Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38390 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2021, 06:13:11 AM »
You have certainly won with that wing Richie, whatever your doubts may be. In my experience getting the top wing on even nearly accurately is an achievement, and I know that others experience similar problems because I have seen the results of their efforts for real! If it looks about right from most angles, then it is right! Rigging should not take too long as it is relatively simple and then you will have completed your first WW1 masterpiece. Looking forward to seeing it.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2021, 07:07:02 AM »
Y'know what's happened there with that weathering, don't you. Some inconsiderate swine has gone and CLEANED IT!

Honestly, what's a modeller supposed to do

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
Thanks so much Rick, Willem and Stephen. I was feeling a bit fed up with it but you've really lifted my spirits!

Haha, Rick I remember so well you trying so hard to walk me through the WNW Camel. I found it such a fiddly model and ended up abandoning it in the end. I might well use the engine and other bits and bobs for a project one day but so comprehensive was my defeat that I don't think I can resurrect it. I have to remember that was only a year or so ago and enjoy how much I've learned since joining this great forum.

Stephen, I really hope to show you the finished model but I have cricket matches on Saturday and Sunday so hopefully everything will go well on Monday and I can complete the main rigging and trim off the excess fishing line and fill and retouch all the little holes.

Y'know what's happened there with that weathering, don't you. Some inconsiderate swine has gone and CLEANED IT!

Honestly, what's a modeller supposed to do

Richard

Yes Richard, why'd they go and do a thing like that? When I saw it last year even the metalwork was filthy with oil and it looked glorious! What I find weird though is that the engine cowl is always matt and stained despite being aluminium like the side panels. Perhaps it's the heat from the engine or maybe it gets so plastered they have to scour it with abrasives.

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
Don't be hard on your self Richie , you have done a fantastic job on her to date . Your skills have really shined here !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2021, 04:00:41 PM »
looking pretty damn good from where i'm sitting, as a first scratch build it's one to be proud of

Offline William Adair

« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »
Looks wonderful to me too.  What a delight.
When scratchbuilding, I find the bit where you get fed up is always right when you are finally getting somewhere.  If you push through you will suddenly find you have done something great and the next stage will feel a lot easier.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2021, 02:01:10 AM »
A first scratchbuild is always a learning experience (in fact, every one is) and you've done great with this one.  It's almost done now and soon you will be able to admire the end result and say to yourself in no uncertain terms -'I made this!'.

Bughunter

« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2021, 02:24:38 AM »
All parts are coming together to form a beautiful biplane now!
Looks like a WNW, but you did it without :thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Frank

PS: Once you are finished with this bird it may be the right moment between two projects to clean up the bench

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2021, 06:49:40 AM »
Leave the mess Richie , it shows character ! :) ;) 8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #384 on: August 02, 2021, 03:45:04 AM »
Many, many thanks for your kindness, encouragement and good humour everybody. I hope to have an update tomorrow with all of the main rigging done.

Alexis I think Frank is right, the bench is in desperate need of a clear up again. I spend more time looking for bits than modelling recently!  :D

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2021, 07:05:52 AM »
Just a quick little update, the main rigging is all done although looking at the photo I just noticed that the rigging on the undercarriage has mostly pinged off. Many little touch ups will be needed but it is so nearly finished. I am so glad I didn't succumb to the temptation to test its resistance to hammer blows last week. I have a new golden rule, NEVER go to the workbench whilst feeling miserable!

Rigging by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks lovely people for all your encouragement, this one would be in the rubbish bin by now without you.

Best wishes
Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2021, 07:49:26 AM »
She's looking great Richie!

I'm sure that you can ping the undercarriage rigging right back on  ;)

The "hammer-thought" sounds all too familiar.

This is a good example of perseverance,  resilience  and stamina.

Very inspiring!

Willem

Offline DaveB

« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
Looks fantastic, Richie -

Can't wait to this is the 'Completed models' section.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #388 on: August 03, 2021, 01:17:54 AM »
The rigging looks great and repairing the gear wires should be NO Problem for a New Master scratch Builder  ;D I am Gobsmacked by your results on this one Richie!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #389 on: August 03, 2021, 01:41:52 AM »
Take a deep breath Richie ,

Been there many times over having to repair rigging lines , it really isn't all that bad and is easily repaired . If I had a pair of giant green hands ( like she hulk :) ) , many projects would have smashed. So you are a head of game !!!

Learn't many years ago to never sit in front of the bench when the weather inside me turns , I have to shine inside and you my friend shine very brightly indeed ! Keep up with the excellence  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch