Author Topic: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian  (Read 6960 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2022, 09:43:55 PM »
Nice to see colors on it.

When I was younger (much younger), The only glue available to me for models was the styrene glue.  This taught me to be patient, as I needed to wait until the glue dried before proceeding to the next step of the build.  Then CA glue and 5 min epoxy came along and made me forget the lessons that styrene glue taught me.  I sometimes go back to the styrene glue for certain gluing jobs and then I'm reminded of the lesson.

BTW - good job on the spreader bar.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2022, 10:24:25 PM »
She is looking pretty with colour being added on , yes Tamiya park green is a really nice shade actually . Sorry to hear about your friend and hope he has a speedy recovery .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2022, 01:52:58 AM »
This keeps getting better! The red and green look Fantastic. Is the center CDL?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2022, 07:15:49 AM »
Zac, an airbrush can be a two-edged sword, great effects are possible but a glorious mess as well! The learning curve is quite steep with so many things affecting the result, sometimes it feels like sorcery! I had a really good friend when I was much younger, he was a professional modeller, and I eventually bought the same equipment as him (Badger 150 in those days) and did my airbrushing in his modelling room, monkey see, monkey do and "Why has this just gone terribly wrong, Bruce??". Without that help I don't think it would have been easy at all...
I have a friend a couple of hours' drive away who is kind enough to do my airbrushing but I expect would be more than happy to act as mentor when the stars align and I can invest in a set-up of my own.

The colours look pretty, anyway.
I'll say!!
Zac in NZ

Offline Monty

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2022, 07:05:36 PM »
Thank you Przemo! Yes, there are wonderful Italian foods - like Pizza! I am waiting patiently for the paint to cure completely... I even put it in the sun for a few minutes each day! Great to have you checking in Ken, I'm still referring to your build all the time - mine will never be as good! I'm still a bit confused about the way to paint the strut fittings and the metal spreader and control bars - black for early 13's has been documented, and blue is the flavour at the moment - in the Baracca photo they look dark. The centre section struts in many photos seem to be in the fuselage camo colours on some late examples! We may never know for sure... Thanks for your comments, Rick. Yes, I will mask off the colours (when quite dry) and paint the rest of the undersurfaces CDL or an impression thereof. (Confusing research here - light blue - grey also called out!). Zac, I can only fully recommend you go for a few airbrushing lessons with your friend! It does indeed open up new dimensions in your modelling... These days with no-name and cheaper brands it need not cost so much - and they do perform as well as the 50 year old Badger design...

Well, I spent time cleaning up the struts, big sprue attachment points and lots of flash so quite a chore... the painting in the back-gound (for research purposes only) shows an interpretation of the colours I mentioned above... I know a little strut is missing, he has been reunited with his buddies however...

Regards,

Marc

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2022, 06:02:58 AM »
Zac, I can only fully recommend you go for a few airbrushing lessons with your friend! It does indeed open up new dimensions in your modelling... These days with no-name and cheaper brands it need not cost so much - and they do perform as well as the 50 year old Badger design...
An idea I'm sure he'd be only too keen to embrace  :) I have job irons in the fire that hopefully will mean full-time work and disposable income in my future. Fingers crossed!
Zac in NZ

Bughunter

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2022, 06:58:58 AM »
Marc, Your Italian colors look wonderful!

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2022, 03:51:43 AM »
Nice work on cleaning the struts. As always I look forward to the next update.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler