Author Topic: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 8.1.2021 on hold  (Read 6405 times)

Bughunter

Re: Ansaldo SVA 5; Fly 1/48; 8.1.2021 on hold
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »
Thanks!
A interesting discussion, and all of you points are valid.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2021, 02:07:32 AM »
Just another opinion.  I believe they are metal because of the small dimensions of the struts and the 3 rivets suggest there is a reinforcement on the inside of the strut end, so the inside would be hollow for the reinforcement.  The chipped paint reveals primer under the top coat.  The one bolt that attaches the strut to the wing would simply pull apart if stressed if the strut was wood.
It could be that over the production period, the struts were changed from metal to wood at some point, but this is pure speculation.
The landing gear are definitely wood, or possibly wood covered metal.  I believe this was common to get an aerodynamic shape with the use of cheaper round cross section metal tubing.
Anyway, it's another opinion.

Bughunter

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2021, 02:53:31 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Ken!
This converted to a more or less scratch project, but I need more ideas. Due to the already spent effort I will continue on it for sure, but not now. Like the Deperdussin Monocoque last year - frustrated by the fuselage so put it on hold, but finished later the year.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 07:21:52 AM »
Hi!
First of all you're building a gem from this kit.
Nothing to add apart compliments on your build.
I have only to say that SVA's had wing struts made of metal and landing gear ones made of wood.
Wooden struts of landing gear were inserted into U-shaped metal caps within which the axis of the landing gear is located. It can be seen well in the photos.
I agree with Mr. Brivio and the photos he posted showing what I wrote.
Hope useful!
Roberto

Offline ermeio

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 11:54:30 PM »
I can add that with reference to the Official Catalogue of Parts, the wing struts of the SVA are listed among the Metal components
http://www.cmpr.it/MN%20-%20Nomenclatore%20SVA%203%20ali%20rid.%20e%20SVA%205%20-NL/nom.SVA%203-5.htm
BUT if you look at the photos their appearance is very woody so I think that your work is not to be trashed or completely redone  - just sand the wooden struts smooth and paint them black. They will loose their magnificent aspect, but you will spare time remaining realistic.
I will post some pictures to support my point of view.
Had I no access to the Official Catalogue of Parts I'd have bet for wood based on the photos and on their appearance (I've been at the museum a lot of time and I was sure they were made of wood...)
er.me.