Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 68132 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2020, 01:14:31 AM »
Wow! It looks stunning Rick!

Do you sleep at all???

Willem

Thanks Willem, I actually only work on Models a few hours a day. It is just that being retired I do work on them Every Day!

RAGIII

I love triplanes and the Roden looks terrific. I really like streaking.

Thanks for dropping by and the comment!
RAGIII

That's a beauty, Rick!  Making me think of the Meng kit I have.
Could you post a picture of the underside.  I'd like to see how the Archer stitching looks.

Thanks Ken.  I know I have confused things with deleting/crashing one kit and adding another. So here is a recap: 1. The Meng kit that was destroyed had Archer Stitching. 2. The Jasta 4 Roden kit has the Part PE Stitching. 3. The New Jasta 11 build has Archer Stitching as seen in the previous post  ::)

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2020, 12:19:06 PM »
Great final results on the Roden kit. Proof with a little love it builds into a fine replica. Mengenstein Fokker is shaping up too!!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2020, 10:49:43 PM »
Great final results on the Roden kit. Proof with a little love it builds into a fine replica. Mengenstein Fokker is shaping up too!!

Steve

Thanks Steve I appreciate your comments. I agree completely about the Roden kit!  I have filled and sanded the seams on the "Mengenstein" kit. Actually the Only reason I used the Meng interior vs the Roden was that it was assembled , rigged, and painted. Saved a bunch of time. In some respects the Roden kit interior offers more possibilities. Having the complete fuel tank and engine bearers it lends itself well to opening up that lower panel from the Aviattic PE set.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2020, 04:30:19 AM »
The Jasta 4 bird is DONE! I quit while I was ahead... I kept getting the feeling I was going to drop it  ::)
RAGIII

More photos of this part of the build in Completed Models

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11730.msg218827#msg218827
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:33:45 PM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2020, 08:47:37 AM »
The second Roden/Meng DR1 is going fairly well. I have begun the Streaking using oils. In this case an Out of Tube OD and burnt umber. I am also doing a little "revisionist" thinking on the colors  ::) Some May like it and some not!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
I do like how the colours constrat with each other , gives it a totally different look .

Terri
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:33:40 AM by Terri »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »
A nice "blank canvas" to experiment on!!

Steve

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
Looking Good Amigo !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
Thanks Terri, Steve, and Ed. I appreciate the comments. I have changed the camo on the Roden kit....More on that later. I also changed My mind on the aircraft I will model. Still Jasta 11 but 545/17 of Hans Weiss. In the Meantime a few notable points about the Meng and Roden kit: First lets examine Ailerons: There has been much said about the Roden kit and it's ailerons. So lets exaamine the options. The Fokker DR1 basically had three types:

1. Fokker F1 Type
2. Early type. Similar to the F1 but with reduced chord on the balances.
3. Late style

Roden offers an accurate example of # 2 and 3. Meng offers accurate examples of #1 and 3.

So if one wants to do an F1 from the Roden kit you would need the Cutting Edge or Encore resin Ailerons representing that type.
If you want to do an Early DR1( Mostly Early Jasta 11, then the Roden early style is fine. Rodens Late style is also fine for all of the rest!

If building the Meng kit as an F1 their F1 style aileron is perfect. If doing an Early DR1 then use the Late style as a template to reduce the chord of the balance. The late style used on Most DR1's is again, perfect.

Thanks to rayb24 I now have another Meng kit that I received yesterday. I am wasting No Time getting underway  8) I noticed some detail that I had overlooked on My first build: The leading edge of the wings shows VERY SUBTLE detail where the ply covering is located. Easy to miss this and it explains why Ray Rimell said to" Mostly"  sand off the leading edge details on the Roden kit  :o  So moving along I have painted the Streaking on the Meng middle and lower wing. I also realized that No Seams would prevent me from painting the forward fuselage streaking on Kirschsteins DR1 so I went ahead and did so.

RAGIII

PS: I also have begun interior work on the Meng kit.

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2020, 05:43:39 PM »
Your streaking camouflage looks so great, I wasn't sure it was painted or a decal!

Best,
Tim

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2020, 10:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the explanation of the ailerons, Rick.  Do you happen to know the numbers for the early batch vs the late batch?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
Your streaking camouflage looks so great, I wasn't sure it was painted or a decal!

Best,
Tim

Thanks Tim. I appreciate the comment!
RAGIII

Thanks for the explanation of the ailerons, Rick.  Do you happen to know the numbers for the early batch vs the late batch?

Ken, I don't have the numbers at hand. I will check My references but I think the book that probably best explains the ailerons is one I don't have. Paul Lehmens Fokker Dr1. I am certain all will be included in Ray's two volume books on building the DR1. Like I said, "Most" of the early style were found in Jasta 11. Some like 144/17 had both early and late. Finally one could almost substitute "Standard" for Late as it was the most common  type.
RAGIII

PS: I have been looking through My DR1 reference. All I can say for sure is that the "Early" style seems to be limited to Jasta 11 as I stated before. As for serial numbers they seem to be interspersed with those carrying the "Standard" aileron. As an example 154/17 has the early style but 139/17 has the later. It also appears that some of those delivered before the failure had F1 type ailerons but Gontermans 115/17 has the later "Standard" version. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clear things up  ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:35:17 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2020, 08:12:48 AM »
This arrived today courtesy of Richard at Aviattic. A Test shot of the interior decals for the Meng kit. The instruments are a Huge improvement over the kit supplied decals!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
I made quite a bit of progress on both DR1 kits today. First I added the instrument decals from Aviattic sheet shown in the previous post to the Meng interior. Just a reminder here, if you use them remember that Aviattic decals are backed with clear so paint the appropriate color to back them. Second the sheet is a solid backing so you will need to trim as close as possible to the decal. After applying the instruments I glued the Meng fuselage together...No photos yet.

I also have finished the streaked camo on the Roden kit....for the third time. I really didn't like the revisionist scheme so went back and tried to remove the brown and add more green. The results were not satisfactory  >:( So I stripped all of the paint, re sprayed a beige-ish grey CDL base, then went back and did the streaking with oils. So since I changed the scheme three times it is only fair that I have now changed My mind on Markings three times. I went from 502/17 to 545/17, and have decided on an Early DR1 flown by Werner Steinhauser, Jasta 11 of course  ;D This gave me the opportunity to use the Early style ailerons.

RAGIII

Note: According to info from Achim Engels the Tachometer was Not under the ammo box where Mengnuts have it. He says it was attached to the side frame.

PS: I did add the control wires to the Meng interior before I closed it up, and The leading edges of the streaked camo will be cleaned up when the blue undersurfaces are painted on the Roden kit!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:32:11 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
You make it all sound so easy Rick...

...So I stripped all of the paint, re sprayed a beige-ish grey CDL base...

How do you strip the paint without damaging your work?

Please bear in mind I'm a rookie

Willem