Author Topic: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke  (Read 86572 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Hobby Craft 1/32nd SPAD XIII times Three: plus Aviattic Luke
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2020, 03:49:41 AM »
Oh dear, triple vision agin! My Rick you have really motored through these three but you have not any quality issues are far as finish is concerned (second time that is). I really admire modellers who can follow multiple builds and not make serious errors (as I would do).

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2020, 04:28:19 AM »
Oh dear, triple vision agin! My Rick you have really motored through these three but you have not any quality issues are far as finish is concerned (second time that is). I really admire modellers who can follow multiple builds and not make serious errors (as I would do).

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, greatly Appreciated!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
Top persistence Rick, I have thrown in the towel many times after setbacks on builds but you have just rolled up your sleeves and cracked on. The Spads are looking great, really looking forward to seeing more progress on these. Spads ar very purposeful looking fighters, they remind me a little of the P47 Thunderbolt with that big radial engine and robust appearance.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2020, 08:16:45 AM »
Top persistence Rick, I have thrown in the towel many times after setbacks on builds but you have just rolled up your sleeves and cracked on. The Spads are looking great, really looking forward to seeing more progress on these. Spads ar very purposeful looking fighters, they remind me a little of the P47 Thunderbolt with that big radial engine and robust appearance.

Thanks for the comments Richie! This was a minor setback. Like I said removing the paint was easy as it just rubbed off, no stripping agent needed  8) I like the new Ecru color better anyway and I filled a few holes in the under surface of the wings that I had forgotten about. So if all works out well tomorrow I should be able to start painting the upper surfaces!
RAGIII

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
Ecru. Is it a custom mix of Tamiya paints? Could you share your secret formula?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »
Ecru. Is it a custom mix of Tamiya paints? Could you share your secret formula?

Yes it is VERY Custom   8) Those who have followed My builds in the past know I am a "Seat of the Pants" type Modeler. I can give you a list of the colors I used but as for percentages I have No Idea  ??? I started with TamiyaXF57(Buff) mixed with XF53( Neutral grey, and XF2 (white). I added a little sky grey, more white, then started adding that mix to XF55 Deck tan, More white, ETC. until I came up with a match I liked. I ended up with 4 bottles of various mixes until I hit on the one I used  ::) In the end if I had a bottle of a lighter bluish grey it would probably have been easier. I would start with the Deck Tan, white, and a greyish blue. I Hope this Helps  ;D
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:33:16 PM by RAGIII »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:41 PM »
Looking good Rick!  I liked your description of the custom paint mix operation.  That's probably closer to the truth of the prototype than you might think!  :o  I suspect they sometimes used whatever was on hand to get things done when certain "official" colors ran out or supplies were delayed. 

I am really looking forward to your further painting adventures on this handsome trio.

Best,

Bob 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2020, 11:38:05 PM »
Looking good Rick!  I liked your description of the custom paint mix operation.  That's probably closer to the truth of the prototype than you might think!  :o  I suspect they sometimes used whatever was on hand to get things done when certain "official" colors ran out or supplies were delayed. 

I am really looking forward to your further painting adventures on this handsome trio.

Best,

Bob

Thanks Bob! Funny thing I was just looking at all of the bottles I had mixed and I am not sure I used the one I originally liked best  :-[ I guess it doesn't matter as I am happy with the results!
RAGIII

Bughunter

« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2020, 05:46:38 AM »
Rick, you made a nice progress! The number of finished models 2020 will be increased by 3 soon  8)
Do you mix much more paint then needed? I hate to mix, because I would never hit the same color again. And if 80% are done, the mixed paint bottle will be empty >:(
So if I stick to original paints the chances are much higher, to get the same color shade with a new bottle.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Jimbo

• James Harr Model Maker
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2020, 06:45:04 AM »
Just went through this whole thread Rick, so impressive! Like others I don’t usually do more than 1 at a time, although I imagine a Camel series in my distant future, I have a number of them.  Really enjoying your detailing work and the mods you’ve made to create the Guynemer ship. Question for you and the group: I thought the Hobbycraft kits were re-boxing’s of Roden parts? I have a VII and a XIII in the stash, I’ve always for years loved the lines of the SPADs, with the fat radiator face and the scalloped trailing edges. Any way model on, thanks for sharing!

Jimbo
Under construction:

Wingnut Wings Roland C.II

Offline FAf

« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2020, 06:57:17 AM »
Like Frank, I find mixing paint a bit scary. But I too like your approach to it. If you're only looking for what you think looks good, then it can't go wrong, can it?!
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #266 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »
Rick, you made a nice progress! The number of finished models 2020 will be increased by 3 soon  8)
Do you mix much more paint then needed? I hate to mix, because I would never hit the same color again. And if 80% are done, the mixed paint bottle will be empty >:(
So if I stick to original paints the chances are much higher, to get the same color shade with a new bottle.

Cheers,
Frank

In answer I tend to mix Far More than I need. I just used some of My Mix from the WNW Salmson that I had left over from years ago  ::)
RAGIII

Just went through this whole thread Rick, so impressive! Like others I don’t usually do more than 1 at a time, although I imagine a Camel series in my distant future, I have a number of them.  Really enjoying your detailing work and the mods you’ve made to create the Guynemer ship. Question for you and the group: I thought the Hobbycraft kits were re-boxing’s of Roden parts? I have a VII and a XIII in the stash, I’ve always for years loved the lines of the SPADs, with the fat radiator face and the scalloped trailing edges. Any way model on, thanks for sharing!

Jimbo

Thanks for the Very Positive Comments! No the Hobby Craft kits are Not a Re boxing of anything Roden. They were actually Enlarged versions of the DML 1/48th scale SPAD XIII with the PE replaced with plastic parts. IHTH,
RAGIII

Like Frank, I find mixing paint a bit scary. But I too like your approach to it. If you're only looking for what you think looks good, then it can't go wrong, can it?!
/Fredrik

Thanks Fredrick. Nothing Scary about mixing because I am using Multiple shades of one color for each mix. I am going to attach photos of the first color of the upper surface Camo. I used at least 4 shades of light green. Some with aluminum added.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:13:54 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
Moving right along long Rick , looking good  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2020, 11:33:02 AM »
Moving right along long Rick , looking good  8)

Terri

Thanks Terri!
RAGIII

Offline Jimbo

• James Harr Model Maker
« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the Very Positive Comments! No the Hobby Craft kits are Not a Re boxing of anything Roden. They were actually Enlarged versions of the DML 1/48th scale SPAD XIII with the PE replaced with plastic parts. IHTH,
RAGIII

Thanks for the intel, I guess I was thinking of the Trumpeter WWII kits they did. Nice to see paint going down!

Jimbo
Under construction:

Wingnut Wings Roland C.II