Author Topic: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4, Jasta 6, and Jasta 11  (Read 67434 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng and Roden Fokker DR1: Jasta 4 and Jasta 6
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 11:20:45 PM »
Nice comparison of the two kits Rick  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri.

I have received permission from Ray Rimell to use the 1/32nd scale drawings from the Fokker DR1 Jagdstaffeln book in order to show the relative differences in the two kits. All drawings are copyright of Albatros Publications and should not be shared without permission.

RAGIII

Roden kit upper and Mid wing, Tail and elevator. The elevator is slightly off shape. ( Note that the wing tips have not been attached!

Same parts from the Meng kit:

The left fuselage from Roden. ( The fuselage is not over long as it "Appears" in the photo. My Lousy photography is responsible)

The Left Fuselage from Meng. ( Same note on the length as before!

The Roden Rudder:

Resin rudder from Encore:

The Meng Rudder:

Roden Axle wing:

Finally, the Meng Axle wing:

I want to emphasize that these were hasty photos and the ultimate comparison will be forthcoming in the Albatros Publications book on building the Fokker DR1 ! This is just to give a general idea of the differences.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:58:15 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
Over all there really isn't much of a difference at all . A few small things which should be easy fixes if one chooses to do so .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 11:16:04 PM »
Over all there really isn't much of a difference at all . A few small things which should be easy fixes if one chooses to do so .

Terri

Shape wise that is certainly true although I have been told there is a significant difference in the circumference of the cowl and forward fuselage. Detail wise the Meng kit is far and away superior. That being said, the Roden kit can be built to a high standard as Many of our Forum Members have shown!
RAGIII

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 12:31:27 AM »
If you need anything cutting, don't be shy to ask.

Good luck!

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 03:57:35 AM »
I'm following along on this one, Rick.  As you know, I have built a Roden Dr.1 and have a Meng Dr.1 in the stash.  This is the first modeling subject I have ever bought two of.
I would bet the rudder curvature ended up different on every DR.1 made, as well as on every drawing made, as curves like that (changing radius) are very difficult to reproduce exactly.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 07:31:29 AM »
If you need anything cutting, don't be shy to ask.

Good luck!

vB  :)

Thanks Bob. I know I will need to order some Strippers and will let you know if any "Special" masks become necessary  8)
 RAGIII

I'm following along on this one, Rick.  As you know, I have built a Roden Dr.1 and have a Meng Dr.1 in the stash.  This is the first modeling subject I have ever bought two of.
I would bet the rudder curvature ended up different on every DR.1 made, as well as on every drawing made, as curves like that (changing radius) are very difficult to reproduce exactly.

I am of course Familiar with your Roden DR1 build. I am sure you will find the Meng kit to be a joy to build. This will be MY 5th Roden DR1 build so My plan is to correct some of the things I just let go by with the other 4  ::)  Now that I have looked the parts over I plan to really start building soon!
RAGIII

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 03:20:07 AM »
Thanks for this comparison! Really helpful for when I get to my Roden kit.
Is it an optical effect, but it seems the Roden rudder is not entirely aligned with the rear fuselage on the drawing? (pointing a bit up?)
The discrepancy on the rudder is smaller then I thought when I read some reviews pointing this out.

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 03:29:26 AM »
Thanks for this comparison! Really helpful for when I get to my Roden kit.
Is it an optical effect, but it seems the Roden rudder is not entirely aligned with the rear fuselage on the drawing? (pointing a bit up?)
The discrepancy on the rudder is smaller then I thought when I read some reviews pointing this out.

Jeroen

You are correct about the Roden rudder being slightly out of alignment. For My build I will use the Encore resin rudder as it is close but a bit oversized so can be carved to a more correct shape.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 05:15:56 AM »
Some very useful comparative notes here Rick which I am usre many people are going to find very useful.

Stephen.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 05:17:11 AM »
Errr.....Richard, does your wife know you will be ordering some strippers?  Aviattic makes an accurate rudder. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 05:29:52 AM »
Quite surprised how decent the Roden kit looks. To be fair I haven’t actually made a Roden kit yet! Be interesting to see how the fit compares.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 07:27:23 AM »
Great job on the side by side comparison Amigo.   Look forward to the builds. have you decided on the schemes ?

Ed 
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Some very useful comparative notes here Rick which I am usre many people are going to find very useful.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen.
RAGIII

Errr.....Richard, does your wife know you will be ordering some strippers?  Aviattic makes an accurate rudder. Regards, Pete in RI

Shhhh  8) As for the Aviattic Rudder I am aware. I just don't have the funds to do all I might like. The Encore rudder will look fine when I am done, At least I hope  ;D
RAGIII

Quite surprised how decent the Roden kit looks. To be fair I haven’t actually made a Roden kit yet! Be interesting to see how the fit compares.

Guy

Roden makes basically Good Kits. Only the introduction of WNW made them look substandard. Had WNW never appeared Roden would have been the standard of 1/32nd scale WW1 and we would have been fine with the kits! JMHO.
RAGIII

Great job on the side by side comparison Amigo.   Look forward to the builds. have you decided on the schemes ?

Ed 

Thanks Amigo, I hope to start soon on actually building. I sort of got involved in My other Dual build today  :o By the way, yes I have decided on schemes. I will do the Meng kit as Kirschsteins Stripey Jasta 6 bird and the Roden will be a Jasta 4 DR1 with a white- black- white- black-white sash on the fuselage, and blue tail, cowling, and struts.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:57:08 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
Interesting and thorough comparisons, so far Rick! We are going on a great journey here... I'm very tempted to do the same kind of thing.... There are quite a few problems with the Roden kit I will definitely ignore! Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 01:17:36 AM »
Interesting and thorough comparisons, so far Rick! We are going on a great journey here... I'm very tempted to do the same kind of thing.... There are quite a few problems with the Roden kit I will definitely ignore! Regards, Marc.

Thanks for the comments. I am going to attempt to fix "Most" of the issues....we shall see  8)
RAGIII