Author Topic: Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 SE5a - Hispano Suiza. Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48  (Read 10899 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Hope it was a small cup of tea and just a comic book you read. Nice work. Looking forward to more.

Steve

Offline fredjocko

That is looking very nice. I do like your redone weathering. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Bughunter

Nice paint job! This bird will look nice at the end.

Regarding rigging:
I have used EZ-line on my finished SE.5a and will use it again on the next one, because it is more flat (oval) and so a good representation on the flat RAF wires of the original aircraft.
On the finished one I used the Eduard "Stretchers", as they call it on the PE, but the next one will get the new and easy RAF wire terminals from Gaspatch. They were not yet available during the first build. I used them on my Dolphin and they provide the best representation of RAF wires in this scale.

At least don't use turnbuckles!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Early Bird Fan

cracking job on the paint, the underside looks superb.

Offline phil2015

I have ordered one of these - a profipack with the extra PE.  Enjoyed this thread and the two previous builds from the linked thread.  I need some reference material on the SE5 definitely.

One quick question - inside the cockpit on the pilots right side there is a rack with a row of cylinders.  What are those?  It looks like they are not in the WNW 1/32 model.

Thanks,
Phil

Bughunter

These are the launch buttons for the magnesium flares as used on the night fighters as landing lights. The flares was called Holt flares, was electrical started and are mounted below the rear fuselage to avoid dazzling the pilot. See:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9942

The SE.5a had 6 of them, so 6 buttons. The problem was only, if the pilot was not able to land with those six. After that he was not able to see much in the darkness, because the human eye need much longer to adapt from bright to dark.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline phil2015

Interesting.  So if the plane didn't have those landing flares, would that be there inside the cockpit?

Bughunter

I know a color picture from a museums aircraft. There are only those two switches on a slanted plate (also on the Eduard Cockpit, in front of the box with the six buttons on top). The area after that is empty, looks identical to the left side.

So I need to remember ??? to cut away the box, if I'm doing the second SE.5a from the Royal boxing which will be a four blade with the other radiator 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

Very nice paint work, shadow effect is a great addition to the undersurfaces.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline hrcoleman66

Very nice paint work, shadow effect is a great addition to the undersurfaces.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Thanks Gieseppe.

I’ve since weathered with Vallejo acrylic washes, with black, burnt sienna etc...  I also gave all the under surfaces a light wash if sepia, which warmed the tone a little.

I’m still waiting for the 0.4mm drill bits to arrive in the post, then I’ve been working on a rigging method which will involve the use of 0.35mm copper wire, 0.6mm did Albion alloys brass tube and heavy EZline...  experiments continue.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Fvdm

I haven't been on the forum much lately so I missed your porgress. I think this one is coming along real nice. I like your paintjob and the decals look ok to me. Keep up the good work.

Offline BobW

I noticed that "Aims" has recently released a photo etch rigging set ( Code Number:AIMPE48013} for the Eduard SE.5a kit.   It is available at Hannants UK.

Bob

Offline hrcoleman66

I noticed that "Aims" has recently released a photo etch rigging set ( Code Number:AIMPE48013} for the Eduard SE.5a kit.   It is available at Hannants UK.

Bob

Very interesting!  I'm always cautious about these etched rigging sets.  My experience with rigid metal rigging is that temperature variations can play havoc with the tension.
But I might be tempted to give them a go on my other Eduard SE5a's that I have in my stash.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

Well, it's finished.

I put the last coat of flat on today and here it is.  Rigging was eventually a combination of Monofilament (Invisible mending thread) and fine zinc plated copper wire.

It wont win me any awards (although I recall winning a monthly IPMS club comp with a brush painted Eduard Sopwith Camel many years ago)...  But for the first completed model after about 15 years out of practice, it's OK.  I learnt a lot during the process and would definitely tackle this kit differently were I to do it again (I have two others in my stash, so chances are...).

Thanks everyone for following along.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
I would say you still got it Hugh ! Haven't lost your touch in the least bit and this , for me is a treat . Haven't seen your work since Aeroscale .

The under surface is the cats meow for me , turned out fantastic ! Thanks for sharing your journey with us  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .