Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39064 times)

Bughunter

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #390 on: August 03, 2021, 04:27:49 AM »
That is a good progress Richie! Keep focus on the last meters and do not try to force things!

Alexis I think Frank is right, the bench is in desperate need of a clear up again. I spend more time looking for bits than modelling recently!
That was my intention!

I have now some of those drawers below my workbench, which helped a lot with easy access to the tools (and allow to put the tools out of the way quickly). Here is only an example, there are slight differences (to mount with tape, with little screws, size, colors ...) Ebay and Amazon has a lot of offers.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/373522103777

May be I should post this tip somewhere else in the forum to get a better attention.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #391 on: August 03, 2021, 06:10:08 AM »
So very close to the finish line Richie! That really does look the business, and as others have commented those u/c rigging lines will be a very minor issue to sort out when compared to what you have achieved so far. This is an exceptional build for a first scratch build - I am really looking forward to seeing this one completed - it has been a long journey but a very worthwhile one.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »
A bit of pinged rigging is about par for the course. I don't know if you are having the same experience, I find rigging on scratchbuilt models actually adds to the structure

Other popular rigging annoyances I have discovered include:

Accidentally cutting rigged wires when trimming off ends.
Threading the wire through the wrong end of a brass tube
Getting a wire wrapped around a strut
Getting wires crossed over other wires
Leaving the wire too short
Pulling the model out of shape

On the other hand, there's something satisfying about rigging a model

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2021, 06:49:41 AM »
Many thanks Willem, Rick, Dave, Frank, Alexis and Stephen. Yes it's been a heck of a long project but this lovely little biplane has taught me a lot about model making, history, the virtues of patience and perhaps the importance of tidying up the workspace. Well perhaps Frank and Willem are trying to teach me the importance of being tidier :)

Rick you have been so kind to me since my very first post on this great forum but a close look at this model would quickly show me as very much the master's apprentice. I can't thank you enough for your support though!

Yes Frank, I'm going to pace myself over the last stretch. Then I'm going to clear my bench and get some of those drawers!

I got quite a lot done today.

Tail feathers added, I used balsa splints to keep everything in line

Tail feathers by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Rigging completed;

Rigging completed by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have still to make the struts for the tail feathers, the bamboo hoops that go under the lower wings and reattach the undercarriage rigging but the main jobs are all done. Hopefully I can do a good job of all the little touch ups needed and then I can begin a massive and very difficult project....tidying up!  :D

Many thanks for sticking with me for just over a year now!

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »
Absolutely oozes character - love it!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2021, 07:40:39 AM »
Absolutely oozes character - love it!

Richard

Thanks so much Richard, we must have been posting at the same time!

I love that list of rigging woes, I did most of them over the last few days. Especially the wrapping threads round the struts, I ended up with an absolute birds nest round the cabanes at one point. Luckily I got used to untangling fishing line after spending many years at the water's edge untangling fishing line. Strange pass time that! ;)

I have one to add;

Leaving the line far too long, getting it glued to my fingers and nearly dragging the model off the bench when leaving the room. It was very nearly Goodnight Vienna!

Richie

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
A superb result, Ritchie!  An awesome subject matter and you've pulled it off!  Go have a beer, or whatever.   ;)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #397 on: August 03, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »
A superb result, Ritchie!  An awesome subject matter and you've pulled it off!  Go have a beer, or whatever.   ;)

Agreed, and Have a Couple for Me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline William Adair

« Reply #398 on: August 03, 2021, 10:36:41 PM »
Congratulations.  What an amazing result.  The airframe, colours and weathering look spot on.  It looks like you could kick the tyres and climb right in!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2021, 11:06:00 PM »
Richie,
    It's indeed been a long haul for you however what a beautiful result! Richard says it so well, "absolutely oozes character". All but complete now, congratulations on a beautiful model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #400 on: August 04, 2021, 01:41:53 AM »
Very very impressive Richie , can't wait to see her finished now !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online macsporran

« Reply #401 on: August 04, 2021, 02:09:42 AM »
Superb.
Sandy

Bughunter

« Reply #402 on: August 04, 2021, 03:42:06 AM »
I would say, looking at the pictures, that I think this plane is a Bristol Scout. Definitely!
Couldn't be better!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #403 on: August 04, 2021, 06:15:42 AM »
I just wish that others could see this Richie, as I did earlier today. It looks awesome in photos so others will just have to guess what it looks like close up on the table. You are very close indeed to finishing this now, so leave the beer for a few days and then buy yourself a ticket for the Munich beer festival... you will be just in time and you can call in to Frank on the way and show him!!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2021, 10:34:38 PM »

Agreed, and Have a Couple for Me!
RAGIII

Thanks so much Ken and Rick, I think after a year of head scratching it's beer time at last. I shall have one for both of you and a few for me too![

quote author=William Adair link=topic=11284.msg232256#msg232256 date=1627994201]
Congratulations.  What an amazing result.  The airframe, colours and weathering look spot on.  It looks like you could kick the tyres and climb right in!
[/quote]

Many thanks William, your SB6 was a huge inspiration. I still scratch my head and wonder how such a model could be possible but I'm pleased with my first effort!

Richie,
    It's indeed been a long haul for you however what a beautiful result! Richard says it so well, "absolutely oozes character". All but complete now, congratulations on a beautiful model!
Cheers,
Lance

Many thanks Lance, I'm finally calling it done. I feel really happy, this is only my second completed model since you so warmly welcomed me to the forum 18 months ago. Hopefully I can work a bit more efficiently now!

Very very impressive Richie , can't wait to see her finished now !

Alexis

Thanks as always Alexis, the wait is over. Will post in completed models shortly. Thanks for your constant encouragement and sense of humour!

Superb.
Sandy

Cheers Sandy! :D

I would say, looking at the pictures, that I think this plane is a Bristol Scout. Definitely!
Couldn't be better!

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, you are a legend!

I just wish that others could see this Richie, as I did earlier today. It looks awesome in photos so others will just have to guess what it looks like close up on the table. You are very close indeed to finishing this now, so leave the beer for a few days and then buy yourself a ticket for the Munich beer festival... you will be just in time and you can call in to Frank on the way and show him!!

Stephen.

Stephen, as I said to you yesterday, I cannot thank you enough for all your kindness and encouragement in leading me down the scratch building road. You were so right when you told me last year that it is the most rewarding form of modelling.

Well, I'm calling it done now. There are so many touch ups and refinements that I could spend another 6 months doing but I think it's time to raise a glass and call it done.

Here is a little preview picture, I will post more in completed models shortly.

1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thank you so much everybody for all the tips, advice and encouragement.

Best wishes all
Richie