Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)  (Read 14696 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2020, 02:42:24 AM »
Hi all,
A few updates for the build.

When I temporarily joined the fuselage halves I found the seat support frame was too short and didn't reach its locations in the fuselage sides.
To correct this I cut the frame cross members and added 1.4 mm diameter tubes to extend the width of the frame.

The 'Brengun' photo-etch side formers and box cover were added - tricky to fit under the cockpit side 'Z' frames and required thinning the frame and filing the photo-etch.

The 'Brengun' set has a side panel, the location of which is not clear in the instructions.
However a photo shows where it locates.

The front decking panel and the replacement 'Gaspatch' machine guns were modified to allow the guns to fit the panel.
The kit supplied ammunition feed and ejection chutes were used and pinned through the gun breech block with 0.5 mm diameter rod.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »
Great stuff, Mike!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
looking good Mike  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2020, 09:57:18 PM »
Your usual outstanding work Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2020, 12:10:52 AM »
The progress on your model is great to follow, Mike. Excellent work indeed.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2020, 04:41:22 AM »
Hi all,
I did some research to ascertain the purpose of the rectangular access panel under the early D.III aircraft.

It seems that the loaded belts of ammunition for both machine guns were stored in the ammunition container fitted under both guns.
The loaded ammunition belts were fed to the gun breech blocks through feed chutes.
The empty ammunition belts were directed from the breech blocks through chutes to box containers, which were fitted to the fuselage sides inside the cockpit.

All of the empty ammunition cases from both weapons were ejected through a tube connected to the lower front of each breech block and from there into a combined ejection pipe which was routed down to the bottom of the fuselage.
On the later D.IV aircraft the cases were discharged out of the aircraft from the ejection pipe opening under the fuselage.
However, in the early D.III aircraft the cases were retained in a container inside the fuselage and to access the container for emptying, the rectangular access panel was fitted under the fuselage.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2020, 05:10:09 AM »
Hi all,
Cross bracing wires were fitted between the tops of the rear fuselage cabane struts and the inside of the fuselage.
These wires were attached to a small rectangular frame, located on the top centre of the cockpit front decking panel.
Each of the four separate bracing wires were attached the corners of this frame.

The model has the rectangular attachment frame moulded solid, which does not represent the actual frame.
The ‘Brengun’ photo-etch set has two frames, either of which (or both) can be used, but attaching them to the decking panel and rigging is not explained.

I removed the pre-moulded lump and drilled two holes of 0.5 mm diameter at approximately 60 degrees, down and through the front decking panel.
Two lines of 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament were passed through 0.4 mm diameter tube, then through the photo-etch frame.
The lines were looped back through the tubes the secured in position with thin CA adhesive.
The following shot shows it test fitted. The frame will be finally fitted later in the build during the rigging phase,

Mike

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
Wow!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
I love your detailing !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »
Hi all,
I really should build models out of the box (OOB).
I followed the instructions for embodying the ‘Loon Models’ resin wing tips for the early version aircraft.
Now I've found that the span of the lower wing is 12 mm too short (6 mm at each wing tip).
As can be seen, when the modified wings are laid onto a correctly resized drawing, the span of the upper wing is correct, but the span of the lower wing is not.
The original kit is for the later D.IV aircraft, the lower wing of which had a slightly shorter span when compared to the upper wing (disregarding the extended balanced ailerons).
So now, having embodied the modifications to both wings, I'm not sure whether the 'Loon Models' instructions for cutting away the kit wing tips are incorrect or the wing span of the original kit supplied lower wing is too short?

Anyway, I'll need to cut the lower wing at both sides and along a rib line then pin and pack the wings to the correct span.
This will also mean relocating the lower wing location holes for the outer wing struts.

Mike

Offline Radarman

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
Mike,
Endless hours of fun!

Enjoy,
                  Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »
A tape measure can be a dangerous thing.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
Now that sucks , once correct no one will ever know .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2020, 11:59:04 PM »
The saving grace is that you noticed the issue before it was too late! I know that with your skills you will solve the issue and no one will know you had to do a correction.
RAGIII