Author Topic: Another airship underway: 1/144 Z XII Scratchbuild.  (Read 4108 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: Another airship underway: 1/144 Z XII Scratchbuild.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2022, 06:58:35 PM »
That looks bloody awesome!  Very interested in 'hint hint'.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline MoFo

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2022, 03:37:02 AM »
To Me this looks awesome! Congratulations on achieving your goals!
RAGIII
Thanks, though to be fair, we're not even half way there yet.

Impressive!
You seems to have the whole process under control, from CAD to setup of the printer ... great skills!

Cheers,
Frank
It's pretty satisfying to be able to make something on a screen, and then hold it in your hand later.  And to be able to design and manufacture your own model kit.

Amazing, what a fascinating process - and the quality of the prints look superb!

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased.  One of my other (many) long term projects is a 1/144 Hindenburg (it's 5'8" with a 36" waist, for anyone who's wondering), which I made on a filament printer.  So that's going to entail a TON of filling and sanding...  this one will just be a light rubdown... maybe.  :)  Sooooo much easier.

This is looking great. Can't wait to see the 144 scale model.

Did you ever finish your Q class ship?

Sean

Thanks.  And shhhhhh!  :D  It's like, 90% there.  I'm just a chronic non-finisher.  I really need to get back to it, but rigging the gondolas was going to be less fun than starting the Hindenburg (and sanding that was less fun than starting this one...)

That looks bloody awesome!  Very interested in 'hint hint'.
Thanks.  Guess I need to get on to designing the PE struts, then!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2022, 03:15:05 AM »
One of my other (many) long term projects is a 1/144 Hindenburg (it's 5'8" with a 36" waist, for anyone who's wondering), which I made on a filament printer.  So that's going to entail a TON of filling and sanding...  this one will just be a light rubdown... maybe.  :)  Sooooo much easier.
When I was a teen my Dad and I briefly entertained that but as a radio-controlled project of some kind. I say briefly as we had no idea how to proceed and I think it just ended up being a "wouldn't it be nice"! I'd be VERY excited to see that build on the forum! She'd need her own hangar for sure!
Zac in NZ

Offline MoFo

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2022, 04:15:45 AM »
Small update.  Since the plan (at the moment) is to finish it as a late-career test ship, I needed something cool to dangle underneath.  That means SSW torpedo gliders - one of the first "precision" air to ground munitions.

Scale drawings were imported into Solidworks, then scaled and traced (the measurements are very helpful here):

And the CAD model completed.  Same process as the Zeppelin - various bits were extruded, revolved, cut, shelled and filleted to shape.  I can do a detailed breakdown again, but you probably get the gist:

Designed in 1/144, currently printing in both 1/144 and 1/72.  And for anyone wondering, it's about 50mm/2" long in 1/144.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2022, 04:32:53 AM »
I am really glad you picked that particular torpedogliter. The one on the cover of the data file looks confusingly like a recreational glider whereas this one looks like a weapon. There was a similar looking monoplane version too although I do not know if it was tested from any airship.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2022, 05:07:16 AM »
That is an interesting weapon that I had No Idea existed. I think I need to do some studying of Airships  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline MoFo

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2022, 05:32:22 AM »
You do indeed.  Airships are awesome.  :)

Offline Beto

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2022, 07:33:18 AM »
Very well done torpedo glider. I had only seen it hanging from L35, that also carried an Albatros D.III (late, with D.V type rudder)

Offline MoFo

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2022, 11:34:00 AM »
Cool pic.  Puts the size of the torpedo glider (and Zeppelin itself) into perspective.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2022, 07:03:11 AM »
Cool pic.  Puts the size of the torpedo glider (and Zeppelin itself) into perspective.
That it does - my goodness, what an undertaking!
Zac in NZ

Offline sobrien

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2022, 10:32:09 PM »
Any progress updates?

Sean

Offline MoFo

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2022, 06:20:07 AM »
Your timing is (was?) both impeccable and terrible.

Turns out, the day you posted this was actually new printer day - I finally got the large format resin printer* that I'll be using to produce the Zeppelin.  But, this summer has been crazy busy for me, so I haven't had a chance to do much more than unpack it.  I have *just* run my first calibration print to check out the bed level, so there's finally *kind of* an update, and if nothing else, the update is that there should be some updates in the near-er future, once I get it fully calibrated and run through its paces.

*even that was a big to-do.  I'd originally ordered an Elegoo Jupiter, but it suffered a bunch of delays, and I finally cancelled it when I saw Amazon was listing the newer, slightly bigger Anycubic Max for almost the same price.  Then I decided to wait until Prime day because I was so busy, and in case it was on sale.  Then Elegoo delivered a Jupiter to me anyway.  Then I got a panicked email from someone from Elegoo desperate to get the printer back in case they got fired for accidentally sending it to me.  The UPS guy was angry, because they'd WAY under-listed the weight on the paperwork (it arrived in a wooden crate, so you KNOW it weighs a ton!) and he wasn't equipped to handle it.