Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)  (Read 17442 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2021, 06:17:28 AM »
Looking great now you have the bracing wires in!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave! I am much relieved that I was able to install the wires without ripping off the lower wings  8)
RAGIII

Congratulations on your success with the lower wing - I knew that you would be able to do it. The finish and rigging are first class - and another super model is shortly going to land in your display cabinet. Am looking forward to seeing the finished model pics.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. Hopefully I am past the most dangerous stages now  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online macsporran

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Hey Rick, I seldom follow step-by-step builds but had to delve into this one after starting a Roden Nie 27.

Firstly, congrats and deep respect for what you've achieved here. Looks amazing and nobody would know what you've had to go through to  pull this pig's ear into shape.
I've always defended Roden 1/32 kits having built several and indeed finding the Albatros D.III to be an excellent kit with perfect strut anchor points etc. However I'm building a CSM XVII and decided to do a Roden 27 at the same time. Oh my goodness, I see now why so many have criticized them. It really is a bit of a toy with very soft details and the comparison with CSM does it no favours. (The only plus point is fewer gate points to clean up - a bugbear with CSM, but of course these help guarantee the sharp detailing!)
I was tempted to just glue it together and use as a mule for an exterior paint job, but your perseverance has encouraged me to take a deep breath and dive in again.
(I've got 50 WNW kits staring at me from the stash - and life's hourglass is not filling itself up again - why the hell did I decide to spend my time on this one?)
Anyway, thank you for showing a way through the labyrinth - and admiration for the beautiful swan you have drawn from a very ugly duckling.
Sandy

Online RAGIII

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2021, 08:15:36 PM »
Hey Rick, I seldom follow step-by-step builds but had to delve into this one after starting a Roden Nie 27.

Firstly, congrats and deep respect for what you've achieved here. Looks amazing and nobody would know what you've had to go through to  pull this pig's ear into shape.
I've always defended Roden 1/32 kits having built several and indeed finding the Albatros D.III to be an excellent kit with perfect strut anchor points etc. However I'm building a CSM XVII and decided to do a Roden 27 at the same time. Oh my goodness, I see now why so many have criticized them. It really is a bit of a toy with very soft details and the comparison with CSM does it no favours. (The only plus point is fewer gate points to clean up - a bugbear with CSM, but of course these help guarantee the sharp detailing!)
I was tempted to just glue it together and use as a mule for an exterior paint job, but your perseverance has encouraged me to take a deep breath and dive in again.
(I've got 50 WNW kits staring at me from the stash - and life's hourglass is not filling itself up again - why the hell did I decide to spend my time on this one?)
Anyway, thank you for showing a way through the labyrinth - and admiration for the beautiful swan you have drawn from a very ugly duckling.
Sandy

Thanks Sandy! If you read from the beginning you know that I also started mine at the same time as a CSM Nieuport. This one, or rather the one I started and dropped the cell phone on, was shelved for a couple of years. Of all of the Roden kits this one stands alone as the Most Challenging. I am pretty sure I mentioned and or you are aware that this kit was originally intended for a limited run, to be molded by Roden for another company.  My advice is to take your time and make sure all of the struts line up, especially the cabanes as they set the tone for lower wing alingment. I am glad My build has inspired you to try yours again! I also thank you again for the compliments. This one will Never be a contest bird but provideing I have No more accidents it will be a satisfying build!
RAGIII

PS: Here is another inspiring build although Photo Bucket has made it difficult to view properly:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2490.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 11:22:55 PM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
Nice work, Rick.  It's looking more complete with the rigging on it.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2021, 10:18:15 PM »
Excellent job on the rigging Rick  8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »
Nice work, Rick.  It's looking more complete with the rigging on it.

Thanks Ken!
RAGIII

Excellent job on the rigging Rick  8)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis!
RAGIII

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2021, 12:27:46 AM »
Top work, Rick. Clean build and a nice decent weathering. The silver looks great.
Bye Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Matti

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2021, 12:39:40 AM »
Great looking model, can't wait to see it finished. Will you make a base for this?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2021, 04:10:23 AM »
Top work, Rick. Clean build and a nice decent weathering. The silver looks great.
Bye Manni

Thanks Manni! I appreciate the comments.
RAGIII

Great looking model, can't wait to see it finished. Will you make a base for this?

Thanks Matti. Not sure about a base yet  8)
RAGIII

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »
What a fantastic model! I really like the weathering.  It's so subtle and nicely done. The rigging is also excellent 👌.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2021, 12:54:10 AM »
What a fantastic model! I really like the weathering.  It's so subtle and nicely done. The rigging is also excellent 👌.

Thanks for the comment!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »
This should be the last update before completed photos are posted. I have added all of the rest of the rigging. I have also painted and added the S&M Turnbuckles. A little touch up and final clear coats is all it lacks.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:07:30 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Monty

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2021, 03:37:33 AM »
This is looking quite amazing, Rick, a really clean beautiful build in the end! I do like your weathering effects. This model looks the part though, stunning colour scheme too... and probably unique! You are a mentor to many of us... Regards, Marc.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2021, 06:20:13 AM »
It's been a fight but you're the winner Rick. That's another superb model going in your display case. The lower wing problem you had doesn't show at all. It's just a fantastic model of a beautiful biplane in a great colour scheme. Like Monty said, love the weathering!

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2021, 07:55:01 AM »
I agree with Monty and Richie Rick: that is an excellent model which is a product of patience and perseverance. I certainly cannot see the lower wing joint, and the weathering is spot on.

Stephen.