Author Topic: Halberstadt CL.II, Mirage 1/48; 20.3.2021 Parabellum - THE END  (Read 29596 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 24.1.2021 .-. .- -.. .. ---
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2021, 05:55:39 AM »
I don't really know what to say Frank. Brilliant Modeling doesn't even seem to cover your work  8) Your eye for, and attention to detail is becoming Legendary! I am very happy you went ahead with your build log. We learn so Much from You!
RAGIII

I completely agree with Rick, Frank. Your attention to detail is better than many whi build in the larger scale - and that includes me!!!

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2021, 06:37:44 AM »
Wow, thank you for your great feedback - that is high octane fuel for my motivation!

Beware that ground attack airplanes like the ones of Schlachtstaffel 26b rarely carried radio equippment on board.
Ok, but now it is already in. So I display one of the rare days with fire reporting for artillery 8)
Joking aside - I followed the Ronny Bar profile of the bird in the WD 157, and there the generator cover is installed, not the flat blade.

Cheers,
Frank

Online FAf

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2021, 07:14:15 AM »
Great work and so fun to follow!
/Fredrik

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 30.1.2021 Cockpit
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2021, 01:54:51 AM »
Great work and so fun to follow!
Thanks Fredrik and I hope you have fun with this one too!
BTW: Has anyone decoded the last title?

Cockpit

As mentioned the last time the aerial was missing. I need a spool for the long wire, a (very small) spool and the outlet below the fuselage are plastic parts in the kit.
I used the WNW manual as example and made new wooden parts, with wound up thinnest copper wire.

And mounted. I primed only the base plate. The wanted raw wood in contrast to the other, also wood painted, cockpit parts.

Again a picture today in day light, the seat for the pilot (I replaced the square mounting struts by round brass), control column and the belts are also added.

The dials are a film to be painted from the back side. The white areas are ok, but the small areas e.g. on the compass are damn small!
My punch and die tool do not cut very clean sometimes and I ruined two dials later!

Some details added like clock on the wall, magneto and paper instruction cut from manual and glued to the wall. Finally a washing was added.

I checked the manual for missing cockpit parts and found maps some pages later - very nice!

I folded the smaller one add moved it in the gunners cockpit below the front seat.

The instrument panel is available as plastic and PE. I used the PE one and added the small details.

What a kit! The fuselage is closed now and the glue drying ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

Re: Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 30.1.2021 Cockpit
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2021, 01:58:55 AM »
That’s truely great work here, Frank. The cockpit looks perfect.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 02:02:09 AM »
Frank,
This is another display of top class modeling in 1/48 scale. You are a master in that scale.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 06:11:32 AM »
Frank,
This is another display of top class modeling in 1/48 scale. You are a master in that scale.

Kevin

I agree completely. As a Matter of fact I will add in ANY SCALE!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2021, 11:25:02 AM »
Really nice work in the pit Frank

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2021, 06:44:36 PM »
Wow, great work Frank. That's a real nice cockpit.

Offline Kamil Zoszak

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2021, 11:18:08 PM »
Outstanding work with this kit. I have one, maybe two in my plans. 

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2021, 12:14:26 AM »
Outstanding work on the interior Frank.

radio.

Bughunter

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2021, 04:07:33 AM »
Thank you Andreas, Kevin, Rick, Alexis, Ferry, Kamil and Ken! What a generous feedback from you!

Outstanding work with this kit. I have one, maybe two in my plans.
I have also the Halberstadt Cl.IV kit in my stash. Many parts on it are very similar. But I guess this will move down in my priority list if I'm able to finish this one ::) There are so many other nice kits in my stash ....

radio.
Yes! You got the joke ;)

At the moment I'm working on the engine.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2021, 05:04:56 AM »
Beautiful interior work, I like your aerial reel and the nice touch with maps.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2021, 05:08:01 AM »
Like Guiseppe I like that wire spool. I also like the way the map has been filed away - obviously the observer and I have a lot in common....!

Stephen.

Bughunter

Halberstadt Cl.II, Mirage 1/48; 2.2.2021 Engine
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:39 AM »
Thank you Giuseppe and Stephen!

I also like the way the map has been filed away - obviously the observer and I have a lot in common....!
I used a place, where it do not hide many details ;)

Engine

At first again a picture from the last posting. I forgot to mention two rods. There were two small recesses for the lower wing mounting. I drilled holes for pins and noted, that the space behind the holes is free. So I had the idea to go through with a brass wire (unvisible below the tank) and in the front a thicker nickel silver wire (below the control colums mechanism).

This allows a teaser: the wings can be plugged on and allows later a robust mounting. The undercarriage is plugged on too, and the engine body (shown with the airscrew some posts ago) is painted.

As I reported a Vector engine was to big, so I want to use the kit engine. But the valve drive mechanism lacks a lot of details (the upper one). On my Albatros W.4 I used a Vector engine, but converted it with the kit parts to a Mercedes D.III. So I had a spare drive of the D.IIIa in my stash, which has much more details! The only thing: it is to long.

So I removed the shaft below and glued the remaining little buggers onto a new shaft.

I removed the plastic pins (valves) and glued the new part in place after painting with different Alclads - very promising.

For the valve springs I wound colored 0.15mm copper wire on a 0.4mm drill shaft and cut it in short pieces.

The new valves are glowed 0.33mm nickel silver, with the springs glued in place.

Of course the same game on the exhaust side:

To be able to see, how the engine fits with all accessories around, I need to mount the Spandau MG. I removed the jacket from the kit Spandau and added blacked Master brass parts. With other parts from the kit it is prepared for mounting:

A ver fine kit PE needs to be added to - the control of the generator.

Both are mounted, then I added also the panel in front.

More parts was added to the engine, and I had also to modify the engine mounts in the fuselage.

With a wash it looks much nicer!

The engine is finally in place! After that an "brass" oil tank is added too.

Should have modified the carburetor a bit, because there is some slight trouble with the Spandau. A PE plate will be added later here.

That was a lot of work, but an important step is done. The lower part of the engine is less detailed, but this is hidden. The new valve drive is nice in a prominent position.

Cheers,
Frank