Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)  (Read 14819 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Hi all,
Next up on the modelling bench is the Roden 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III.
As the last three models I've built were resin and needed more than a little 'correction', I thought I'd get back to styrene for this one.
That said I am aware this kit will also need some attention, so I've noted observations from the previous builds of 'Lance', 'IWIK' and our own 'Des', in addition to those noted in the 'Pheon' decal booklet.

This model represents the early version of the Siemens Schuckert D.III (Serial number between 8340/17 and 8359/17), as flown by Ltn. Joachim von Ziegesar when serving with Jasta 15 during May, 1918. 

Aftermarket consists of:
‘Aviattic’ linen effect Lozenge decals -ATT32108, ATT32109, ATT32013,  ATT32073 and ATT32075.
'Aviattic' Wood grain dark (ATT32235).
'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes (ATTETCH001).
‘Pheon’ 32023 decals - Siemens Schuckert D.III Markings.
‘Brengun’ photo-etch Siemens Schuckert D.III (BRL32014).
‘Gaspatch’ 1/32 Spandau 08/15 Extended loading Handle (Late) machine guns.
'HGW' Models' seat belts (32006).
'Loon Models' resin conversion (LO32006)
Hopefully, if Alex comes up good - 'ProperPlane' wood laminated four bladed propeller.

One day I will build something 'OOB',

Mike

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:55:02 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:24:19 AM »

Mike

Highly Doubtful Mike  ;D I will follow along as I have one of these in the stash!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »
Great Mike!
This is going to be a fun one to watch as you give it the treatment.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »
Quote from: Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris on Today at 05:55:32 AM

Mike

Quote from: sp

"BWAHAHAHA"

But I'll still follow along and learn something
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
Mike,
    Great choice; frankly, despite several of the kit's "challenges", it is still my favorite model of all those in my cabinets. It's a "mean" looking aircraft and with a bit of extra effort it builds into a beautiful model. Very timely choice as well, under your skilled treatment it should reinforce the fact that the Roden line is very decent and more so in the face of the recent impact from the Wingnut Wings event. It should look spectacular in that dark wood scheme and I'm eagerly looking forward to following along. I recently picked up another of these and also that excellent Bren Gun PE Set as I always planned a second one in a dark wood scheme. You now have my undivided attention!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 08:23:19 AM »
Excellent choice of subject! Yes this kit has some warts but it is my favorite finished build I have done - it is about the only one I don't look at and find a lot of faults or things I wish I had done differently.
-Patrick

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
You have my full attention on this one Mike , can add to what the others have mentioned . It is a wonderful kit and builds very nicely . The BG set is top notch for some of the smaller details , but the seat is oversized for this aircraft and one made by your talented hands would be the cats meow ! Nice list of goodies you have for her as well . I won't go into what is incorrect , mostly with in the pit but some how I don't think you will be using much of it . Here is my build on the subject if it will aid . I have a lot of refs on this one so if you have any questions , will do my best to help .

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10553.0

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks.
Also Terri - thanks for your link,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 11:16:19 PM »
I'm looking forward to this one Mike.  I started one of these once, but fouled it up and put it aside.  Maybe your build will show me the way and I can start a second Covid-shelf queen build!  I am sure you will handle this somewhat-finicky kit with grace and aplomb. ::)  Seriously, I suspect you will navigate the pitfalls and create a beautiful model.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best regards,

Bob   

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »
Interesting!  Were these things really stained dark, or is that another product of orthochromatic film?
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
Hi Mike!
I built an SSW D.III in 72nd scale many years ago from Pegasus (too)short-run kit and is a subject amongst my favourites.
So I will follow you also in this challenge, I'm sure about the high class show I will see.
Roberto
P.S.:...I'm sorry, but I can't believe that one day you will build an OOB kit... 8) 8) 8)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »
Interesting!  Were these things really stained dark, or is that another product of orthochromatic film?

They were stained with dark varnish. Here's a shot of the actual aircraft and pilot.

Extract from the Windsock Data file 29:

"It would appear that factory finish on the plywood covered fuselage and fixed tail surfaces was a fairly dark stain coated with a highly glossy clear varnish in a similar fashion
to early Albatros fighters. In the majority of photographs in this book, the stained wood  appears so dark that the usual black serials and weight table stencil data is virtually impossible
to distinguish. Metal panels, struts, and cowling were usually left in their natural finish".

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 11:35:10 PM »
I'm anxiously awaiting some photos!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
Hi all,
I've started this model with working on the engine.
My original intention was to replace the kit supplied engine with the excellent resin engine from 'Aviattic'.
However, as I started to build that engine I decided that it was too good to be hidden under an engine cowl, even though the engine cowl on this aircraft exposed more of the engine than most rotary powered aircraft.
Therefore I've built the kit supplied engine, but with one modification, namely replacing the oversized valve push rods.

To do this the push rods were cut away from the engine front casing, which was the cemented onto the engine.
I then drilled 0.6 mm diameter holes into the outer edge of the housing, making sure the pairs of holes were drilled staggered at an angle, as with the actual engine.
Each push rod was made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube, which was bent at one end then flattened to represent the valve operating levers.
A sleeve of 0.6 mm diameter brass tube was cut and slid onto the rod. This is to represent the end fitting at the bottom of the push rod.
Each rod was then secured in position using CA adhesive.

The end result is not as good as the 'Aviattic' engine would be, but hoefully is an improvement on the original kit engine.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:55:49 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 09:05:37 AM »
Looks great Mike!  It's amazing how much the new pushrods improve the engine.  Very nice.

Best regards,

Bob