Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)  (Read 14694 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2020, 05:12:26 AM »
Mike, the cockpit details, wings etc. look fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2020, 05:17:21 AM »
This is another impressive bit of modeling from your bench Mike.  An inspiration to us all.  This will be a useful tutorial for future builds of this kit, regardless of early or late version.  Thanks for the detail.  Very well done!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »

Wow, looks awesome!  Love the interior!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2020, 11:07:03 PM »
Just noticed this build, really interesting and plenty of beautiful updates to a very basic kit.
Following is a great pleasure, thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
Hi all,
The fuselage of this aircraft was coloured blue and was applied over what were the original National markings (fuselage and rudder). However, the markings were still visible under the applied blue colour and therefore need to be represented on the model. The colour profile of this aircraft and others from Jasta 15 appear in several books and the profile artist for the one used does state that the over painted markings are speculative and based on previous aircraft flown in Jasta 15.

The following photograph, although of poor quality, shows a large white cross with the black cross at its centre on the fuselage. The rudder seems to show a very faded black cross under the white coloured rudder with the later black cross superimposed.

The colour profile has the previous rudder marking as the old style ’Cross Pattée’. However, when the photograph is changed to a negative, the marking, although difficult to see, does appear to be more of a standard cross in shape.

Between March and May of 1918, the ’Idflieg’ ordered that the National markings be changed, but initially no dimensions were given and confusion at the various Jasta’s led to a wide
variation in the shape of the new cross markings. The older ’Cross Pattée’ marking was used earlier in WW1 and I personally doubt that this underlying marking would have been on an
aircraft in 1918, especially when you consider that the first production batch of D.III aircraft was placed in March 1918, the same month the ‘Cross Pattée’ was discontinued. Therefore I've chosen to use the later cross shape as the underlying marking on the rudder, rather than the older ’Cross Pattée’.

I'm intending to chip the paintwork on the forward metal panels and engine cowl, so I've applied a base coat of 'Alclad' Duraluminium (ALC-102).
Then a coat of cheap hairspray, as I can't get on with chipping fluids, which I find tend to bead up.   

The figures I chose to use are the pilot and airman from the ‘Aviattic’ - “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman (ATTRES 024)

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
Outstanding work Mike  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2020, 11:18:24 PM »
Mike,
   A pleasure to follow along, I marvel at the quality of detail you apply to all of your projects. The "show through" markings are a touch often missed and when applied will add a lot to the model. Great work thus far!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »
This is certainly one of your best builds. A difficult kit with so much added!
RAGIII

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
Nice research!  I like the figures you've chosen.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2020, 03:37:29 AM »
Hi all,
The base colours of red (engine cowl, propeller spinner and forward fuselage) and blue (fuselage and tail unit) have been applied (both darkened slightly).

The masks were used to create the fuselage and rudder 'over painted markings, which were then airbrush over to give the impression of being over painted.
The fuselage markings will be partially covered by the pilot's personal markings and a decal will be used for the rudder cross.
The fuselage markings are strange looking but based of the photograph I posted earlier (evidence of the confusion the orders of March/May 1918 caused).

I've 'hair sprayed' an under coat before applying the red, as those areas have metal surfaces that I want to chip slightly.
The overall semi-sheen finish and weathering will be applied once the wing decals have been applied.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:00:04 AM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2020, 05:28:06 AM »
Really looking Terrific all around! The difference between the kit lower panels and cowling cutouts and yours really show once painted in the bright colors. The over paint of the crosses looks true to the photos, Well done!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »
Beautiful work Mike, that looks like a perfect finish.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2020, 01:34:04 AM »
Hi all,
Things happen don't they!!
I was sat at my work station holding the fuselage/lower wings assembly when it slipped from my hand.
I quickly snapped my legs together to stop the model from falling to the floor and getting damaged.
Sadly my legs didn't move fast enough and I ended up clamping the model between both legs.
Result - both lower wings snapped at the extension joint and ended up pointing up at at 90 degrees to the wing roots.
As I'd pinned the joints the outer wings didn't snap off completely.
I've now repaired and re-pinned the wings together.
Hey-Ho,

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2020, 01:48:44 AM »
Hi all,
Things happen don't they!!
I was sat at my work station holding the fuselage/lower wings assembly when it slipped from my hand.
I quickly snapped my legs together to stop the model from falling to the floor and getting damaged.
Sadly my legs didn't move fast enough and I ended up clamping the model between both legs.
Result - both lower wings snapped at the extension joint and ended up pointing up at at 90 degrees to the wing roots.
As I'd pinned the joints the outer wings didn't snap off completely.
I've now repaired and re-pinned the wings together.
Hey-Ho,

Mike

Accidents seem to be the thing this week Mike! Glad to hear yours was repairable!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2020, 01:49:25 AM »
Mike
Sorry to hear about your disaster Mike, at least you didn't try to clamp a dropped Xacto between your legs. I have no doubt your repairs will be unnoticeable.
They say bad things happen in threes. Between you, Rick and myself, we have that covered. This seems like an ideal time to add top wings since the quota has been met :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.