Author Topic: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early  (Read 10311 times)

Online FAf

Re: CSM 1/48 Armstrong Withworth FK8 Early
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 06:04:32 AM »
Thank you so much Willem! Tamiya XF60 it is.

Great progress Fredrik, the PC10 border on the lower wing surfaces looks perfect. I only had to do that once before and found it really tricky. I did exactly the same as you with the ailerons before. Easily fixed but so annoying.Your engine is astonishing!

Richie

Thanks Richie! If you can reduce an image of the wings by a few percent, then at least you have a good mask for the wingtips and the rest is fairly easy masking on most planes.

Great detail work, Fredric.  Are the PE parts from the kit? or are you adding from another source?

Ken, the PE comes with the kit. I think I included a pic in my first post. The only additions so far are turnbuckles and the Lewis gun from Gaspatch, copper wires, brass tubing and monofilament for the rigging.

Cheers
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2021, 08:14:39 AM »
What a great kit, what a beautiful paint job, what a skilled builder - what a lovely model!

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2021, 12:52:18 AM »
Your paintwork is excellent and the detail work is superb!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online FAf

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2021, 05:04:47 AM »
Thanks for your comments Rick and Frank! They are very apprieciated.

Not much more done since the last post, but I did spray some of Mr Paint's semi-matte varnish on the fabric areas and I noticed afterwards that my white markings had changed in appearance... see the two pics below. Could it be that Mr. Paint actually dissolves the paint a little and my thinly sprayed white markings get mixed a bit with the underlying green?! Nevermind the strange scratchmarks on the triangle in the first pic. Those are remnants of a fingerprint.

I also had to attach the lower wings. Just to get a feel for what it'll look like later on.

/F

Online RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2021, 05:10:33 AM »
Awesome paint work. The shading on the triangle markings is especially well Done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2021, 07:10:44 PM »
Hi Fredrik, I have noticed with Mr Paint that touch ups are dangerous as the new paint dissolves the base coat. Maybe the same happened with the varnish. In this case perhaps it is a happy accident because if it caused the darkening of the white triangles it looks really great! I suspect field applied markings like these might well have worn like this and white would never stay white for very long anyway! Still looking awesome!!! :)

Richie

Online FAf

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2021, 04:57:34 AM »
Awesome paint work. The shading on the triangle markings is especially well Done!
RAGIII

Hi Rick! Glad you like the shading, but it's pure luck!  8)

Hi Fredrik, I have noticed with Mr Paint that touch ups are dangerous as the new paint dissolves the base coat. Maybe the same happened with the varnish. In this case perhaps it is a happy accident because if it caused the darkening of the white triangles it looks really great! I suspect field applied markings like these might well have worn like this and white would never stay white for very long anyway! Still looking awesome!!! :)

Richie

Thanks Richie! So my suspicion was right then. But like you suggests, maybe it was a happy accident.

I do have the same issue on the tail fin... where one set of numbers is white and the other has taken on a much darker hue. I think I'll leave it like that, rather than respraying the entire fin, but I haven't decided yet.

/Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2021, 10:01:37 PM »
I think the variation in the paint adds character - less weathering to do later!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2021, 11:05:50 PM »
I agree with the others Fredrik, it makes it all the more alive. I would also qualify it as a "happy mistake".

Willem

Offline Borsos

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2021, 04:33:28 AM »
That’s a really great looking model. Straight on the way to become a masterpiece!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online FAf

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »
Thanks Ken, Willem and Andreas!
I just consider myself lucky and move on with a very nice model. Let's see if I can get the struts into place today.
/Fredrik

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
lovely looking paint job, as above i'd be inclined to leave the happy accidents as they are as it ads a bit of character and realism

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2021, 05:52:37 AM »
It has been awhile since I last had a peek at your build , Outstanding so Fredrik ! love you paint work  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online FAf

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
Thanks EBF and Alexis!
I have left the accidental paint results in place and have started the rigging in earnest - pictures will be coming shortly. Yesterday I created short lengths of tubing for the attachement points - counted to about 60 needed for the upper wing attachments only. Fun work!  ::)
/Fredrik

Online FAf

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2021, 06:56:25 AM »
There are alot of wires on this one. More than on any other model I've built so far. I thought that the next step would be to attach the struts and the top wing, but I probably need to attach the radiator bits first as well as the elevator controls and a few other bits and pieces. Moving in the right direction though.

/Fredrik