Author Topic: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit
« on: December 20, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »
I'm continuing to push forward with the shelf of doom projects.  I am down to three.  I have an Eduard Albatros D.V that only needs rigging, a Hanriot HD.9 that was crushed and needs all new undercarriage, struts, and rigging, then this Voisin III.  The Voisin will definitely be the most challenging kit I've ever done.  It was placed on the shelf those many years ago after trying to remove the photo etch tail boom structure off the fret and turning it into a mangled mess.  Anyways, here's where we're starting.  I am going to move forward and see if I can make something that resembles a Voisin.

Stuart

Offline enathan

Re: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 12:08:50 AM »
Good luck with the Voisin Stuart, I have this kit and it seems to be a good one.
Are you sure you have a Hanriot HD.9? I don't know that such a kit exists, is it a converted HD.3 or a scratch build?

Offline FAf

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 02:03:00 AM »
I am so impressed with you working away to rescue these models... I would've given up and buried them a long time ago! Great effort!
/Fredrik

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 02:39:14 AM »
If it helps, I scratch built one of these many years ago - it is in the scratch  builds section of this site. I used florists wire for the booms - that might give you some ideas as to how you could retrieve this one. https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8349.0

Good on you for picking it up again and restarting - I will be following along and willing you on.

Stephen.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 04:42:53 AM »
If it helps, I scratch built one of these many years ago - it is in the scratch  builds section of this site. I used florists wire for the booms - that might give you some ideas as to how you could retrieve this one. https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8349.0

Good on you for picking it up again and restarting - I will be following along and willing you on.

Stephen.

Stephen,

I actually took a bit of inspiration from your Voisin scratchbuild to get the shelf of doom cleared.  I figured I'd try to regain some skills as I worked my way through most of them before I delved into the Flashback kit.  Honestly, I should probably put it back on the shelf and continue improving skills on a few others, but it'll come out however it comes out and it too shall be completed.  It's a hobby after all, right?

You did an amazing job on yours.  Mine won't come close.  I'm hoping it mostly looks like a Voisin.  We will see.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 09:47:42 AM »
You are moving too quickly for me to keep up with Stuart. That being said I like the tub, looks awesome.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
Will try to keep up with your progress .!

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »
Rejuvenating the PE boom structure is not out of the question.   A while back I had a 1/700 ship with a complex PE lattice mast of very, very soft brass, and I messed it up bad.  After ten years or so on the Shelf of Doom, I revisited it, just as you are doing, and it came out really nice.

I wish you similar luck!
Rick

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »
Good luck with the Voisin Stuart, I have this kit and it seems to be a good one.
Are you sure you have a Hanriot HD.9? I don't know that such a kit exists, is it a converted HD.3 or a scratch build?

I'm pretty sure I used the Roseplane Hd.3 vacuform.  I added the camera access panels, rocker covers, headrest, and filler.  The rest is straight kit.  What I can't figure out is what I did to make it a single seater.  It's too clean for me to have fared over the gunner's position.  Maybe it came that way and one was supposed to carve it out.  I just don't remember.  Maybe someone else has this kit and can elaborate.  Here's a pic of its current state.

Stuart

Offline enathan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »
I think you are underestimating your skills Stuart...
Here is the original Roseplane HD.3 vacuform with the gunner position clearly evident and general instructions on how to convert it to an HD.9.   

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 12:00:34 AM »
Thank you.  Seeing the kit reminds me I used stretched sprue and putty to simulate the stringers on the fuselage and the ribs on the wings, elevator, and rudder.  I must have blocked out that arduous task from my memory.

Stuart 

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 10:16:59 AM »
Stuart,
          I've had one of these kits in the stash for years, but I've been too scared to start it for fear of screwing it up. Looking forward to see what you do with this build.

WD

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 01:24:33 AM »
Some amazing modelling on a really difficult subject, Stuart! Watching and learning... Regards, Marc.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 07:35:24 AM »
Progress continues.  I was going through the photo library to organize pictures of models and I came across the first one below dated from September 2018.  So this one has only been on the shelf of doom for 3 years.  It's still fresh!  By the looks of it, I must have been planning on replacing the molded interior detail but then forgot along the way and closed up the fuselage.  I painted the floor in a wood-ish looking motiff best I could without disassembly.  I found a photo etch set by RCR Models for the Savoia Marchetti S-55X.  Since it's the only photo etch set for a subject post 1918 I have, I must have gotten it for nearly free and bought it for such a purpose as this.  I chopped it up and used some of the bits to make the side framing and rigged it with Infini lycra.  It's definitely not correct, but it looks the part.  I slid them both in without disturbing the other interior components.  Looking at the datafile, there's a bunch of controls and small gauges along the sides of the cockpit and very few on the instrument panel.  Take a look at Stephen's scratch build for the proper panel.  Adding the side details would make the kit a real stunner, but I'm just not feeling it on this build.  I will have to repent to the modeling gods.  Usually I just say 10 'Hail Airfixes' for any modeling sins but this may require more penance.  I'm now in the puttying and sanding stages to get it smoothed out. 

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 11:07:51 AM »
Looks excellent to My Eyes Stuart!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler