Author Topic: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Re: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
I'm going to try some pre-shading for the ribs.  I laid down a coat of white primer and hand painted with brown primer.  It looks awful!  Let's see what happens.

Stuart

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 02:57:39 AM »
The first picture is a shot of some of the sub assemblies in the kit.  I started straightening the rear boom photo etch.  I really mangled it up on the first attempt.  The gun is very nice and for the number of very small photo etch parts, it went together easier than I thought it would.  The wheels were simple and went together easily as well.  The engine was a challenge.  The cylinders are resin on a plastic crankcase with a photo etch pushrod plate.  It looks like I lost one since last I worked on it.  I still have to add the photo etch rocker arms and valves to each of the cylinders.  The second picture is of the result of pre-shading.  This is the first time I've tried this and was quite pleased it came out the way it did.  I have a bit of touch up on the elevator.  I got a bit too anxious and laid a whopper of a fingerprint in it.  Nothing a little sanding and spraying can't fix.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 03:27:10 AM »
It looks like you are well on your way to getting the booms straight Stuart. As for the pre shading of the ribs , they look fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2021, 02:04:50 AM »
A bit more tweaking of those booms and they will serve well.

The pres-hading has worked very well indeed. Looks like this one is going to be on your display shelf before too long.

Stephen.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2021, 05:50:21 AM »
Stephen, thank you.  For me, it's always a surprise and a big motivator when I try something new and it works.  I had some time over the Christmas weekend.  I have another day to make some progress, then it may slow down.  I've sketched up plans for a new hobby bench with shelving, so I may pack everything up and go into construction mode before I finish it.  Here's some more pictures.  I had to hack, slice, sand, and trim to get the figures the way I wanted, especially the pilot.

Stuart

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2021, 07:20:36 AM »
She's looking great Stuart! Pre-shading for ribs always seems to me a hit-and-miss affair but yours look great to my eye! The whole project is shaping up very nicely.
Zac in NZ

Offline WD

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 11:56:10 PM »
As others have said, it's looking great and you're well on your way. I like it that you've added a pilot and crew,  what figures did you use?

WD

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2021, 01:41:53 AM »
Looking good Stuart. I Like how you have posed the figures. They should be a nice enhancement!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2021, 04:28:17 AM »
Certainly beginning to look more like a Voisin now. You are well on the way to finishing this one.

Stephen

Offline FAf

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 06:07:03 AM »
Great work and the figures will really add to the interest. I hope you finish this before you rebuild your work place, otherwise it might be another three years before it gets done... hope not!
/Fredrik

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
Keeping the flow going.  Thanks again to everyone looking in on my progress.  WD, they are PJ Productions figures.  They are quite nice.  I bought them a number of years ago and they were more than I wanted to spend on 1/72nd figures even back then.  I think it was more due to the USD low against the pound sterling at the time as PJP is in Belgium and the only way I could get them was through Hannants.  They may be available here in the US now, I don't know.  I bought a big bunch of them at the time to justify the shipping and am still working from that lot.

Stuart

Offline WD

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 01:05:41 AM »
Thanks Stuart, I remember that company now, and their offerings, I just don't remember them looking that good.

WD

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 04:24:19 AM »
You are moving along quickly on your Voisin Stuart. Looking good!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 05:04:45 AM »
That tail structure looks completely useable to me - another one removed from the SOD.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 06:50:36 AM »
That tail structure looks completely useable to me - another one removed from the SOD.

Stephen.
Hear hear, that lattice tail looks great to my eye!
Zac in NZ