Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)  (Read 18338 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd Nieuport 24bis SPA 124: Part Two( 2.5)
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:01 PM »
As usual, outstanding modelling Rick!

I'm always amazed by the tempo with which you build and yet maintaining this high standard.

Your completed models must take up a lot of shelf space by now.

Any chance of posting some overview pics of them?

Willem

You asked for an overview of the collection so here is the best I can do:
RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:54:39 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2021, 12:51:24 AM »
That is one amazing collection Rick! I can imagine you sitting in a chair in front of them, admiring your own work. I know I would!

In a former life I had a dozen or so, mainly WWII 1/72 Airfix, but I moved a couple of times to often and they simply didn't survive. I have a moderate stash (WWI only) and I'm thinking of taking out the Port Victoria PV.7 to build alongside the HP V/1500 (No, I didn't abandon it, I'm still working on it)

Thanks for posting this Rick!

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2021, 12:58:08 AM »
Fantastic collection there Rick, that represents many hours of time very well spent!

The Luftwaffe aircraft are so bright and colourful, I've never built one. Not even the famous red Triplane, this has to be put right! If what I produce comes out anything like yours I will be very happy!

Finally, although slightly off topic, I love that Hurricane. I always go a bit gushy whenever I see one in the flesh or just a model. What a brilliant design by Sydney Camm. An 8 gun monoplane that could be produced quickly using existing knowledge and jigs, was cheap, easily repairable and could take an absolute battering and still be flown home.

Thanks for showing us your amazing collection!

Richie

Offline Monty

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2021, 09:58:01 PM »
That 24 is looking quite superb, Rick. Sorry about the disaster though, you get more of your fair share! But a great recovery. I think that attaching the top wing first and using this to line up and support the lower wings is the way to go, I think I was planning something similar on mine before Covid erased my memory! The collection is stunning, thanks for posting! Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
That is one amazing collection Rick! I can imagine you sitting in a chair in front of them, admiring your own work. I know I would!

In a former life I had a dozen or so, mainly WWII 1/72 Airfix, but I moved a couple of times to often and they simply didn't survive. I have a moderate stash (WWI only) and I'm thinking of taking out the Port Victoria PV.7 to build alongside the HP V/1500 (No, I didn't abandon it, I'm still working on it)

Thanks for posting this Rick!

Willem
Glad to here you are still working on the HP!
You are welcome  ;D 

Fantastic collection there Rick, that represents many hours of time very well spent!

The Luftwaffe aircraft are so bright and colourful, I've never built one. Not even the famous red Triplane, this has to be put right! If what I produce comes out anything like yours I will be very happy!

Finally, although slightly off topic, I love that Hurricane. I always go a bit gushy whenever I see one in the flesh or just a model. What a brilliant design by Sydney Camm. An 8 gun monoplane that could be produced quickly using existing knowledge and jigs, was cheap, easily repairable and could take an absolute battering and still be flown home.

Thanks for showing us your amazing collection!

Richie

Thanks Richie. The colors are one of the Reasons it was nicknamed "The Circus" by the British and USAS Flyers  8) AS for the Hurricane it is a cool aircraft. The 1/48th kits on the top of the case are almost all that is lefet of My 1/48th collection. I gave the bulk of them away several Months ago and these will follow suit soon. The Meteor ( 1/32nd) will stay  ;D
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »
That 24 is looking quite superb, Rick. Sorry about the disaster though, you get more of your fair share! But a great recovery. I think that attaching the top wing first and using this to line up and support the lower wings is the way to go, I think I was planning something similar on mine before Covid erased my memory! The collection is stunning, thanks for posting! Marc.

Thanks Marc. I think My approach on the 24 wings was good I just rushed things and didn't quite get the cuts right. If I ever do another I know now what not to do  :o Also thanks for the comments on the collection  8)
RAGIII

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2021, 05:20:22 AM »
O wow, what a great collection.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2021, 05:21:41 AM »
Good to see all of them !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2021, 05:25:00 AM »
Outstanding collection.  :o
You can be very proud of it, Rick.
Chapeau, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2021, 05:08:09 AM »
O wow, what a great collection.

Thanks Ferry!
RAGIII

Good to see all of them !!

Ed

Thanks Amigo!
RAGIII

Outstanding collection.  :o
You can be very proud of it, Rick.
Chapeau, Manni

Thanks Manni! By the way it is great to hear from you as it has been a while!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
It has been a while without updates on this one but never fear it is still in the process of being built  ::) The filling of the wing root did not go as easily as I had hoped! I think I have it where I can accept the results now....Hopefully! Ready to touch up paint now!
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2021, 06:45:54 PM »
That wing root. Did the 24bis do away with the pivoting lower wing then?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2021, 10:03:58 PM »

Richard

I have to admit to knowing Nothing about a "Pivoting" wing. That being said the photos make it look like the wings are filled solid to the fuselage. There is still a space between root and fuselage just not as large as before.
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:38 PM »

Richard

I have to admit to knowing Nothing about a "Pivoting" wing. That being said the photos make it look like the wings are filled solid to the fuselage. There is still a space between root and fuselage just not as large as before.
RAGIII

I'd say that was unlikely

Going waaaay back, Nieuport introduced the Sesquiplane design with the XB. One of the special features was the ability of the pilot to change the angle of attack of the lower wing via a lever in the cockpit

To do this, the wing had one spar, and it pivoted in a socket in the end of a tube running across the bottom of the cockpit. This apparently a Nie 23:

You can see the socket on the bottom longeron

Because of wanting to make the wing pivot, it lead to several features that are characteristic of the little Nieuports:

The wing is narrow chord because it has only one spar
The outer struts are a vee so the wing can pivot around the base
It has a cylindrical connection to the fuselage

Only the XB seems to have had the control lever, all subsequent Nieuports kept the narrow chord, single spar wing. The socket seems to have been useful in rigging the aeroplane

Incidentally, this single spar wing may well be why the Nieuports suffered from lower wing flutter and failure

So - I wouldn't expect to find the lower wing of a 24bis to be fully faired to the fuselage - there should be a join. Otherwise they couldn't take the wings off

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
Not a bad turn out on the lower wings Rick . Once the clean up is done no one will never know . Awesome !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .