Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39074 times)

Bughunter

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2021, 05:22:54 AM »
You do it the right way - step by step finding solutions and add new nice parts to your artwork!
Looks already very nice.

I would quite like to finish this project one day!
I hope so!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline DaveB

« Reply #361 on: July 20, 2021, 08:23:27 PM »
Great to see your Bristol Scout on it's feet now - can't wait to see the finished result.

Regarding the cowling panel fit - I've noticed on real aircraft that the panel fit is not always nice and flush so I would not worry about it.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2021, 10:14:42 PM »
You do it the right way - step by step finding solutions and add new nice parts to your artwork!
Looks already very nice.

I would quite like to finish this project one day!
I hope so!

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, I'm slowly getting there. I am actually shocked to have got this far. I can almost see the finish line now!

Great to see your Bristol Scout on it's feet now - can't wait to see the finished result.

Regarding the cowling panel fit - I've noticed on real aircraft that the panel fit is not always nice and flush so I would not worry about it.

Regards

Dave

Many thanks Dave, that is good news regarding the cowling fit! I was contemplating trying to remove it but decided that there might be carnage as a result. Hopefully this will be done in a week or two. I have only the Lewis gun mount, rear struts and control horns left to make. The 1264 serial number will probably just be letraset.

I like the Bristol Scout so much I might make Lanoe Hawker's machine and use the figure from the WNW DH2 kit.

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2021, 12:01:42 AM »
Really looks Awesome sitting on its gear Richie! Looking forward to that upper wing being put in it's proper place!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2021, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi Richie,

I think she's looking great already. Looks like her last landing was a little rough and the side panel parted a little from the cowling. Makes it only more realistic IMHO. I love the weathering and the oil stains around the filler cap.

She's going to be a beauty for sure!

Willem

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #365 on: July 22, 2021, 01:53:22 AM »
Hi Richie ,

I was going to mess with you and say that the landing gear legs are backwards , but than I though what if comes down here and mess's up some of my builds ...Well I sure wouldn't feel to good about that at all so I have decided against telling you that . It just wouldn't be a very nice thing to do .

So I will say that it looks awesome in place and you are really doing one hell of job on this build !

Alexis , taking cover ...
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #366 on: July 23, 2021, 04:22:15 PM »
i think the cowl looks great and now it's up on it's legs it's really looking the part

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #367 on: July 23, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »
Excellent progress Richie - it really is beginning to look like a Scout with the lower wing and u/c in place. The colours look even more convincing now that the sub-assemblies are coming together. Fixing the upper wing will probably test your nerves a bit, but a few dry runs and some simple jigs will solve all of the problems.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #368 on: July 24, 2021, 05:59:52 AM »
Really looks Awesome sitting on its gear Richie! Looking forward to that upper wing being put in it's proper place!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, I'm looking forward to seeing the upper wing in place too, hopefully in its proper place! :)

Hi Richie,

I think she's looking great already. Looks like her last landing was a little rough and the side panel parted a little from the cowling. Makes it only more realistic IMHO. I love the weathering and the oil stains around the filler cap.

She's going to be a beauty for sure!

Willem

Thanks Willem, I reckon that's a good explanation for the misalignment! I think the pilot got a little carried away by flying the world's first fully aerobatic aircraft, twisted the frame pulling too many violent stunts and so couldn't control the landing!
Hi Richie ,

I was going to mess with you and say that the landing gear legs are backwards , but than I though what if comes down here and mess's up some of my builds ...Well I sure wouldn't feel to good about that at all so I have decided against telling you that . It just wouldn't be a very nice thing to do .

So I will say that it looks awesome in place and you are really doing one hell of job on this build !

Alexis , taking cover ...

Thanks Alexis! No need to run for cover, you made me triple check the landing gear which is a good thing.

i think the cowl looks great and now it's up on it's legs it's really looking the part

Many thanks EBF, I really enjoyed every part of making the cowl. Especially eating the sauce that that donated its bottle top to make it!

Excellent progress Richie - it really is beginning to look like a Scout with the lower wing and u/c in place. The colours look even more convincing now that the sub-assemblies are coming together. Fixing the upper wing will probably test your nerves a bit, but a few dry runs and some simple jigs will solve all of the problems.

Stephen.

Many thanks Stephen, I'm really pleased with how the painting has come out. The CDL colour is  all bone yellow and ochre Ammo Oilbrushers rubbed on with cotton buds. I have a lot of touching up and some control horns to make before resuming hostilities with the top wing but it will happen.

Time has been in short supply this week but I managed to take a small step forward that has been holding me up. The Lewis gun arrived from Gaspatch and very lovely it is too. I made the mount from styrene channel, brass wire, miniature hex nuts and bits of left over photo etch fret. Brass pins are used to help form a stronger bond to the fuselage and the gun which is just dry fitted here.

Lewis gun practice fit. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Sorry for the rubbish photo, the worst thing about it is that is shows I have managed to remove the latches and hinges from the access hatch. Ho hum.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #369 on: July 24, 2021, 06:56:54 AM »
I do that more and more often - the pins thing. It makes painting a lot easier, and if the model will hang together without glue, it's going to be fine when I finish assemble it

You probably haven't finished this yet, at the moment there seems to be a big mismatch in the weathering between the fuselage and the side cowls. The cowls look to clean!

And the gun is delightful!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #370 on: July 25, 2021, 03:25:09 AM »
Got to agree with Richard that the gun and mount is delightful.All very Heath-Robinson - just like the original!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »
I do that more and more often - the pins thing. It makes painting a lot easier, and if the model will hang together without glue, it's going to be fine when I finish assemble it

You probably haven't finished this yet, at the moment there seems to be a big mismatch in the weathering between the fuselage and the side cowls. The cowls look to clean!

And the gun is delightful!

Richard

Many thanks Richard, I totally get what you say about the weathering but it's a little odd on the actual aircraft. The first time I saw it the fuselage was plastered with castor oil stains, the aluminium cowling was also heavily stained and matt but the side panels were still shiny! Oddly the panel on top of the fuselage just behind the engine cowling, although aluminium is a different colour altogether!

50170998237_e31a63529d_b by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I think she was recovered during lockdown last year so the linen all looks very pristine now,

20191116_104554 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I had intended to model her as she is now but my less than precise skills meant I had to hide some mistakes with a bit of weathering. :(

All very Heath-Robinson - just like the original!

Stephen.

Many thanks Stephen, Heath Robinson style suits my often clumsy approach at the moment!

I won't get any time for a few days but hopefully the next update will see all the flying surfaces mounted.

Best wishes all
Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #372 on: July 31, 2021, 03:20:29 AM »
The Battle of the Top Wing is over, the Battle of the Rigging is about to begin. Well it's actually begun but that wouldn't have helped to channel my inner Churchill. I will be needing plenty of his kind of determination to get this finished, the Battle of the Top Wing was not a victory for me, more of a strategic withdrawal to preserve what remains of my mojo. Things got really ugly and I have decided to just plod on and get it finished even if it looks a bit on the warty side. ;)

20210730_180251 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Have a great weekend everybody
Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #373 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:21 AM »
That looks Brilliant Richie! When I think back to the WNW Camel seeming to be too challenging, (In your Mind), I can't believe how far your modeling and talent have progressed!!!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #374 on: July 31, 2021, 05:46:53 AM »
I disagree with you Richie, you can definitely call this a victory.

And I totally agree with all that Rick said.

You can be proud!

Willem