Author Topic: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early  (Read 10275 times)

Offline FAf

CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:53:40 AM »
It's been a while and my last two build threads are still not finished - a Fokker E.II and D.VIII both waiting for propellers. Anyway, I thought I'd lure myself back to the modelling desk by starting this new thread. This time you only get the box and its contents, but hopefully more progress and pictures will follow soon. The model looks great and the summer holidays are just around the corner...
/F

Offline RAGIII

Re: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 05:14:07 AM »
Welcome back to a Build Log  ;D I am looking forward to seeing your work on this Lovely Kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
I'll follow you, I have the mid version and I'm very curious about this kit!

Antonio

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of your work, I'm looking forward to this one!

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 11:58:08 AM »
Looking forward to this  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »
Oooh Can’t wait Fredrik!

Love your work  :)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:14:51 AM »
Oooh Can’t wait Fredrik!
Oh yes, me too!
I will watch closely, even I have like Antonio the mid version in my stash.

It is a nice gesture by CSM to add spare PE parts for the cowling (on the mid and late there seems to be 3 cowlings, one nickel silber ? and two brass). On the hand this shows, that the usage of those PE parts seems to be not an easy job.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FAf

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Thank you for your support and interest, all of you!

I do realise that pictures of the box(es) and the contents hardly can be seen as enough if one is doing a build log, so here are some progress pics.

It's a beatuiful model. Very crisp details and the fit is precise, to say the least. Extra coats of glue or colour can easily create issues when fitting individual pieces together. I'm sure I'll have reason to come back to this later on.

I started the build with the separation of the ailerons from the main wings. You can see that I did slip a little in the process and caused some damage to the wing, but I think it's all gone now.

The only flaw so far concerns part C6. It's supposed to have a photoetched part attached to it and this will later take the control wires for the elevators. However, the rod part was missing from both of my C6 parts and they are so tiny/flimsy that it's difficult to add it. Instead I decided to skip the plastic part altogether and add the rod using brass tubing. Turned out pretty well actually.

And finally (for now) everything is readied for primer.

Not a lot to show, but it does constitute as progress I think and even small steps are steps.
/F

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:31 PM »
Good job on that repair.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:47:00 PM »
Have done that more times then I can count having to make that repair after cutting out the flight controls and I very confident ..in that I will make this error again .

Repair looks great as well the rebuild of C6 .

Alexis 
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
The control horns and rods came out great! I almost always slip when separating the control surfaces  :o You seem to have dealt with the repair just fine.  Nice to see you moving forward on this one!
RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 05:59:54 AM »
Thanks Kensar, Alexis and Rick! I had a second look at that scratched wing just to confirm that everything was ok with the primer on - and it was...
So moving on: there is some wood on the insides and I started out by painting basic colours - Tamiya desert yellow for the darker wood tones and Gunze light brown for some of the lighter tones and then oils of different kinds. Detail painting is not done yet. Note the photoetched rack for the Lewis ammunition drums in the third picture. Looks perhaps a bit tricky, but it really wasn't.

It would probably have been a lot easier to paint the linen colour first and then mask that in order to paint the wood, but I did it the other way around which caused a few touch ups to be necessary. I did take care of a couple of the ejector pin marks, but thought the remaining ones wouldn't be seen once the fuselage was assembled, so I left those.

Wires added using brass tubing and monofilament. Possibly there should have been a couple of more wires towards the back. After that it was time to start adding bits and pieces to the fuselage halves. The wires do interfere a little with the plastic parts, but it's not a massive problem despite the small tolerances in the kit.

Cheers
Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 06:11:33 AM »
A lot of work for nice cockpit parts! I hope that some of those are visible later.
The rack for the drums is impressive!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 06:33:41 AM »
A lot of work for nice cockpit parts! I hope that some of those are visible later.
The rack for the drums is impressive!

Cheers,
Frank

Beautiful cockpit work. The wood grains are extremely well done! It is funny that in a post showing lots of great work one small thing stands out. The spare ammo drum box also caught My Eye immediately!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 07:30:21 AM »
Nice work on the interior bits  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch