Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)  (Read 14931 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
Really nice work with the resin and mods Mike  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2020, 04:35:14 AM »
Hi all,
I've separated the resin elevator from the tail plane and added 0.4 mm rods, to enable the elevator to be animated.
The pilot's and ground crew grab handles were drilled out, reshaped then 0.85 mm styrene rectangular rod added to correct the open shape and correctly locate the handles (which were actually a fuselage longeron).
The forward decking panel was hinged at both sides by continuous hinges located under the cooling jackets for the two machine guns.
These are not moulded on the kit part so have been represented by using 'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Radarman

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2020, 04:40:05 AM »
Looking good Mike. Thanks for the tip about using the Aviattic photo-etch for the hinges.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
Outstanding work as expected Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2020, 10:58:38 PM »
Hi all,
The upper wing, as supplied in the basic kit, has a pronounced bow across the thicker, centre section of the wing.
As the underside of the wing in that area has a glossy finish, I can only assume the bow was caused during the injection process.
Unlike resin parts, polystyrene seems to retain a shape 'memory' once moulded, so it can be more difficult to correct distortions without introducing white 'stress' marks in the part.
However I applied heat on both sides of the wing centre section from a hair dryer (on high setting).
The heat was maintained for a few minutes Then the wing was flexed and held in position whilst cooling.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2020, 12:38:58 AM »
Thanks for that tip Mike.  This is an amazing build!  Well done.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2020, 05:36:09 AM »
Just catching up. Your modifications and additions are first class as usual and will undoubtedly take this from a kit to a superb model. Heating and gently bending distorted plastic parts is a tricky operation - I do like the idea of using a hair dryer for the operation.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 05:49:52 AM »
Excellent work on removing the warp! One I will have to remember when I eventually do mine! Thanks!!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »
The hair dryer technique is one I shall be be remembering for future use. Good fix.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2020, 07:02:57 AM »
Great stuff, Mike!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 08:35:46 AM »
Hi all,
Earlier Siemens-Schuckert aircraft designs were basically copied from French Nieuport fighters, such as the Nieuport 11.
The method of aileron control used for the Siemens-Schuckert D.III was not the usual cable systems, but was a copy of the French design using control rods from the cockpit to the upper wing.
The pilot’s control column was attached to a torque bar, which was located across the cockpit floor.
The ends of this tube were attached by universal joints to control rods, which were routed up and out of the cockpit forward decking.
The control rods attached to bell crank levers in the upper wing and control rods from these routed outboard to the ailerons.

The cockpit to upper wing control rods/bell cranks are represented in the kit, but only to the underside of the upper wing.
Photographs of the aircraft show what appears to be cut outs, which allows the tops of the aileron bell cranks to protrude slightly through the top surface of the upper wing.
These cut outs are represented on the kit wing as recesses on the underside and raised solid moulded rectangles on the top surface.
Also the kit control rod/bell crank part have round rods, whereas the actual rods were flat sided (streamlined).

I drilled out the aileron apertures in the upper wing then scrapped them to the required shape.
The kit aileron control rod/bell cranks were reduced in thickness to more represent the actual parts.
Small squares of 0.85 mm thick plastic card was cemented onto the bell cranks and were then rounded and drilled with a 0.5 mm diameter drill.
Short lengths of 0.5 mm Nickel-Silver tube were cut and secured through the pre-drilled holes.
The modified parts are a snug fit into the wing apertures and will be fitted later in the build,

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
Your usual amazing attention to detail Mike!
RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 08:11:49 PM »
Beautiful!
/Fredrik

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2020, 11:10:01 PM »
Hi all,
The aircraft had padding protection for the pilot in three areas:
Padding at the front of the cockpit decking.
Padded headrest on the front of the fuselage fairing.
Padding around the centre section cut out in the trailing edge of the upper wing.
The padding on the headrest is moulded on the fairing but is slightly offset and hardly visible. The padding on the upper wing is not represented in the kit.
I added both by using 'Milliput' two part putty.

The ‘Brengun’ Siemens Schuckert D.III (BRL32014) photo-etch set has the parts to create a pilot’s seat.
However I chose not to use those parts as photo-etch parts are in some cases too thin to be realistic. The pilot’s seat is such as case.
Therefore I used the photo-etch seat back as a guide to drill out the kit supplied seat, then added a seat cushion made from 'Milliput', as the kit does not supply a cushion.

That's the last modifications at this preparation stage, so now I can start the actual building phase.

Mike

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Early)
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
The padding and seat looks great! Excellent use for Milliput!
RAGIII