brake. But in the end, it is satisfying to finish a model that is very rare.

I think we all want to do the best we can with our models but sometimes the tendency to be perfect can be quite an obstacle. But the world is not perfect and efficient
solutions must sometimes let something pass.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2022, 04:12:26 AM »
I almost missed this build, rare and challenging kits. The Voisin is coming along very nice, despite the trouble with the engine, don't give up now, so close to the end. Thumbs up!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2022, 10:49:08 PM »
I, too, would like to encourage you to persevere to the end.  It's coming together nicely and this does not look like an easy kit to build.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:28 PM »
Yes, me too -a very cool model of a very rare kit... I know the feeling too (probably most modellers!) when I tried to install brake lines on a 1/32 jet gear leg 3 hours worth of frustrating work and only 2 lines installed with CA glue mess everywhere :(

Next evening with a fresh mind I went ahead and got nearly all of them installed properly.... modelling is strange hobby for sure -rewarding and frustrating at the same time!

I hope you'll get to finish the model eventually, I have some 'warted' models that I'm even more proud of, purely because they were much more challenging and unique. :)

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2022, 12:54:23 AM »
Keepin' on, keeping' on.  The two interior bays have their structural lines.  I thought the instructions were incorrect as they show them as double lines with the middle and outer bays rigged as single line.  I checked the datafile drawings and pictures showing the same.  So, double lines it is.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 02:06:07 AM »
Looks great Stuart.

WD