Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 29439 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2021, 02:48:33 AM »
Thanks for bearing with me, it's been a while since I have been able to do any modelling but I've managed to get some seats made in the last few days.

The pilot's seat is folded metal but the observer sat on a wicker seat of the type we all know and love.

For the pilot's seat I just cut out some aluminium sheet and added some score lines to make folding easier. This was done with a scalpel, 6 strokes for a cut line and just one for a fold line. By bending the sheet back and forth along the cut lines the required part was easily removed. The seat was then folded and CA'd together before coating with primer. I made a few before I was happy, this photo shows the process but neither of these got used. I will show you the finished item later.

BE2c seats by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The wicker seat involved a bit of trickery, the seats footprint was drawn onto 0.5mm styrene sheet and holes were drilled to receive the uprights. A length of 0.5mm brass rod was inserted into a 1mm copper tube to prevent it kinking while I bent it into shape round a pen top. The brass rod was then bent again to create the uprights. Two more lengths of rod were added to complete the main frame. The copper tube was later treated to a coat of Mr Dissolved putty.

Aluminium wire mesh was then folded around the frame, CA'd into place and carefully snipped into shape with scissors. I left a lot of excess styrene base for ease of handling.

Seat cushions were made from milliput and the piping was added with 0.3mm lead wire. I found it best to glue one side of the 'piping' down before bending the next part of the shape. The wicker weave was done with Prym elastic, probably not the most exciting job but it didn't take as long as I thought..

A lick of paint when I got home from work and the seats are done.

Scratched 1/32 BE2c seats by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Quite a lengthy post for so little progress but I was so excited to be back at the bench at long last. Unfortunately I won't get any time at all next week but hopefully there won't be such a long wait for the next update.

Thanks for reading, have a lovely weekend everybody.

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2021, 06:07:47 PM »
Clever idea with the mesh on the back! This saves a lo of additional wires.
I think you walk around all day thinking, "Can I use this?" for every piece of material you see. I know the feeling...

I could try that in 1/48, but I ordered already a bunch of the nice new seats form Eduard a few days ago.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline DaveB

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
Really clever work on your wicker seat, Richie -

Looks great!

Glad your are getting back at the model bench and that your migraines have hopefully settled down now.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 09:46:43 PM »
Neat bit of trickery there!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2021, 11:06:48 PM »
Nice use of different materials.  That's what scratchbuilds are about.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2021, 12:38:05 AM »
Clever idea with the mesh on the back! This saves a lo of additional wires.
I think you walk around all day thinking, "Can I use this?" for every piece of material you see. I know the feeling...

I could try that in 1/48, but I ordered already a bunch of the nice new seats form Eduard a few days ago.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, yes I'm permanently looking for things that might be useful! I wish I could say the mesh was my idea but I picked up the tip from a scratch builder on Britmodeller. I'll come up with an original one day though! :)

Those Eduard seats are lovely!

Really clever work on your wicker seat, Richie -

Looks great!

Glad your are getting back at the model bench and that your migraines have hopefully settled down now.

Regards

Dave

Cheers Dave, it's great to feel well again. I feel like I'm holiday!

Neat bit of trickery there!

Richard

Cheers Richard,  that mesh certainly made the job easy. I hope you're well. I've missed seeing your work!

Nice use of different materials.  That's what scratchbuilds are about.

Thanks Ken,  love finding new bits and pieces  to use. I'm so glad I took the plunge and had a go last year but there are things I am beginning to miss about kits though!

Unfortunately I won't get anything done for a week now. I hope to get on with the flying controls next so I can finish building the frame. I have a plan in my head so hopefully I won't get bushwacked by any nasty surprises.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2021, 01:15:17 AM »
The Idea May Not have been yours but you executed the Idea extremely well! Outstanding Modeling Richie!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2021, 03:29:50 AM »

Cheers Richard,  that mesh certainly made the job easy. I hope you're well. I've missed seeing your work!

Richie

I'm fine. I go thought these phases when I find whatever hobby I have been doing has lost it's interest - so I do something else. Currently I'm getting on with welding my MG - she'll be 50 on the first of January

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2021, 03:37:40 AM »
Fantastic 1/1 project Richard! I had a 1972 BGT for years. I still miss it 20 years after getting rid of it. What a car that was!

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2021, 04:00:55 AM »
The Idea May Not have been yours but you executed the Idea extremely well! Outstanding Modeling Richie!!
RAGIII

Thanks as ever Rick, it was a small but fun step towards the very distant finish line.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2021, 11:27:01 PM »
That is a very convincing seat Richie: the more so as it has been hand made. Scratch building does offer some interesting challenges, but it can be very rewarding when success is achieved.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »
Getting caught up on your up-dates Richie . The seat turned out not that bad all . It is not an easy item to make . Be proud of what you made , it truly is lovely !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »
Thanks so much for your kind words Stephen and Alexis, I really appreciate it. I'm having to take a little time away from our fantastic hobby but will be back in a few weeks. Life is good but finding time for everything is proving tricky!

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
It's been a bit of a trying year all round since I last did any modelling. I lost use of my modelling space while my better half worked from but she has moved her office station back into the bedroom so I can start work on this again.

I am easing myself back in gently with some simple bits and bobs and hope to have something to post soon. I have missed some incredible builds in the last year. I have much to catch up on!

Cheers all
Richie

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2022, 12:52:50 AM »
That seat is brilliant.