Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67419 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
Following this with interest!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 04:43:06 PM »
Thanks for this comparison! Really helpful for when I get to my Roden kit.
Is it an optical effect, but it seems the Roden rudder is not entirely aligned with the rear fuselage on the drawing? (pointing a bit up?)
The discrepancy on the rudder is smaller then I thought when I read some reviews pointing this out.

Jeroen

You are correct about the Roden rudder being slightly out of alignment. For My build I will use the Encore resin rudder as it is close but a bit oversized so can be carved to a more correct shape.
RAGIII

At least my eyes aren't fooling me  ;D I do kind of wonder how it looks when aligned with the fuselage -it would seem that lower curve would match up a bit better.
I'm following with interest as well :)

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2020, 12:45:42 AM »
So, you now have two dual builds going?? How do you keep things organized?? I cannot wait to see your results.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2020, 01:06:34 AM »
So, you now have two dual builds going?? How do you keep things organized?? I cannot wait to see your results.

Yes, two dual builds. Today I will be doing some cleaning up if parts and preliminary painting on this one...I Hope  8) As for organization, What is that ?  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »
Nice comparison Rick:  As said, Roden makes basically a good kit.  I have built two the DR.i's and the last one I enjoyed building.  Some small challenges but an OOB build that turned out better than I thought it would.  It compares favorably to the MENG kit or the Meng Kit compares favorably with the Roden Kit!  I will be watching along as you go through the build.  I am going to finish a D.VII I started back in Wisconsin then hit the Hobby Craft DR.I.  I don't think I have ever seen one done or build log on it.  Should be fun. 
As Bruno Stackle would say:  "Model on"!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Borsos

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Another fascinating project, Rick. And like the others said a very helpful comparision between the two kits. I am keen on seeing both build up  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2020, 09:40:11 PM »
Nice comparison Rick:  As said, Roden makes basically a good kit.  I have built two the DR.i's and the last one I enjoyed building.  Some small challenges but an OOB build that turned out better than I thought it would.  It compares favorably to the MENG kit or the Meng Kit compares favorably with the Roden Kit!  I will be watching along as you go through the build.  I am going to finish a D.VII I started back in Wisconsin then hit the Hobby Craft DR.I.  I don't think I have ever seen one done or build log on it.  Should be fun. 
As Bruno Stackle would say:  "Model on"!

Thanks Mark. This will be MY 5th Roden DR1. I am really looking forward to seeing you tackle the Hobby Craft kit. Sometime today I will post a couple of update photos on the comparison. 
RAGIII

Another fascinating project, Rick. And like the others said a very helpful comparision between the two kits. I am keen on seeing both build up  :)
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. I made some small progress yesterday. I did get an answer from Ray Rimell reference the axle wing for DR1 586/17. It will use the narrower chord version so I will try to adapt the full chord version to the Roden kit. Saves a lot of Sanding Time  8)
RAGIII

Offline Europapete

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 06:02:54 AM »
Did Ray give any hint on when his book will be ready? Regards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
Did Ray give any hint on when his book will be ready? Regards, Pete in RI

Sorry, but No. On the other hand his build of the F1 seems to be progressing quickly on FB so we can hope it is the last one to be documented  ;D
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2020, 11:54:02 AM »
So a bit of progress. First the Roden rudder correctly positioned on the Drawing.

Thanks to Forum Member Pete the Aviattic Rudder:

The Part PE frets:

Now for the progress. I have begun basic painting of both interiors. I also added the fabrick portion above the bulkhead on the Roden kit using sheet styrene.

RAGIII

PS: The triangular framework on the Roden kit is from the Eduard PE set. Still lots to do and touch up  8)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 12:23:19 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »
RAGIII,
Thanks for demonstrating the short comings of the Roden kit. I've got a few of those in the stash so your build will serve as a great tutorial.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Monty

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
Nice start, there Rick! Not sure whether that fabric extension above the rear cockpit bulkhead will be at all visible though! I'm going to leave it off if it doesn't show! I am following with interest! Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
RAGIII,
Thanks for demonstrating the short comings of the Roden kit. I've got a few of those in the stash so your build will serve as a great tutorial.

Kevin

Thanks for the comment Kevin. I hope in the end rather than the shortcomings of the Roden kit we will see the Possibilities  ;D
RAGIII

Nice start, there Rick! Not sure whether that fabric extension above the rear cockpit bulkhead will be at all visible though! I'm going to leave it off if it doesn't show! I am following with interest! Regards, Marc

Thanks Marc. This is the first time I have bothered to add that fabric extension. We shall see how it goes  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 01:49:13 AM »
Nice to see some paint laid down , both are starting to shape up with their inners excellently .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 03:14:03 AM »
Nice to see some paint laid down , both are starting to shape up with their inners excellently .  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri. I did just a Tad more today. I am going with Richard Alexander's theory on the red/brown primer  8) May or May not be valid but it will be different from MY other builds!
RAGIII

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:16:51 AM by RAGIII »