Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38387 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2021, 05:48:47 AM »
I've taken to just telling the wingtips to get on with it and stick. I'm considering trying double sided tape instead of solvent

In theory, the styrene won't bend into a double curvature, by using small wooden clothes pegs it usually gives up

Another solution would be to cut wedges out of the styrene - I haven't tried that yet

Richard

Thanks Richard, yes I'm going for double sided tape but will cover the whole surface like Naimbs does in his builds. clothes pegs may well be involved!

In the meantime the cockpit coaming was a worry, it needed to be made in two pieces because there is a big drop from front to back in the aperture. In the end it proved to be no big problem after bending the styrene sheet round a pen top with boiling water. The leather padding was made with miiliput, I may need to sand it down when dry. Since taking the photo I masked round it with tape trying to leave a uniform gap and am in the process of adding layers of primer to try to create the effect of the layer of leather surround that is stitched to the structure. I don't plan on trying to simulate the stitching.

Cockpit coaming and milliput leather padding added. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

There's not much more I can do to the fuselage until the wings are made, I haven't thought about how I am going to make the undercarriage legs yet. The delay will give me breathing space to come up with a plan.

Many thanks everybody for all the encouragement and tips, you have no idea how much you have helped me get this far!

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »
Hmm, seems like I didn't explain myself very well.

I also cover the whole balsa core with double sided tape, it works well. Then I use solvent to joint the upper and lower surface along the trailing edge. Finally, I bond the wingtips, also with solvent

I'm considering substituting double sided tape to join the upper and lower surfaces at the wingtips. It would avoid getting too much solvent into the joint causing shrinkage, and it would be quick, so the surfaces don't get a chance to move around

I'm going to try that on my next wing

Incidentally, I always split the leading edge of the wing covering at the wingtips with a scalpel. It gives somewhere for the excess material in the lower surface somewhere to go.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »
That sounds like a good plan. I worry about the glue melting the styrene as it did on the tail feathers many moons ago.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2021, 08:33:01 AM »
Keep working on the wings Richie. Personally I do not like Woodmann's method of making wings but I know that many others do and they make excellent models. I would go for the laminated plastic and file/sand method - quicker and easier and avoids the double sided tape and glue problems. Alternatively I would carve a wing from wood and use filler as you have suggested. However I am confident that you will find a solution that best suits you and produce first class wings in the process.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
Can I suggest -  using bamboo chopsticks for making the struts ? Splits easily ,  sands well has a ture to scale wood grain , takes paint or stain very well and is verrrry strong !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2021, 08:58:33 PM »
Thanks Stephen, I shall get there in the end!

Yes Alexis, you may certainly suggest bamboo chopsticks, I have a little stash of them so that's a perfect suggestion!

Richie

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt- novel wing method?
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »
Just a very quick thought, I may have drunkenly stumbled on a method to create the wing surface contours. I had a very quick little play att compressing the shape directly into the balsa. I didn't measure anything out so consider this a rough sketch. I tried rolling the shape in with a cocktail stick, a paintbrush handle and finally a brass rod. I think this has some promise! On the underside of wings I have noticed that the ribs are actually the lowest point as the canvas if anything gently sags between them. A gentle pressure at the rib points would be all that is needed to create this. I had a few beers tonight so this is all very crude, with a bit of refinement I think it will work in combination with tape strips and a few coats of primer.

Wing experiment by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Am I onto something or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm off to the Shuttleworth Collection on Monday anybody got any picture wants?

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2021, 08:05:43 AM »
Sneaky! It's a crazy plan, and it just might work!

I'm green with envy about your trip to Shuttleworth though

Richard

Online Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »

I really think you are on to something Richie! I have some tailplanes to do, and I will definitely give this a try!

Any ideas on how to finish the the surface?

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2021, 07:03:40 PM »
Sneaky! It's a crazy plan, and it just might work!

I'm green with envy about your trip to Shuttleworth though

Richard

I'm quite excited about this method, going to experiment more with my ruined cores.

Shuttleworth reopens from Monday, I have pre booked my slot. My very elderly parents live close by so I can visit them too. Got to make the most of the chance while it's there!

I really think you are on to something Richie! I have some tailplanes to do, and I will definitely give this a try!

Any ideas on how to finish the the surface?

Willem

I had a bit of success with the original cores by coating in liquid poly cement followed by Vallejo plastic to fill the grain and then Tamiya rattle can primer. More experimentation is needed but I am hopeful/foolishly optimistic!

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2021, 10:52:48 PM »
Keep barking at that tree Richie  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2021, 11:39:15 PM »

I had a bit of success with the original cores by coating in liquid poly cement followed by Vallejo plastic to fill the grain and then Tamiya rattle can primer. More experimentation is needed but I am hopeful/foolishly optimistic!

Richie

If it is of any help - I no longer do any of this. I apply the double sided tape straight onto the balsa core

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2021, 01:38:07 AM »
Keep barking at that tree Richie  ;)

Alexis

Still barking....possibly barking mad. Have been experimenting a bit today. Might have a rough result to show you later. :)

HI Richard, any advice always helps   I'll try that too. I'm having a play with my scrapped cores. One I will try to skin Woodman style but am going to skin the wing tip separately.

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2021, 01:45:41 AM »
I'd also try working dents into an already skinned wing

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2021, 01:51:48 AM »
I'd also try working dents into an already skinned wing

Richard

YES!!!!! That is a great idea! 👍