Author Topic: Roden Fokker D.VI 1:32  (Read 16584 times)

Offline Fvdm

Roden Fokker D.VI 1:32
« on: November 30, 2020, 04:37:03 AM »
Hi all,

This will be my first WIP on the forum and it's the Fokker D.VI in 1:32 scale. Searching the forum I cannot find another WIP of the D.VI. Did no one ever build the D.VI?

The boxart

I never build a Roden kit before so I don't know what to expect. I'm open mindend so we will see what happens.
The D.VI is build  in late 1917 by Fokker Fluzeugwerke and consists of already available parts. De fuselage and tail is DR1, the wings are a small version of D.VII wings. The engine was an 110 HP Oberursel UrII. This engine wasn't up to the task and was replaced by an 160HP Siemens Halske rotary engine. Standard armament was 2 LMG 08/15 Spandau machineguns.

The D.VI was shortly in use and there were only 59 planes build of wich 7 went to the Austrian/Hungarion army.
The specific plane I want to build is the plane of Leutnant Kurt Seit of Jasta 80b. This the plane from the boxart.

I can't find a lot of info or pictures of this plane so I will build it mostly OOB. Maybe I'll buy some AM machineguns.

When opening the box one can find some decals and some plastic.

First the decals

And the sprues

There is som flash but nothing serious

And also som great detail. Like the curved trailing edge.

And some nice detail on the wings

So far the introduction, now on to the build. I'm not a quick builder so don't expect every week an update  ;)

tips and criticism are most welcome. Thanks for watching

Offline mgunns

Re: Roden Fokker D.VI 1:32
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
Hello Fvdm:

This will be an interesting build to watch.  I don't recall anyone on this forum ever doing a build log.  I have this kit as well and bought the Aviatic 4 color Lozenge for the D.VII wings, they have to be trimmed a little but will work better than what the kit offers.  I also purchased the 4 color lozenge for the Fokker D.VIII for the fuselage sides.  I had toyed with doing this when I finish my Fokker DR.I, I still might.  I won't steal your build log, but will follow along.  Good luck and post on a regular basis.
Roden kits aren't that bad.  They do require some modeling skills and initiative, like pinning the struts, some trimming, but overall go together fairly well and can use some aftermarket upgrades for a great looking model.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »
I am really looking forward to seeing your build. This is one I will have to do in the future!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »
I love the Fokker D.VI since boyhood days, when I made my own by kitbashing Revell's 1/72 Fokker Dr.I and D.VII. I have Roden's D.VI, too. Looking forward to see your build-log!!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:44:47 PM »
Hey Ferry, I built this one OOB a few years ago (it's over in the "specific aircraft builds" section) and it's a straightforward build. As with all these earlier Roden 1/32 kits the strut locations are perhaps the weakest point but quite adequate.
I used the kit lozenge overlaid with the blue and white Fratz markings and found all the decals settled down fairly easily with some MicroSol and Set. (Other Roden and indeed WNW decals can give major problems!)
Nice to see another getting built. I'll watch with interest.
Sandy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
Really looking forward to your build , not a subject we see at all .

Nothing wrong with Roden kits at all . They do have pretty good detail right out of the box and build up nicely , but like the others have said the decals could be an issue and you might what to seek replacements .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 09:46:28 PM »
I'll follow this with interest, the kit looks a great one from your pictures...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 01:32:15 AM »
A good friend of mine built the D.VI and from what I can remember she builds up nicely.

Enjoy!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 03:12:00 AM »
Thank you all for the welcome.

The first cutting, glueing and painting is a fact. I think the plastic is a bit soft but not a problem at all. I have to be a bit more carefull.
First thing I noticed when building the engine is that there are no fitpins (is this the correct english word?). Nothing I can't handle, the fit is great. I also like the details. Some parts have some flash what have to be removed. Like this engine mount.

This has to be removed very carefully because the plastic is 1mm thick and break real fast. Dont ask how I know. ;D

Then it was time to start the compressor and paint the different parts. The engine is aluminium and the cilinderheads are gunmetal

The exhaust is copper en the pushrods are also gunmetal

Pedals, compass and I think the oiltank are painted aluminium

The engine bulkhead and mount are also aluminium

When the paint is dry I can fit the engine. I will use a little panelliner and wash to show the details but otherwise this will be a clean build.
My story is that this bird is in a museum and well maintained by a couple of vollunteers

Please correct me if I use wrong names for the parts. I don't know all the parts names.

Thanks for watching

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 03:18:16 AM »
Very Nice start to your project! I Like what you are doing to the engine so far!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 04:25:10 AM »
Just found this - what an interesting model.

Like Sandy I converted a Dr1 and DVII into one of these a very long time ago following an article in Airfix Magazine. This was an aesthetically attractive aeroplane so I will foolow along too.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 06:34:29 AM »
Fascinating project. I once started Roden‘s D. VI in 1:72 in those old days when I built 1:72 models, but I can’t remember me finishing it. This here is the only Roden kit in 1:32 of a WWI plane that I don’t have in my stash so it looks very tempting. I also think you did a great job on the engine yet, that thing looks really good.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 05:43:12 AM »
So far the idea of building mostly Out of the box. I couldn't resist buying some AM. The MG's are from Master-model.

Luckily the jacket is already round and very sturdy.

I think this are nice and sharp details.

I also bought some seatbelts. I wanted the belts for the DR1 but they where sold out. So i bought the seatbelts for the D.VII. It seems they are almost identical.

Searching through the different WIP's here I saw that the DR1 has some wood on the side's of the fuselage. This was quickly made with some Styreen and some paint. Before paint.

And after paint.

When the oils dryed i sprayed some CDL on the rest of the fuselage. I don't know if it's the right color but I think it's OK

The floorplate is also made. I painted the wood and some steel.

O, I forgot to mention I also bought some decals from airscale. They are really nice. Here is the compass.

That's it for now. Thanks for watching.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 09:19:28 AM »
Excellent progress and great decisions on the Aftermarket parts! While you are at it consider the Aviattic cowling and PE. They are worth the cost!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 10:43:15 PM »
Nice wood work and a great start.