Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67404 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2020, 05:30:25 AM »
Today I painted the undersurfaces using an old Poly Scale color Mix on the Roden Jasta 4 build. I also did the Tail. I hope to add a bit of contrast using oils and another mix of Poly Scale. I decided to replace the Roden decals with ones from WNW that did not require masking over and painting the ends. One thing I can say about the Roden decals, Once they are in place and set with decal solution, THEY ARE SOLID! I was unable to remove all of the decal with Masking Tape and had to resort to sanding and repainting the background!!!!  That being said this is where I am:
RAGIII

PS: One other thing worth Mentioning and this is the Honest Truth. The Roden Decals are brittle. That being said if you can get them in place without chipping or cracking they actually adhere to surface details better than the WNW decals I went with!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 06:57:46 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
Facebook has supplied some interesting "Friends" and very generous researchers. Greg van Wyngarden posted this photo on My FB comment showing My DR1. I assume since he made it public that I can now show the Jasta 4 bird I am doing. This is a cropped closeup as the original is at a distance. Thanks Greg!
RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »
That is looking really, really good, Rick! I'm finding it increasingly difficult not to buy a triplane of my own... (voice of reason inside head: You must not add more to the stash!)
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »
That is looking really, really good, Rick! I'm finding it increasingly difficult not to buy a triplane of my own... (voice of reason inside head: You must not add more to the stash!)
/Fredrik

Thanks for the Kind comment! Everyone should have at least one DR1  8) JMHO,
RAGIII

Offline William Adair

« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »
Everyone should have at least one DR1  8)

You have certainly sold me.  That looks absolutely brilliant.  :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
Honestly Rick , these are shaping up to be your best Fokkers yet ! Brillant  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »
Just catching up again. These both look terrific!! Since we're voting (and if THEY were in an election I would vote for these not those other Fokkers) I pick both! Each have their merits. When you say acrylics you do mean artist or tube acrylics right? Not Vallejo or Tamiya etc. The Roden definitely looks more blended. Is that due to having to work faster  and trying to keep the paint wet? Could you put the paint on, level/smooth it and get a more defined streaking without going faster? Less paint on initial application? Have you seen the wet pallets at the art stores? (AK has them too) Its a container with a layer of sponge and a piece of semi absorbent paper. You add water, put the acrylic paint on the paper and it keeps the paint moist for a substantial length of time(days) - that's a lot of questions, sorry, but I see your method having a huge upside compared to oils. Being able to work sooner on a project after paint means a lot. I retire in 12 days (hence the questions) so my preparations are in the works!! - I cant wait to get at my models full time, figure out how to post pics and get something done!!!!!     

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2020, 11:29:11 PM »
Rick, I really like the streaking on the Roden Jasta 4 model above.  Looks very convincing to my eye.  Carry on!

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2020, 12:44:24 AM »
Everyone should have at least one DR1  8)

You have certainly sold me.  That looks absolutely brilliant.  :)

Thanks for the comment!
RAGIII

Honestly Rick , these are shaping up to be your best Fokkers yet ! Brillant  :)

Terri

Thanks T!
RAGIII

Just catching up again. These both look terrific!! Since we're voting (and if THEY were in an election I would vote for these not those other Fokkers) I pick both! Each have their merits. When you say acrylics you do mean artist or tube acrylics right? Not Vallejo or Tamiya etc. The Roden definitely looks more blended. Is that due to having to work faster  and trying to keep the paint wet? Could you put the paint on, level/smooth it and get a more defined streaking without going faster? Less paint on initial application? Have you seen the wet pallets at the art stores? (AK has them too) Its a container with a layer of sponge and a piece of semi absorbent paper. You add water, put the acrylic paint on the paper and it keeps the paint moist for a substantial length of time(days) - that's a lot of questions, sorry, but I see your method having a huge upside compared to oils. Being able to work sooner on a project after paint means a lot. I retire in 12 days (hence the questions) so my preparations are in the works!! - I cant wait to get at my models full time, figure out how to post pics and get something done!!!!!     

Thanks for the comments. In this case I actually did use Valejo  ::) I need to look into one of those "Wet Pallets" for sure! It would help when painting figures also!  Enjoy your retirement, I know I do. I am looking forward to seeing some of your work soon 8)

These are the Valeyo paints I used...along with water.

RAGIII

Rick, I really like the streaking on the Roden Jasta 4 model above.  Looks very convincing to my eye.  Carry on!

Best,

Bob

Thanks Bob!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:49:08 AM by RAGIII »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2020, 01:01:12 AM »
Thanks for the update. Even more impressed now because you had to work very fast using Vallejo but it all looks in control and right!!

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2020, 09:47:19 AM »
Thanks for the update. Even more impressed now because you had to work very fast using Vallejo but it all looks in control and right!!

Steve

Thanks Again Steve! Today I painted the rear fuselage, tail, and upper wing white as a base for the black and white stripes on the Meng Jasta 6 bird. Next I will do the blue undersides then begin the masking on all of the other stuff  8)
RAGIII

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:05 PM »
Great updates, your streaking technique is very effective.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »
Rick, I really like your progress, this will be a beautiful Dr.I!

I need to look into one of those "Wet Pallets" for sure!
You can make one yourself easily!
Take a plastic CD box, the clear cover.
Put in one or two layers of kitchen roll paper cut to size.
Put on top a layer of baking paper (also available in white)
You can slide the papers under the 4 halfround tabs, or fix it around with paper clips.
If you now made the lower kitchen paper wet, you have your wet pallet - cheap, easy and working.
I do not invented it, I read about it somewhere.

Cheers,
Frank 

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »
Very effective Rick,

I like that a lot!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
Really looking forward on the next step ...STRIPES ! I did this scheme on a Eduards Dr.1 and plan on doing Meng's kit the same

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .