Author Topic: Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48; 20.3.2021 Parabellum - THE END  (Read 29136 times)

Bughunter

Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48; 20.3.2021 Parabellum - THE END
« on: January 09, 2021, 07:08:52 AM »
Halberstadt Cl.II

To avoid my mojo going completely down, I decided to put the Ansaldo aside (I just don't know how to solve some problems yet) and try an (almost) out-of-the-box build.

Ok, the candidate come in my mind was a Halberstadt Cl.II
The company "Halberstaedter Flugzeugwerke" was located in Halberstadt, a city in the German state Saxony-Anhalt. And I have friends in Saxony-Anhalt ;)

In my stash there is a kit made by Mirage in 1/48:

It is very complete, with a lot of plastic parts, PE, decals, printed foil for instruments.

As references I can use two Windsock Datafiles:

And also the manual of the bigger brother of this kit by WNW:
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v3C6C20EF/www/products/model_kitsets/32049/online_instructions/7132049%20Halberstadt%20Cl.II%20(Early)%20Instructions.pdf

I like to build the colorful marking of the "Schlachtstaffel 26b".

The big PE fret, which is made from thick 0.2mm brass.
Please not the full scale gun belts on the right!

The kit has very thick sprue gates with tight placement (see left/low of the Cent) - no chance for a cutter. A resin saw is useful!
Some parts are broken, see up/left of the Cent.

The sprue gates goes into the parts, which are itself nice, so this needs a lot of cleaning effort! See part 24, or the gun on top.
Sometimes you also don't know, where the parts ends and the sprue gate starts.

Should I do a build report anyway? It is effort and may be it is better to spend the time with working on the model.
This kit (at least a varinat) was already shown and so the interest is not that high and my finished model is enough?

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:49:49 AM by Bughunter »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:01:44 AM »
My VOTE is HELL YES as to doing a build log. Not only do your builds inspire but the techniques you display are a constant source of Learning!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »
Build it Frank , don't worry about adding detail or even it the details are correct ...just built it and have fun !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 08:34:45 AM »
Yes, please, share your valuable time between building and reporting. Every build thread is valuable! And yours are no exception. I have heard this kit is not easy but I am sure you will build a jewel model.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:35:31 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
Build it Frank , don't worry about adding detail or even it the details are correct ...just built it and have fun !

Alexis

+1

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »
Er... obviously Frank!

Can’t wait.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48, 9.1.2021 Fuel tank
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 09:45:52 PM »
Ok, talk me over!

Fuel tank

It looks like, that I can't do oob because I'm lazy ???

I started to prepare and paint parts for the cockpit of this two seater.

There was also a tank, but made from six parts with bad fit! The WNW kit has one piece ...
I don't want to clean those seams, checked the colored museums pictures. Ah, the tank was soldered!
Sanded a piece of light wood on my small disc sander quickly into shape and put a stripe of thin brass foil around.

The side walls are remains of Eduard PE. Soldered to it and removed the overlap.

After checking pictures of the WNW sprues I added two bands around and also Filler and outlet from brass with a copper wire. Much nicer compared to the kit parts and don't need to be painted.

For a used look, you can dent the tank with your fingernail ;)

The lower side is not nice, but it will be the glue surface.

A quick dry fit (nothing glued) with the kit cockpit. The nice wooden side walls are kit PE.

All the parts on the frame are finally mounted and test fitted to a fuselage halve.

For the painting I followed the WNW manual.

I have heard this kit is not easy
Oh yes! The kit is nice so far, but requires a lot of careful dry fitting. I think I will replace the (partly broken) struts by metal, as done on another build I found in the net.

Cheers,

Offline rayb24

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »
Thats the first time i’ve read “can't build out of box because I’m lazy” lol.
Nice progress. I have this model in my stash somewhere. So this is a really useful build log.

Ray

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »
Off to a good start Frank  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 01:02:43 AM »
Superb work on the interior Frank! The fuel tank is your usual Magic  8) Everything looks great in the test fit.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 01:43:05 AM »
A good start, Frank.  Just have a good time building this.  Detail what you want to. I can't build OOB either.  A shortened build log would be nice - so we can see and learn something.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 02:38:21 AM »
Yeah, the best looking airplane of WWI, Frank, give it a go! However I have that one in my stash and built the WNW kit once and I am sure the WNW is the easier one. But you‘ll manage it!
Did you already choose the markings?
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 03:14:52 AM »
Thank you Ray, Alexis, Rick, Ken and Andreas!

Thats the first time i’ve read “can't build out of box because I’m lazy” lol.
I hate to clean up little plastic parts, fill with putty, sand and paint them, which are breaking later >:(
So it is for me really easier to do it right immediately. Often I use this "improvement by accident", like with my last build Fokker D.V. I thought about replacing the undercarriage with a metal one. But decided to go with the kit thing. After all the spend effort with painting I break it during mounting >:( So it is often less effort to do it right from the beginning.

Nice progress. I have this model in my stash somewhere. So this is a really useful build log.
What I also start to hate is the manual! It is somehow nice, with color photos of the real machine and so on, but it is only A5 and is somehow overloaded with infos. There are also bugs in the drawings and not all plastic or PE parts are mentioned. So you need to work very careful to not overlook something.

However I ...  built the WNW kit once
Yeah, and what a beauty! Had already a look for your build report to see, how things should look like.

Did you already choose the markings?

Yes, the Schlasta 26b with the red nose, not with a 4 on the sides as yours but a 3. It is the 14227/17, and there is a complete page colored profile of that bird by Ronny Bar in the Datafile 157 which I will use of course.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 03:27:33 AM »
What a beautiful start to your build, Frank. Very impressive work. I'm enjoying your progress in a big way.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 04:24:26 AM »
Yes, the Schlasta 26b with the red nose, not with a 4 on the sides as yours but a 3. It is the 14227/17, and there is a complete page colored profile of that bird by Ronny Bar in the Datafile 157 which I will use of course.

Cheers,
Frank

I can’t say that I am very surprised — these red noses with the flames just look too cool!  8)
Andreas

P.S.: Schlasta 26b was finally disbanded here in Fürth Atzenhofen, home of FEA 2b! I have seen pictures of these red-flamed Halberstadts in the hangars that still exist today, converted into appartments...
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.