Author Topic: Hannover Cl.II, Jakob Gfrör, WNW-Kit in 1/32  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Fvdm

Re: Hannover Cl.II, Jakob Gfrör, WNW-Kit in 1/32
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 02:25:36 AM »
Wow, great paintjob. Nice progress.

Offline MichaelStieber

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 02:41:08 AM »
Hi  :)

@Lance and RAGIII
Thank you for the very kind comments.  :)

@janh
This is very interesting, so the missing pilot seat seams to be an issue that happens more than once...
Very interesting is also the information that the customer service is still working.
...maybe everyone should check their kits of the Hannover now, before it is too late for replacement...

@Frank
I am very glad that you like my plane so far  :)
The masking of the pattern...well, what you see was only the rehearsal for the fuselage. Thank god, I didn’t knew this when I began... :o
About your Hannover kit, I totally understand that you avoid painting this patterns in the even smaller and more complicated 1/48 scale. On the other hand you could building it as the first prototype which has camouflage patterns, I think about this to do it with my second kit of this plane.

@Fvdm
Thank you for the kind comment.

I expect to post the next part of the report this weekend.
Greetings,
Michael

Offline Europapete

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »
I just checked my kit, the first version issue, 32024, and the pilots seat parts and engine block parts are ok. Great build so far Michael, and thank you for going into such detail about how you worked out the colours and painting technique. I disagree with you on the WNW decal colours, I believe Aviattic decals are far more accurate, BUT, the colour research and process that you display are first class. We can all learn from this method. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 10:48:15 AM »
Hi Michael, I've just came across you build and have to say you've done an incredible job not only researching your colours, but conveying your story here too. I'm very impressed with your work, and looking forward to your updates. Your work is absolutely top-notch indeed.
Cheers,
Gary

Online FAf

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 05:46:51 AM »
Just came across this... I marvel at your patience with the colours. Great looking results too!
/Fredrik

Offline MichaelStieber

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 04:45:11 AM »
Hi  :)

@Pete
Thank you for the kind reply. About the decal colors, well I did some research but i am far away from beeing an expert in this subject. In my opinion the Aviattic colors are a bit bright. Since those decals are semi transparent I used them always on a light-grey basecoat to make them a bit darker. But in the end thats also a bit of personal taste I think.

@Gary and Fredrik
I apprecciated your very kind comments, thank you.

Now to Part 4, Painting the fuselage

Basically I used the same method to paint the lozenge of the fuselage as described before with the middlesection of the wings. That means I first made copies from two Ronny Bar profiles in the right scale and re-arranged the colors a bit, using five color pens. The sides are from different planes, but since every plane was unique handpainted it doesn't matter that much. I have no perfect original pictures of both sides of the plane that I chose to build, so no matter what I do, the pattern will be different than the original anyway...

Now I discovered that the fuselage will be a bit more complicated than wings, because the pattern has to go together all around port side-upper side-starboard side while the wings just had an upper side and a lower side. After sleeping a night over this problem I made another copy of the two fuselage sides in the right distance to another and planned the pattern between them. Again I used pens in five colors to make sure that no same colors are side by side at any point.
Then I did it exactly as with the wings, pinning holes in the lozenge-corners of the masks and transfer them with a ultra-soft pencil to the fuselage...

Masking the fuselage was again very meditative, it took the complete audio-book Lord-of-the-rings and Jules Vernes 20000-miles-under-the-ocean to paint all five colors on the fuselage.
I was very happy with the result, extremely exact shapes and no edges between the colors...so I think it was worth the effort.
Here are some pictures of those journey:

Puh...the basic colors are done  ::)
But at this stage the painting of the fuselage is just half-done. Nearly every Hannover Cl.II has the handpainted lozege oversprayed (is it any wonder why the germans needed so much time to build a plane... ??? )
Again I had some research to find out more of the oversprayed colors, but information was very rare. The facts I used for my color-finding were:
-On good original pictures I can see at least two different overspray colors.
-historic reports (capture reports) and statements from temporary witnesses describe the fuselage often as undefined greenish/bluish.
-the WNW manual also suggests green or blue colors for the overspray.

So my decision was to use a dark green and a medium grey-blue for the overspray.
Before spraying on the fuselage I wanted to get a feeling for the colors and the thinning again, so I sprayed the five fuselage-colors on a piece of plastic card just to get the feeling...

The thinning of the paints in this attempt was good for spraying shades, but too thin for an overspray, so I made more attempts...

This helped me to find my colors and thinning-rate for spraying the overspray, they are:
-dark green: 3x Vallejo Model Air 250, 2x Vallejo Flow Improver, 2x Tamiya X20-A, 4x Vallejo Airbrush Thinner
-greyish blue: 1x Vallejo Model Air 109, 1x Vallejo Flow Improver, 1x Tamiya X20-A, 2x Vallejo Airbrush Thinner
The three thinner-components of those mixes are mixed before adding the paint-component, to avoid clumping of the colors because of the unmixed alcohol component X20-A.

With those color-mixes I started overspraying the fuselage until I thought that it comes close to the appearing on the original pictures.

Unfortunately I forgot to make a picture of the finished overspraying, so I will show here the picture of the completed fuselage with the applied decals.
The yellow stripe on the fuselage is made with masking and the airbrush, the other markings are the excellent decals of the kit.

Thats enough for today...I hope you enjoyed this little report.

Questions, statements and comments are always welcome  :)

Have a nice time.

Greetings,
Michael

Online FAf

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 06:06:01 AM »
Still almost unbelievable amounts of work! But it leads on to a very nice result.

I'm almost surprised you used the decals instead of painting them as well.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »
Extraordinary effort, Michael, and the results show it.  This will be a show stopper!

Offline Europapete

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »
Excellent results Michael, and a really good tutorial also. will print this out and store it in my Hannover box. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
Your hard work has paid off very well, Michael. Very impressive scheme indeed.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 10:59:56 AM »
Beautiful job on the fuselage!  Such commitment!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »
Outstanding paint work on the fuselage. An involved process but worth the effort!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 10:59:20 PM »
You've used the word meditative more than once. That's a great mind set that can get us through a lot of modeling challenges. Something I have to work on - don't be paralyzed by what appears to be unsurmountable problems - relax, one step at a time. Very nice work on this one.

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 02:13:01 AM »
Very nice work indeed  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »
I'm really enjoying all the careful preparation and skillful lozenge painting here. I haven't seen it done like this before, it looks excellent!

Richie