Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)  (Read 14904 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:13 AM »
Mike
Sorry to hear about your disaster Mike, at least you didn't try to clamp a dropped Xacto between your legs. I have no doubt your repairs will be unnoticeable.
They say bad things happen in threes. Between you, Rick and myself, we have that covered. This seems like an ideal time to add top wings since the quota has been met :-)
sp

Sadly it's actually "fours" with this addition. I was doing a last minute dry fit of the just completed cockpit module of that Tamiya Spitfire I've got entered in the Off Topic" Section and yes, dropped it onto a hard floor as well. Broke a longeron and it took me a good half hour to find the gun sight, all's well now but I confess to saying "fooey" (or something similar) several times! :-[ It is indeed a bad week for mishaps!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2020, 07:10:03 AM »
Seems I'm not alone then - but as I say 'we're modellers'  :-\

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
Every now and then a build will fight me hand tooth and nail and mishap after mishap , then there are ones which go perfectly no mishaps at all Sad to hear that it happen , but in the end no one will notice ...like it never happend .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Hi all,
Applying 1.0 mm wide 5 colour lozenge rib tape decals onto 5 colour lozenge really strains these old eyes.
However I'm getting there as the upper wing and elevator are done now.
I've still to decal the lower wings and the four ailerons,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2020, 07:54:24 AM »
Lozenge and Tapes are looking Excellent Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »
Nice job on the decaling Mike  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2020, 05:29:43 AM »
Hi all,
Just a small update.
The wing outer 'V' struts were tubular steel covered with a Spruce wood fairing.
The fairings were then covered with the lozenge linen or in some cases, the lozenge pattern was hand painted.
I've used the same 'Aviattic' lozenge decal that used for the rib tapes.

Mike

Online RAGIII

« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
Excellent work on covering the struts with decals. Not always easy to get them right!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »
That had to be fiddly. You aced it though.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2020, 07:54:32 PM »
I was sorry to read of the mishap but you have triumphed magnificently. The lozenge looks really beautiful.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2020, 02:21:41 AM »
Hi all,
I don't think I've spent as much time cutting and applying decals to any model, as I have on this one.
The upper wing/ailerons are 45 degree 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32019 underside, ATT32018 top surface).
The lower wings/ailerons and elevator are standard 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32075 underside, ATT32013 top surface).
All rib and edging tapes were cut from 'Aviattic' ATT32073.
National markings and pilots personal markings were from the ‘Pheon’ (32023) Siemens Schuckert D.III decal sheet.

I had the problem of repairing the model after I dropped it during final preparation for applying the decals.
I managed to catch it between my legs, but in the process clamped the wing tips which transformed the D.III into more of a Vought Corsair!!

I had to break off the upturned lower wings, clean up, re-pack, re-drill and re-pin then reassemble.
All in all it didn't turn out too bad.

The surfaces are gloss sealed so as not to damage the applied decals. The final finish and weathering will be done later in the build.

Mike

Offline smperry

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2020, 02:28:17 AM »
Very nice recovery Mike. I have much the same repair to do on my Albatros, so you are quite the inspiration.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2020, 04:23:55 AM »
Looks amazing Mike and like SP said nice recovery!
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2020, 05:03:09 AM »
Hi all,
Moving along slowly.
The engine and cowl have been fitted with an 'RB Productions' 9/32nd flat rigging wire used to represent the cowl retaining strap.
Photo-etch quarter turn fasteners have been added to the main panels and wingnut fasteners to the two side and one underside access panels.
Both machine guns are on as well as the fuel tank contents gauge.
Very slight paint weathering was applied (sponged) and a light sheen sealing coat airbrushed to act as the base for dirt weathering.
Before that I need to fit and rig the undercarriage assembly so as to prevent damaging the PE fasteners on the underside access panel on the fuselage. 

Mike 

Online RAGIII

« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »
I missed this update until now. The cowling and MGs look amazing and using the flat rigging material for the strap is a Great idea!
RAGIII