Author Topic: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732  (Read 13835 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 05:01:35 AM »
I sanded the base of the banks to get rid of a mismatch in heights, but as I'm going OOB I just tried to smoodge them into place as best I could. I'm happy with the result although I expect I'll be doing some adjustments as it's not quite the right angle:
Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII c.1 (early) by Zac Yates, on Flickr

And then I found why they said to install 1Z, 11Z and 12Z together...one of the banks came loose when I installed the two pipes onto the cylinder banks and then tried to twist 1Z into place between them. Not ideal! The instructions are there for a reason, people  ;)

Bughunter

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 05:12:49 AM »
Ok, that will not help you ...

I have build a Hispano-Suiza for my Eduard SE.5a in 1/48 from Eduard. I was impressed by that time about the clever construction with inner cones on two cylinders. I was not possible to glue them in wrong angle  ;D
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.msg179512#msg179512

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 06:39:00 AM »
I was impressed by that time about the clever construction with inner cones on two cylinders. I was not possible to glue them in wrong angle  ;D
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.msg179512#msg179512

Cheers,
Frank
That's clever engineering! I'm sure some extra prep work on my part would've helped avoid the alignment issue.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 07:27:46 AM »
Hi all,
Back from nearly a week away with the in-laws but tempered by the possibility a family member may have COVID and as I've shown some symptoms I had a test this morning. Not an experience I'd recommend. Even if I don't have it, I'm feeling extremely short of breath and tired after going in to get the test and visiting my parents' letterbox to collect our house key (they were kind enough to keep an eye on our cats while we were away).

Anyway, being home means being back at the bench. Hopefully I'll have some progress to share later this week.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:26:36 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 04:19:17 AM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to advise that despite the lack of posted progress this is still on my bench with high priority, however real life has got in the way of modelling somewhat. Nothing serious, just a budding non-modelling, non-Great War project hopefully beginning to bloom. Forgive me for being vague but all will be revealed in good time!

All that said, I don't think there's anything stopping me putting the cockpit and engine mount "pod" assembly together today...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:25:33 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 04:06:57 PM »
I did it team, I actually built something today!  ;D

Definitely worth dry-fitting and sanding the engine mount parts otherwise things will be a bit out of whack, but I'm happy with how this is coming together.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 03:31:30 AM »
Nice progress Zac! I am looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 08:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Rick!

Well, I'm sorry to report I do have a minor amount of wing warping in my kit so I'll study recent guides on how to fix it:

Painting question: is the "floor" area wood, aluminium or just fabric? I don't mind painting over the woodgrain I've already done but I have a sneaking suspicion it should be CDL instead...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »
The wood tone looks great and I think it's correct. Certainly Not CDL. I think there was a floor covering a fuel tank. If I am wrong that means I have 4 SPADs that are incorrect.
RAGIII

PS: I will need to check further because it looks as though I did that floor section in aluminum on My Roden kit. The memorial flight web site is a good reference.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:36:13 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 11:20:55 AM »
Nice progress Zac , can't help you on the type other then you do nice work . :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2022, 12:34:26 AM »
Checked the Memorial flight web site. Looks ike wood to me.
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2022, 03:32:48 AM »
Lovely progress there, Zac! I agree with your colours so far - quite plausible! The wings do need attention regarding the warp - lots of finger pressure, warm water and stressing on my part! Check my thread... Those seat belts in the photos are definitely not WW1 French...  Nice work! Marc.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2022, 04:25:02 AM »
Checked the Memorial flight web site. Looks ike wood to me.
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, I saved a bunch of photos from their site (pre-, mid- and post-restoration) but somehow missed those two!

The wings do need attention regarding the warp - lots of finger pressure, warm water and stressing on my part!
I took the wing out from under my "jig" last night and the warp had only slightly cured - I didn't use any finger pressure, instead relying solely on hot water and the pressure from the cans' weight, so will try that today. Your post is a big help!!

Check my thread... Those seat belts in the photos are definitely not WW1 French...
While the Memorial Flight example is invaluable for interior colour reference I'll bow to your knowledge and follow your lead, Marc. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2022, 09:44:49 AM »
I went with aluminum floors on my bird.  I also came across SPADs that had pieces 3E made from aluminum and some from wood.  I guess it depends on what company made it and when.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2022, 09:59:16 AM »
I went with aluminum floors on my bird.  I also came across SPADs that had pieces 3E made from aluminum and some from wood.  I guess it depends on what company made it and when.

I seem to remember you and I exchanging PMs on this Ken and I think you are correct. In My opinion if doing a Kelner built bird like the Brits used the Memorial flight example is spot on. Not too sure about others but Bleriot may be the Aluminum floor.
RAGIII