Author Topic: Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48; 20.3.2021 Parabellum - THE END  (Read 29421 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 05:58:55 PM »
Great start and excellent choice of subject with the red flame nose.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
I like how you made the tank. Did you emboss the rivets with a needle or did you use a rivetwheel?

Bughunter

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 10:50:24 PM »
Thank you Gary, Andreas, Giuseppe and Fvdm!

What a beautiful start to your build, Frank. Very impressive work. I'm enjoying your progress in a big way.
Your great feedback is highly appreciated! Such words are fuel for my motivation :-*

Great start and excellent choice of subject with the red flame nose.
There are decals for the rear part (red with white corner), but the front part needs to be painted. I hope to find a matching red or I will scan the decals to let my plotter cut masks from it. Let's see ...

Did you emboss the rivets with a needle or did you use a rivetwheel?
I have this nice set from RB Productions. There are some different wheels (also part of circles for corners) with different rivet distance included. Really pitty, that the shop is down due to/since Covid-19 :(

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 03:19:33 AM »
What a lovely project, Frank! A great start and I doubt you'll ever do a kit out-of-the-box! I will be following closely! Regards, Marc.

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48, 10.1.21 Wooden air screw
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 03:52:53 AM »
Thanks and welcome to this project Marc!
I think oob means for me still the usual improvements like metal struts as replacement for the broken kit one and a ...

Wooden air screw

The kit includes 3 plastic ones, shows the options during the build - but do NOT tell, which option has to be used for which marking. The WNW manual says Garuda. Ok, that is not the identical machine, but I will go with that.
I selected the kit one, which looks like the WNW Garuda as template for sanding.

Here the raw result, front:

Rear:

Matches nearly the template.

Decided to use the kit engine, which matches the size of the plans. I have a nice resin engine in stock, but it is bigger and I fear to much problems with that, e.g. panels and exhaust. So I put my low-friction bearing directly into the modified engine.

After closing I added also the single cylinders. Here the air screw is plugged on.

And the finally sanded (I found a pictures on my air screw books and used that for the layout of the layers), primed and painted the airscrew.
Will be toned down a bit with airbrush later.

I tried a side view picture, to show the thin shape.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 04:00:23 AM »
Your work is always inspiring Frank and this prop is No Exception! Gorgeous work and I must admit I am a bit jealous of your carving ability  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:12 AM »
Hi Frank!
How lucky that you are so easily influenced by others! Otherwise I/we would never have seen all of this (and coming) great work.

Looks great!
/Fredrik

Offline Borsos

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 09:07:31 AM »
As the others said — truely inspiring. Fantastic work!
When it comes to the airscrews manufactor I wouldn’t be too critical. These airscrews were consumer items, not to say disposable items. The groundcrews used whatever was at hand. The most important thing was that the airscrew fit the engine (e. g. an airscrew made for 180 HP or 200 HP or 220 HP ...). That means an airplane could fly with an Axial this day and after breaking it fly with a Garuda the next day.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
Excellent work on the air screw Frank  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 02:39:39 AM »
That is an amazing start. I really like the fuel tank. I have enough problems soldering 1/2" copper pipe, I can't imagine working on something that small.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 03:26:55 AM »
   I'm a bit late in commenting Frank, but have to join in and compliment you on a beautiful start. As usual the most attractive features to my eye are your scratch built additions, the fuel tank is pure art and your prop tempts me to throw my examples into the driveway for the Garbage crew to collect, beautiful replication and finish! I'll be watching this one closely, and look forward to the Schlasta 26b finish!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:49 AM »
Your great motivating feedback is highly appreciated! Thank you Rick, Fredrik, Andreas, Alexis, Carl and Lance!

Gorgeous work and I must admit I am a bit jealous of your carving ability  ;D
That's very nice of you to keep replying, even though you're a little jealous. :)
After many propellers I can say: practice makes perfect. Whereby each one is different again ::) A good picture is always very helpful!

Otherwise I/we would never have seen all of this (and coming) great work.
I will try to do my best, but the normal (more or less in this times) life is back. That means the progress will be slower :(

These airscrews were consumer items, not to say disposable items.
Really pity, that not many of those originals has survived. That would be a nice display object.
I had a color picture of a Garuda for a Mercedes, which was very helpful.

Excellent work on the air screw Frank  :)
You are among the airscrew painters, right? From time to time I see models where I ask if that is real wood? No, that is painted. Ok, I can't do it like that, so I have to recreate them in wood.

I really like the fuel tank. I have enough problems soldering 1/2" copper pipe, I can't imagine working on something that small.
That soldering is my trademark! During my training as a telecommunications technician I was trained in soldering. Trained? No, drilled! Additional 40 year experiece helps a lot 8)

As usual the most attractive features to my eye are your scratch built additions, the fuel tank is pure art and your prop tempts me to throw my examples into the driveway for the Garbage crew to collect, beautiful replication and finish!
Lance, your wonderful comments always makes me smile. Thanks for that in these difficult times!
You don't need to hide with your propellers! Your bigger scale has its own challenges, my normal veneer would be to thin for example.

I hope to find some time for it soon!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:33 AM »
Hello Frank - I have to also comment on your propeller. It's amazing, and to know it's 1/48 scale makes it doubly amazing. Great work indeed!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 04:45:29 AM »
That prop is outstanding Frank!

I can only look on with envy  ???

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
When I see what you people can do with props I get very jealous.