Author Topic: Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 SE5a - Hispano Suiza. Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48  (Read 10822 times)

Offline hrcoleman66

Hello everyone and welcome to my build log for the Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48 scale SE5a (Hispano Suiza).

This is to be an OOB build, but lets just talk about that for a minute. 
Many people have different interpretations of what Out of the Box means when it comes to building a kit.  So I'll tell you what I mean.

For a properly finished WW1 Aircraft, you need rigging and control wires.  So I'll be adding these.  Looking at the control horns on the control surfaces, I'll probably need ot replace them as well...  More on that later.

The surface detail on this kit is superb for this scale, with one caveat.  The rib stitching is VERY over scale.  More on that later as well.
I did start a discussion on this very subject over on Aeroscale a few years ago and I would paste a link, but it appears that all the older threads have been archived.

So lets start off with the usual box top and contents.

The box contains two sprues in Dark Grey injection moulded plastic with very fine detail.  Te engine detail is probably up there with the best aftermarket Resin kits available.

And one Clear sprue containing the Inspection covers and windscreen.

The Decal sheet covers two marking options. 
A machine from RFC number 40 Squadron piloted by Roderick Stanley Dallas DSO & Bar, DSC from Esk in Queensland, with a field applied Chocolate and Ochre camo over PC10.
And one from number 56 Squadron in standard PC10 piloted by Kenneth Junor.  It is this scheme I will be finishing the machine in.  Simply becasue this is my first build back in after a long hiatus and I don't want to push my luck with the paint job.

That's enough for this post.  But be warned, I can get quite wordy in this sort of stuff, so grab some pop corn and sit back and enjoy.

Cheers,

Hugh

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:28:30 PM by hrcoleman66 »

Online Radarman

Re: SE5a - Hispano Suiza. Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »
I’ll will enjoy seeing this build, Hugh.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
I’ll will enjoy seeing this build, Hugh.

Kevin

Me too Kevin.

Lets talk about rib stitching.

Rib stitching has one and only one use.  It stops the fabric covering from lifting from the ribs and ballooning, thereby changing the aerodynamic characteristics of the flying surfaces.   For an example of how drastically this can happen, it's worth looking into the early development of the spitfire and what happened to elevators and ailerons in high speed dives.

On the allied machines, the format of the stitching was pretty standard, and varied only a little depending on manufacturer.  The appearance to the naked eye is a thread running cross wise over the top of the wing rib, and the same on the underside of the rib, but with the thread also running along the underside of the rib to the next stitch.
So the construction was, timber rib, along which was run a strip of reinforcing fabric, over witch was layed the Irish linen covering, then another reinforcing strip, the stitching and then a wider strip of fabric to cover the stitching.  The top strip was from from fabric with frayed edges (later pinked edges).

The thread itself was about 1/16" diameter.  So even if a knot were visible, the fabric covering would protrude at most 3/16" from the surface.
Now I don't want to sound like I'm being overly critical here.  Eduard have given it a red hot go at recreating this feature, but to my mind, they've seriously overdone it.

I've measured the height of the feature at various points over the upper wing and got between 0.008" and 0.011" height from the surface of the wing.  This scales up to between 3/8" and 1/2"!!! It's very obvious in images of other builds I have seen elsewhere.

The upshot is, that I'm going to be removing this feature, or at the very least toning it down.  I haven't yet decided whether to scrape the feature off with a scalpel blade, or sand it off with an emery board.  I might need to experiment a little.  But the end result will be that the stitching will be more to scale...  I hope.

The stitching on the sides of the fuselage is quite well done, and I think I can live with it.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:33:19 PM »
Hello Hugh,

I’m curious.. is this an older moulding to the new tool SE5a or just a different boxing? I recently built the new one and it was beautiful (mini WNWs) but the rib stitching looked ridiculously overdone. I sanded them to tone down the effect, which is a shame as you lose the detail, but if you look at period photos of the SE you can hardly see the rib stitching at all.

Build log here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9986.0

Anyway, enjoy!

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
Hello Hugh,

I’m curious.. is this an older moulding to the new tool SE5a or just a different boxing? I recently built the new one and it was beautiful (mini WNWs) but the rib stitching looked ridiculously overdone. I sanded them to tone down the effect, which is a shame as you lose the detail, but if you look at period photos of the SE you can hardly see the rib stitching at all.

Build log here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9986.0

Anyway, enjoy!

Guy

Hello Guy.
Same moulding.  Different boxing.
I know revel also have released the same moulds under their own brand.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:40:47 PM »
I am looking forward to the treatment you do on the wings, and the rest of the build! I like the 56 squadron scheme. One I may do someday with the Roden 1/32nd scale kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 12:11:54 AM »
Hello Hugh ,

Looking forward on seeing what you do with this kit . It's not a subject we see built very often .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:28 AM »
I will be following along as i am starting a 1/72 Roden SE5a. I always get some great tips from others on this site.

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 05:31:35 AM »
I'm also looking forward to your build, both in general and in particular when it comes to those stitches. This might be my next WWI build... or not...  ::)
/Fredrik

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 05:56:25 AM »
That is really a nice kit! I build it from the Royal Edition, which I got as present. And since it was not complete, also with some accessories.
Guy linked his build, so here is mine ;)
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.45
or the finished one https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9942.0

Yes, the stitching is a bit prominent, but not that much as on the Siemens-Schuckert D.III, which was the previous new WWI kit.
If I remember right, Eduard said it will be reduced further by primer, paint, clear coats ....

Anyway, I will follow your build because I want to build a four blade machine form the second kit of the box and always open for new ideas.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 07:11:00 AM »

Yes, the stitching is a bit prominent, but not that much as on the Siemens-Schuckert D.III, which was the previous new WWI kit.
If I remember right, Eduard said it will be reduced further by primer, paint, clear coats ....

Anyway, I will follow your build because I want to build a four blade machine form the second kit of the box and always open for new ideas.

Cheers,
Frank

Indeed, the Siemens is quite extreme!

I purchased that kit at the same time I bought my first copy of this SE5a...  See, just because I haven't been building doesn't mean I haven't been adding to my already ridiculous stash!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 08:33:50 AM »
That is really a nice kit! I build it from the Royal Edition, which I got as present. And since it was not complete, also with some accessories.
Guy linked his build, so here is mine ;)
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9848.45
or the finished one https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9942.0

Cheers,
Frank

That's a lovely build Frank!  The Etched details really add to it!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
So, on with trying to clean up/tone down the Rib stitching.

About half an hour with a fine emery board (Woolworths Manicure section, about $5.00 for a pack of ten) being very careful not to obliterate other details resulted in what you see below.
Some stitches are still showing through with the naked eye, probably not able to be seen here, but I'll have to spray a prime coat to see exactly how it looks.  Certainly though, it's better than OOB.  Only the top main plane done so far, the bottom shown for comparison.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 12:32:25 PM »
Vast improvement Hugh  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 10:57:59 PM »
Much better to My eyes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler