Author Topic: Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 SE5a - Hispano Suiza. Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48  (Read 10896 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Nice work on this, Hugh.  Those pulley windows have to be difficult to work with due to their size.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Really shaping up nicely Hugh  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline hrcoleman66

Thanks Guys.

I'm actually pretty happy with how it has come up now.

Today, the love of my life and object of my desire (I have to say that, it's in the contract) went out photographing birds with a girlfriend, so I had the chance to get some long awaited spraying done.

I preshaded the upper surfaces with Tamiya Nato Black thinned to within an inch of its life.

And gave the under surfaces a fresh coat of Tamiya Deck Tan.

Then, using a mix of about 3/4 deck tan and 1/4 nato black, I sprayed over the masked sections to try to replicate shadow... Many people use a brown to do this, but what I've noticed from photos of aircraft with PC10 upper surfaces, is that the shadows are more grey than brown.

Then, after removing the masking, I did a spray of Nato Black.  This will be a base for a brown/black wash that will get a fitter on a charge due to letting the machine get far too dirty.

I will probably due a filter spray of thinned deck tan on the outer wing panels...  Maybe.  Lets see how it looks after a coat of clear.

Oh, the more eagle eyed of you will have noted that there is a section at the front of the upper center section that is a tad short of paint.
This is because there is a panel line about a 1/4 inch from the leading edge, I'm assuming that this is the underside of the center section fuel tank.  I'll be painting this PC10.

Now that i look at these images though, I reckon I might have been a bit premature with the dirtying up. I should have waited till I'd done the PC10 as well...  Nothing is irretrievable though...

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:50:48 PM by hrcoleman66 »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
I do like the effect you have gotten with your shading Hugh , a light over spray will tie it together even more . It is a little stark in some places if I may say .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

I like what you have done so far. I am looking forward to seeing it all finished up!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline hrcoleman66

I do like the effect you have gotten with your shading Hugh , a light over spray will tie it together even more . It is a little stark in some places if I may say .

Alexis

I agree Terri.  I’ll be trying that out today.  I’m not sure how much of what you are seeing is due to my using a flash to photograph it though.  Might try some more photos today under natural light.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

Alexis was spot on with her assessment that the shading on the undersurfaces was too stark...

This morning, I gave them a filter of thinned deck tan and was much happier with the result.

Before...

After...

Then I got down to masking...

I used a neat thinned Tamiya Khaki Drab to stand in for PC10...  Came out just the right mix of brown and khaki i think.

Then I added a few drops of white to lighten the mix a bit and tried to add some tonal variation...  I did this because frankly, the idea of masking all those bloody rib takes again gave me the shivers...  It was looking a bit too stark to begin with and I was worried that I would have to give it all an over filter of Olive Drab again, but after a coat of gloss, it wasn't so bad.

Have I told you how I hate decals?  Hate is a strong word I know, but it's probably not strong enough to describe how I feel about decals...  Abhor?  Detest?

Way back when, I would prefer to mask and spray rather than struggle with recalcitrant decals...  But I'm starting again...  And I thought, how hard can it be?
Well, let me tell ya!  By the time I'd done the wing cockades, and the E on the upper wing, I had a head ache.  Seriously, my head hurt and I had to go find wifes stash of Paracetamol.  One is a throw away, but I dont have any spares, so...  It's gonna have a slight wrinkle.  The others?  Well, they might settle down, but hells, I wish I'd masked and sprayed!  I don't think it's the fault of the decals, I just think I'm out of practice...  But that was what this build was for wasn't it.

I still have to do the Fuselage cockades and the bloody E that goes on each side of the Fuse, but I'm gonna finish my cup of tea first...  Then, maybe go and read a book... 

Cheers,

Hugh
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:09:18 AM by hrcoleman66 »

Online RAGIII

I do like the more subtle effect on the lower wings! The upper surface shading and painting looks great also. Funny thing about decals is that I found the Older Hobby Craft SPAD Decals to be easier to work with than the more Modern roundels. My opinion is that in the quest for thin decals something has happened that makes them more difficult to get to conform over details and concave/convex surfaces. Spraying them seems to be a good option  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
I think you did a great job on the painting.  As for the decal, at least it's on the bottom of the bottom wing! 

Offline hrcoleman66

I do like the more subtle effect on the lower wings! The upper surface shading and painting looks great also. Funny thing about decals is that I found the Older Hobby Craft SPAD Decals to be easier to work with than the more Modern roundels. My opinion is that in the quest for thin decals something has happened that makes them more difficult to get to conform over details and concave/convex surfaces. Spraying them seems to be a good option  ::)
RAGIII

Thanks RABIII.

They were certainly thin!  I recall Eduard decals always being fairly thin, but these!  I got the hang of it eventually, Applying the cockade decals chordwise (sliding he decal off the backing paper adhearing to near the leading edge and then sliding the paper back towards the trailing edge) seems to work most reliably...  and in the end, the Fuselage decals were not as difficult as I had anticipated they would be...  just smaller and more fiddly.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

I think you did a great job on the painting.  As for the decal, at least it's on the bottom of the bottom wing!

That's my excuse as well!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Excellent outcome on the lower surfaces Hugh . I do like Tamiya olive drab for PC 10 , nice choice !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline hrcoleman66

While I whether and filter and wash and stuff (BTW, the decals settled down very nicely with a bit of solvent), I'm thinking about rigging... 

My options are,

a)  monofillament attached at each end to a twisted wire loop CA'd into the locating points...  I've done this a few times before and been very happy with the results.

b) EZ line.  Which I have two thickness of, but I've never used and frankly, I'm a little afraid of.

I've already made a bunch of wire loops, but I'm waiting for some 0.4mm drill bits to get delivered.  The twisted tails of the loops is 0.36mm Dia.  So plenty of time to decide.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Go with the mono line . In this scale the flat rigging wire won't have much of a difference .

Ez-line , I have tried this and don't like it . Very hard to thread through tubing and such .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Gisbod

Go with the mono line . In this scale the flat rigging wire won't have much of a difference .

Ez-line , I have tried this and don't like it . Very hard to thread through tubing and such .

Alexis

Totally agree here Alexis, I don’t like the stuff at all   :P

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941