Author Topic: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit  (Read 6064 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Voisin III - 1/72nd scale Flashback kit
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »
Your figures look really good.  Hard to believe they are 1/72 scale.

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2021, 11:52:05 PM »
Wow.  If you every want to learn just where your modeling skills are at, take super closeups of your work.  Thank you kensar for the crew compliment, but it looks like I need to touch up the crew.  With the naked eye, I didn't realize I had banged them up so much getting them in.  The gun mount got overglued and the radiator cores have a bit of overpaint from the crossmembers.  And I thought I had nailed those radiators!  I can still touch them up mounted.  The gun is going to stay the way it is. I am not going to tear apart all that photo etch.  I'll try to clean up the overglue on the tripod mount points.  If I can't, a bit of paint might make them look like flanged mounts.  I still have to go back in and trim off the side grips on the control stick as this seems to be inaccurate and then get the stick in the pilot's hands.

Stephen and Zac, the tail is still wonky, but a first glance it looks okay.  Let's see if the dang thing will go on straight.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2021, 01:25:39 AM »
The gun and mount look great in place. I think the vrew looks good even with the closeup photo. Should be perfect for the scale once you do your touch up.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2021, 02:10:44 AM »
Keep at it Stuart - you are surely winning!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
Slow and steady , and the battle will be won . really nice work so far and I ope you were able to straighten out the tail booms

Alexis 
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online WD

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2022, 05:21:21 AM »
If you hadn't have pointed out the faults, I wouldn't have seen them, and I still can't see the overpaint on the radiators.

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2022, 05:38:17 AM »
If you hadn't have pointed out the faults, I wouldn't have seen them, and I still can't see the overpaint on the radiators.

WD
Precisely what I thought!
Zac in NZ

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 04:04:51 AM »
I decided to work over the photo etch tail boom.  I gave the struts and spars some depth with layers of CA glue.  This gave the whole thing a lot more rigidity.  With a bit more structural integrity, andi with the rigging portions of it bending and bowing, I cut them out and will replace them with scale appropriate lycra thread.

I'm starting the rigging after several sessions of studying the instructions, datafile drawing, and images.  The rigging under the wings presents a new challenge for me especially working in how to do it with all the usual rigging.  I think I have a good plan and have started moving along.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 04:52:00 AM »
The boom is looking good Stuart. I think replacing the PE bracing wires was/is a good decision!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 05:36:02 AM »
Nice work on the booms , PE to straighten out can be pain so I tip my hat .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online WD

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2022, 06:03:54 AM »
What Rick and Alexis said!

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
Underwing rigging? And I thought the PE lattice was mindbending! Lovely work Stuart.
Zac in NZ

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2022, 01:19:23 PM »
I had emotions and had to step away for a few days.  After I got all the underwing rigging in place, I mounted the struts in the top wing and tried to get it attached to the lower wing.  I didn't even get close to getting it on when I noticed the top and bottom placement holes did not line up.  I had counted ribs.  Somehow I got off.  I think it's because the rib count distance on the top wing and the rib count distance on the bottom wing don't line up when referencing the datafile.  So, I filled, redrilled, and re-rigged.  As I was mounting the top wing it turns out the kit interplane struts are all too short.  Great.  I really didn't want to have to make struts for another kit.  So at this point, I decided it was a good time to pause and take inventory of all my model kits and decals.  That was a nice little distraction and today I hunkered back down and made struts for the Voisin.  The top wing is now mounted and I can measure the outboard diagonal struts and get those in.  As you can see, the mounting process was not without some pain.  I have to remount a radiator and the gun.  And of course more touch ups.  Minor stuff.  Getting back on track to get this completed.

Stuart 

Online RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 01:15:36 AM »
You have done an amazing job...twice it seems  8) I will try not to "Whine" about having to make a couple of struts in the future  ::) Looking outstanding!
RAGIII

Online WD

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2022, 02:12:53 AM »
Great job sir!

Continue to march troop.

WD