Author Topic: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Gisbod

Re: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »
Looking good Fredrik!

Looks a nice kit  :D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline FAf

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 04:50:27 AM »
Thank you Frank, Rick, Alexis and Guy!
Yes, the spare ammo drum rack is beautiful. Well done there CSM! You will see it installed and loaded with ammo drums a bit further down.

A lot of work for nice cockpit parts! I hope that some of those are visible later.

So do I Frank. I always find it a bit tricky to know how much work one should do and so tend to over work details that end up hidden. This time though I ignored some bits, thinking that they wouldn't be visible later, but had to go back and fix them as dry fitting seemed to reveal that they would indeed be visible... but then again they mightn't be once the top wing and all other bits are in place. Anyhow, this is the rather large fuel tank that sits between pilot and observer. Quite ugly seams I didn't think I hade to care about.

Dry fitting showed that the flat end facing the observer's seat would be visible and that it had to be sorted. Easiest option was to cut a thin disc from plasticard and glue it on top of the seam.

There are control wires running from the rudder pedals and towards the back. It's a little unclear how these actually should be placed, but in the end I just let them pass through the observer's pit and used a couple of short lengths of brass tubing to guide them once out of sight. The tubes also make tightening a lot easier.

You might remember that I missed a few internal bracing wires behind the observer. Once the spare ammo rack was in position I could simply place another piece of brass tubing to make it look like there is a wire there too. Lucky!

Other bits have been painted and installed in the fuselage halves. I do think CSM could have supplied better painting instructions, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the fit of the parts!

And finally the IP with paint and decals. I did manage to destroy the compass(?) decal in the centre.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline Monty

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 05:04:42 AM »
Stunning work, Fredrik! I'm enjoying the progress immensely! Some lovely moulding by CSM.... Regards, Marc

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »
Fantastic work done in the cockpit so far , really love the different wood tones  :) Yes that is the compass and I wouldn't worry about it . With the scale this wouldn't be very visible . It's perfect just the way it is  :)

Alexis   
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 03:58:11 AM »
The cockpit details look even Better in place! Simply lovely work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 05:04:11 AM »
Stunning interior Fredrik, some seriously skillful work going into this!

Richie

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2021, 04:35:43 AM »
That's great work Fredrik. You did a mighty fine job so far.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 07:58:14 AM »
loving your work on this build, the interior is looking awesome

Offline FAf

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2021, 05:26:37 AM »
Hello again and thank you Marc, Alexis, Rick, Richie, Fvdm and Early Bird Fan for your interest in and comments on this build.

Alexis - I took your advice and just moved on with the build, ignoring the marred decal.

I couldn't really decide on how to move forward and the main issue was the engine. Not as supplied by CSM, because they did a good job on it, but because I started toying with the idea of leaving one or two engine panels off. This meant that more details had to be added. First up was a panel at the very bottom of the engine room. First picture without and second picture with the panel. Panel made from a tea light.

Work done on the engine. Created openings in the solid rockers. I initially thought about removing them completely and building new ones, but I think they turned out well this way.

Engine work... Black base, MRP Copper, Vallejo aluminium, Gunze brass, brass vents(?) made from brass tubing, pushrods from wire,

Next update soon... more engine work.
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 05:35:40 AM »
Love it Fredrik, that update has brought a big smile to my face. What an amazing engine, those rockers look fantastic, it must have been a delicate operation to modify them. I love the idea of using a tea light as a source of material. I shall add a few to stash of bits and bobs. Fantastic!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 05:53:31 AM »
The engine is gorgeous, especially the rockers! I also love the tea light used for the lower panel!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 06:37:41 AM »
ingenious use of a tea light, definately not something i would have thought of but have made a note of it  :D

that engine is looking superb  8)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
Looking superb, Fredrik  :o
Very nice.

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline DaveB