Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Scale SSW DIII: Udet Jasta 4  (Read 20338 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd Scale SSW DIII: Udet Jasta 4
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2021, 06:15:25 AM »
Those vents do look convincing Rick, and at least they are on the underside where any irregularities will not be obvious. The "rough" coloration on the original was probably rough because it was applied in a hurry by a ground-crewman in a hurry who had been allocated the job and wanted to finish it quickly so that he could have a beer and go to bed! I sometimes think that we modellers forget how rough and ready some aircraft markings were: a close study of photographs sometimes reveals that finishes were a bit "rough" if they had been applied in the field. For me at least, "rough" means realistic, but I am aware that (as usual) I am in a minority!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen and of course I agree about the rough hastily painted Markings. A look at Almenroeders and MvR's Albatros DIII's are a prime example!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »
The chin pan isn't an easy roll , nice work on that Rick  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2021, 10:57:31 PM »
The chin pan isn't an easy roll , nice work on that Rick  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis! I am now trying to figure out how I will attach the landing gear leg to that panel? All suggestions are welcome  8)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »
Hi Rick ,

I had to go back to my build thread to check on how I did it . Couldn't remember  ::) I ended up drilling location holes in the brass chin ( bigger )? and pinned the struts in place .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Matti

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2021, 03:15:07 AM »
Moving along nicely !

How long it took for those Aviattic decals to arrive? I have been waiting my order for two weeks now, usually it took 1 week from UK to Finland, after Brexit who knows   :-\

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2021, 04:08:40 AM »
Hi Rick ,

I had to go back to my build thread to check on how I did it . Couldn't remember  ::) I ended up drilling location holes in the brass chin ( bigger )? and pinned the struts in place .

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I guess I will be forced to get some of those Carbide Drill bits as I don't think My XACTO bits will do the job. Any recommendations on sizes for drilling and pinning struts and of course rigging holes?
RAGIII

Moving along nicely !

How long it took for those Aviattic decals to arrive? I have been waiting my order for two weeks now, usually it took 1 week from UK to Finland, after Brexit who knows   :-\

Thanks Matti! It took just a few days shorty of a month. That isn't surprising as our US Postal system has been pretty bad in the last year. It used to take just a couple of weeks!  :'(
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
Hi Rick ,

I didn't have any troubles drilling the brass . It's thin enough for an X-Acto drill bit to work . I believe I used 0.05mm for the bit and brass rod for the pins . Could have been 0.04mm as well . The holes on the chin can also be enlarged with a rounded needle file .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2021, 02:02:57 PM »
Hi Rick ,

I didn't have any troubles drilling the brass . It's thin enough for an X-Acto drill bit to work . I believe I used 0.05mm for the bit and brass rod for the pins . Could have been 0.04mm as well . The holes on the chin can also be enlarged with a rounded needle file .

Alexis

Thanks Alexis, I will give it a shot with what I have on hand. So today I made more progress. I have applied the Aviatic Lozenge to the undersides. I used the "Fresh" version as I figured this one was acquired by Udet and saw little service. Lower wing covered spanwise and upper is 45 degree angle! I also used a Mix of Tamiya Clear Orange and Smoke to simulate fresh oil stains. I kind of like the results  8)
RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:07:22 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2021, 04:35:48 PM »
I like the lozenge and the red fuselage.  Nice and colourful.  The clear orange and smoke looks very good. One can think you used real oil.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
Veri nice effect, Richard!
er me

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2021, 10:02:00 PM »
Thumbs up Rick , looking very very nice !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RichieW

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2021, 10:20:28 PM »
Super work Rick, this is looking really beautiful. Those oil stains looks perfect. I watched a video on YouTube of a Bristol Scout which showed before and after photos at an air display. The oil stains looked very much like what you have done.

Richie

Offline Monty

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2021, 12:48:25 AM »
Amazing work on this one, Rick! I do like the extra detail and your colour rendition is superb! Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2021, 12:50:37 AM »
I like the lozenge and the red fuselage.  Nice and colourful.  The clear orange and smoke looks very good. One can think you used real oil.

Thanks Ferry!

Veri nice effect, Richard!
er me

Thanks GP! I will continue to experiment with the Mix.
RAGIII

Thumbs up Rick , looking very very nice !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I managed to add the lozenge to the top side of the upper wing before I gave out last night  ;D
RAGIII

Super work Rick, this is looking really beautiful. Those oil stains looks perfect. I watched a video on YouTube of a Bristol Scout which showed before and after photos at an air display. The oil stains looked very much like what you have done.

Richie

Thanks for the comment Richie!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2021, 12:53:24 AM »
Amazing work on this one, Rick! I do like the extra detail and your colour rendition is superb! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc. The color looks a little less bright in real life  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:33:38 AM by RAGIII »