Author Topic: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early  (Read 10303 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 01:44:17 AM »
Thanks EBF and Guy!
A short break now but I've added green paint and started drilling holes for the engine frame wires. I also need to decide on whether to try Rick's wrinkles or not.

Cheers Fredrik
'
One thing I forgot to mention. If you use the Acrylic Craft paint there is one advantage. If you don't like how it is going it is easy to clean off with water and start over. ( Prior to totally drying and sealing).  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 05:25:27 AM »
Thanks Rick! Still undecided on whether to try this on this build or the next...

Help needed!

I'm not ready to start rigging yet, but when planning ahead I can't understand one thing about the control wires.

If you look at the rigging diagram given by CSM there is a wire that runs along the underside of the top wing, from the cockpit area to the outer struts and I think it then goes up through the top wing and connects to the ailerons. You can also see it in the period photo from Wikipedia commons

What I can't see/understand is if this wire somehow connects directly to the pilots controls. There doesn't seem to be any wires going down in front of the pilot.

Could it be that the ailerons are controlled by the wires connected to the control stick and coming out of the fuselage like on the Brisfit. They go through the bottom wing and connect to the control bottom ailerons. The bottom and top ailerons are then interconnected, so the  force from the control stick goes on to the top wing where the wire then goes through the topwing to become this mystery wire AND that wire is only a way to reinforce the pilots movements of the stick. So it simply runs from one set of ailerons to the other?!

Cheers Fredrik

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 12:08:40 AM »
I'm currently building this model as well, and have enjoyed your progress.  Your engine details are amazing.  I've studied the wiring diagram in the instruction book, datafile, and period photos.  I don't think the wire runs inside the lower wing at all.  It looks like the aileron wire runs from the control stick through the fuselage sides to a spot near the front outer strut on the bottom wings.  It goes down through the wing at this point and exits on the bottom of the wing and connects to the control horn.  Wires connect the ailerons of the top and bottom wings.  The wire on the top wing runs from one control horn to a location by the front outer strut, where it enters the wing, then exits on the bottom side and runs along the backside of all the forward struts to the same location on the opposite side of the wing, through the wing to the top side and back to the opposite control horn.  Basically the wire completes a loop from the stick to one lower wing, to the upper and across, and back to the other lower wing and back to the stick.  It's an interesting arrangement to me and it must have required several pulleys in each wing so the wire could enter and exit in a different direction.  I wonder how smooth the controls were?

On the model, there are holes located on the fuselage for the aileron wires to exit and there are holes located on the wings near the front outer struts as well.  Hope this is helpful.

Offline FAf

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 01:12:26 AM »
Big Sky Modeller! Thank you so much!
That is my interpretation as well, but your explanation is much better than mine... I'll go with the loop idea!

Good luck with your build!
/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 03:36:03 AM »
Ok, so again the intended short break turned into a slightly longer break... but on the other hand there has been quite a lot of progress the past couple of days.

Top and bottom colours sprayed as well as shading. With a slight mishap... I didn't really keep track of what was top side and bottom side for the ailerons, so they had to be resprayed.

Someone here at the forum mentioned the idea of paper masks when spraying the PC10 border on the bottom side wings. Good idea, but stupidly enough I didn't realise that when you shrink a 1:1 picture of the wing, it will obviously become shorter as well.  ::) Not too tricky to fix though and the masks worked well enough. Next time I might use the idea for the wing tips but mask the rest using tape.

Time for markings and here you see the painting of them in progress. In the first picture the white has been painted and red is up next. In the second picture the last step has been painted - the thin white outline. You can't really paint all of the white at once, since the mask for the thin outline is very difficult to place back onto the model in a good way. That means that this has to be the last step.

Despite my best efforts, there was a bit of spray dust creeping under the masking. Using masks when the surface is very three dimensional is tricky that way. It's been sorted now.

And finally there have been some more additions around the engine, the etched parts for the rigging attachements have been added to the wings, some additional rigging attachements not supplied with the kit had to be added at the centre of the top wing and the scarff ring and Lewis gun is ready to be installed.

Thanks for watching!
/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 04:10:49 AM »
By the way... if I want to paint my Cooper bombs and install them, what colour should I use?!
/F

Online Gisbod

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 06:16:44 AM »
Good grief Fredrik!

Stunning! That’s the nicest 1/48 build I’ve seen I reckon. Flawless. I’m going to send round the doping agency - you must be taking illegal substances…  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 06:37:02 AM »
Hi Fredrik, do you man these?

Willem

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
Beautiful work !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »
i'm glad it's not just me who cocks up the painting, on my Camel a while back i painted the under sides of the horizontal stabilizers are rather fetching shade of green  ::) :)

this build is looking beautiful and i'm looking forward to seeing it come together

Offline FAf

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2021, 09:23:49 PM »
Thanks Guy, but I think you might have missed a few other builds... However, I am very pleased so far.

Willem - yes, and I can see that they are dark yellow of sorts, but any suggestions for a colour make and number?

Alexis - thanks!

EBF - Well, there are always some mistakes along the way and I'm sure we all make them. They add charachter to the build I tell my self!  ;)

/F

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2021, 10:39:21 PM »
I have a look in my "archive" 

;)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
Great detail work, Fredric.  Are the PE parts from the kit? or are you adding from another source?

Offline RichieW

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2021, 11:15:24 PM »
Great progress Fredrik, the PC10 border on the lower wing surfaces looks perfect. I only had to do that once before and found it really tricky. I did exactly the same as you with the ailerons before. Easily fixed but so annoying.Your engine is astonishing!

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2021, 11:33:13 PM »
Hi Fredrik,

Used WNW DH.9a Ninak post war: mustard yellow matt (Tamiya XF60)

According to https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C222341 : "...The bomb is painted brown and has a green and red band painted around the bomb casing...."

And here is some more information:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Various/Bombs-brit/

Hope this helps

Willem