Author Topic: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732  (Read 14004 times)

Offline DaveB

Re: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:09 PM »
Great progress, Zac -

I'm really following this with real interest as I have this kit and will also build pretty much OOB myself.   Good to have a heads up on building issues.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2022, 04:56:28 AM »
Zac,

I really like the wood on the floor of the cockpit.  It's all looking very good.

Stuart

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2022, 05:31:22 AM »
In My opinion if doing a Kelner built bird like the Brits used the Memorial flight example is spot on.
Then wood it shall stay. Thank you both!

Unfortunately my first attempt at straightening the wing wasn't as successful because I didn't realise I needed to use some force to bend the other way, rather than assume hot water + weight = flatness. I've just tried again and will check later on, and share a pic or two of my progress on other areas.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 05:16:11 AM »
Success!
Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII c.1 (early) by Zac Yates, on Flickr

I'm really following this with real interest as I have this kit and will also build pretty much OOB myself.   Good to have a heads up on building issues.
Forewarned is forearmed! Be sure to check your upper wing and deal with it sooner rather than later, lest you have to suffer from fit issues when everything's ready for it to be put in place! I can only thank Marc for his advice. My wife said I was clever - I said it was his idea  :)
Zac in NZ

Offline Monty

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 04:08:28 PM »
I'm very happy my ramblings could be of some help, Zac! Yes, lots of kits have warped wings, 3 WNW kits I can think of off-hand, and often older kits that are re-poped don't come so well moulded! I can even show you a few disasters where I've cracked a wing with over-enthusiastic bending... so I just glue and patch and carry on! So good to see your Spad progressing... Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2022, 09:39:32 AM »
The wings look nice and straight now Zac. I also think the interior floor and tank look terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 05:46:04 AM »
Thank you gents! I'm pleased with how the de-warp process went. I have a Frog Canberra that will need special help on all four wing parts as well as both fuselage halves!!

And Rick: Facebook suggested you be my Friend, so keep an eye out for my request  8)
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 05:56:48 AM »
Thank you gents! I'm pleased with how the de-warp process went. I have a Frog Canberra that will need special help on all four wing parts as well as both fuselage halves!!

And Rick: Facebook suggested you be my Friend, so keep an eye out for my request  8)

Just confirmed. I will send you a request from My other account on FB so don't refuse it  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 03:47:46 AM »
Just confirmed. I will send you a request from My other account on FB so don't refuse it  ;D
RAGIII
I've had to deal with YouTube hackers recently so have been a little more security-conscious, but that face seemed trustworthy!  ;D

Back to the SPAD, I'm looking to tackle the seat cushion today as well as some minor paint corrections around the cockpit. A friend sent me some goodies including wine cork foil for belts so I'll see if I can fashion some restraints. Rigging the rudder bar is also something I should be able to do today.
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2022, 04:28:57 AM »
Wings look good Zac , nice job on getting the wrap out .

Have you tried using your wife's hair drier for a heat source ? Works good for some wraps , just make sure you don't get paint on it if you decide to give it a whirl in the future . Oh yeah , don't use a heat gun !!!!!!!! The effects of that aren't very promising .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2022, 02:59:05 AM »
Somehow I have missed this Zac. This is coming on really fine - you seem to have sorted the wing warping out well. Just shows how problems like that are not confined to scratch builders. Some really good detail in the interior too.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2022, 04:59:10 AM »
Thanks folks!

Alexis - good call! I know she has one but she tends to towel instead. Maybe we can negotiate...

Somehow I have missed this Zac. This is coming on really fine - you seem to have sorted the wing warping out well. Just shows how problems like that are not confined to scratch builders. Some really good detail in the interior too.

Stephen.
Thank you Stephen, such praise coming from you makes me feel quite humbled.
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2022, 05:40:16 AM »
Nice job on the wings.  I see you had 'under the table' supervision.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2022, 05:48:40 AM »
Great to see you coped with the bent wings. Watching with interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2022, 03:57:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

I see you had 'under the table' supervision.
If I'm too focused on a build Kylo will go under there, put a paw on my foot, and stare at me for attention. I'm glad we trained him right in the ways of The Bench!

Progress has slowed a bit due to a couple of builds for a friend but the cockpit/engine mount assembly is in and the rudder bar rigged simply, some sanding required to fit. A seat cushion was then made from plasticine added and the seat itself glued into position immediately after the last photo was taken:
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII c.1 (early) by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Some touchups needed for the cushion as I accidentally crushed it while installing the seat, then I'll set about modifying the left fuselage half to early specs following RAGIII's example.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:31:35 PM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ