Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67429 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
Really looking forward on the next step ...STRIPES ! I did this scheme on a Eduards Dr.1 and plan on doing Meng's kit the same

Terri

Thanks Terri. I painted the blue unders today so sometime in the next week it will turn Stripey!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2020, 02:44:05 AM »
Been catching up Rick. The streaking is stunning - I am truly very impressed indeed. The black and white stripes will also be a real eye-catcher.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2020, 03:16:30 AM »
Nice progress, Rick.  I think getting the streaking colors on is a significant milestone.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2020, 04:32:44 AM »
   Rick,
    Your streaking is very impressive, it looks the part and more. I am about to borrow some of your initiative here, am doing the Meng kit and then plan to immediately launch into the Roden version. The temptation to do a double Build was there but I figured one Kit at a time is more my speed! I've been following your progress closely and will continue to do so, lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2020, 06:46:14 AM »
Great updates, your streaking technique is very effective.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe! I appreciate your comments!
RAGIII

Rick, I really like your progress, this will be a beautiful Dr.I!

I need to look into one of those "Wet Pallets" for sure!
You can make one yourself easily!
Take a plastic CD box, the clear cover.
Put in one or two layers of kitchen roll paper cut to size.
Put on top a layer of baking paper (also available in white)
You can slide the papers under the 4 halfround tabs, or fix it around with paper clips.
If you now made the lower kitchen paper wet, you have your wet pallet - cheap, easy and working.
I do not invented it, I read about it somewhere.

Cheers,
Frank 

Thanks Frank. Perhaps I will give this a try before I spend Money on a commercial variant!
RAGIII

Very effective Rick,

I like that a lot!

Guy

Thanks for the comment Guy!
RAGIII

Been catching up Rick. The streaking is stunning - I am truly very impressed indeed. The black and white stripes will also be a real eye-catcher.

Stephen.

Thanks as always Stephen!
RAGIII

Nice progress, Rick.  I think getting the streaking colors on is a significant milestone.

Thanks Ken. Funny thing is that this is the stage I usually don't like My work. I always like it better once markings are applied  ::)
RAGIII

Rick,
    Your streaking is very impressive, it looks the part and more. I am about to borrow some of your initiative here, am doing the Meng kit and then plan to immediately launch into the Roden version. The temptation to do a double Build was there but I figured one Kit at a time is more my speed! I've been following your progress closely and will continue to do so, lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance! I appreciate that you are following along and look forward to your Meng build!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
Today I masked and painted the black stripes. I am pleased in that not a whole lot of touch up is needed! I used 32 x 7mm strips of Tamiya tape  ::) I also assembled and painted the Meng Engine and the WNW engine I had purchased long ago for use with the Roden kit.
RAGIII

PS: The shot of the underwing surface shows how well the Optical Illusion works. The stripes are angled exactly like the upper surface but from this angle look straight  8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 09:40:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2020, 10:52:41 AM »
RAGIII,
Between this build and the Udet Fokker you did previously, you've really "Earned Your Stripes". Looking great!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2020, 10:59:54 PM »
Earning ones stripes is a lot of work , it takes courage , passion and few beers behind the belt to be successful . You have earned those stripes Rick , top wing looks great and those engines are also very well done .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
RAGIII,
Between this build and the Udet Fokker you did previously, you've really "Earned Your Stripes". Looking great!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Hopefully today I will  Earn a lot More Stripes  ;D
RAGIII

Earning ones stripes is a lot of work , it takes courage , passion and few beers behind the belt to be successful . You have earned those stripes Rick , top wing looks great and those engines are also very well done .

Terri

Thanks Terri! More stripes on the way!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »
So I thought the wings would be the most challenging...wrong! Both sides have a different pattern therefore making the uppers line up is difficult  8) So a little touch up and reshaping of the stripes will be needed.
RAGIII

PS: Scheme is based on drawings fro the Osprey Fokker DR1 Aces book.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »
It's looking good Rick.  Matching the stripes can be a real challenge as the angle of the stripe makes the top wider than the angle of the stripe on the upper part of the fuselage.  I wrestled with that when I did mine in Udets markings.  Just a little tweaking of the stripe made it all come together.  You are doing stellar work and I am following, maybe not commenting a lot but following none the less.  Remember, we're in this together.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Actually Rick , that turned out rather well . It is not an easy scheme and when I did this one in 48 scale I had a bit of touch ups with the stripes as well . This is going to look fab once you get done . Wonderful thread to follow !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2020, 05:19:38 PM »
Brilliant work, still following with interest
 ;D
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »
Great work!! That does look tricky getting everything lined up AND evenly spaced. You have nailed it!!! Very sharp.

Steve (3 days left and counting...)

Offline Monty

« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2020, 02:19:01 AM »
I do like the stripes! You certainly rose to the challenge, Rick! Regards, Marc.