Author Topic: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A  (Read 17907 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2020, 01:36:56 AM »
superb Stephen, it's great to see an update on this amazing project. Now I have finally dipped my toe in the scratch building water i can fully appreciate the amazing skill, knowledge and patience you have shown with this. Incredible precision!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
Fabulous job on the details Stephen  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
Rather you than me. That looks like extremely tedious work, albeit carried out perfectly!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:19 PM »
Evening All,

Thanks Ken, Rick, Richie, Terri and Ian for dropping by and leaving such supportive comments - they are much appreciated.

Once again I have been absent from home and as usual it takes a few days for me to get back into things - hence the delay in reporting. However recently I have been able to make some more progress, much of which has been repeat what I did for the lower wing.

I have continued slowly with the construction of the top wing. Having put the ribs into place I had to thicken the spars with Evergreen strip. The strip was CA'd into place as per the lower wing, leaving gaps on the underside where I will have to pass the rigging through the ribs later. When the rigging is complete the remaining gaps can be filled and painted.

The contrast between spars which have been thickened and those which have not can be seen in this picture of the upper and lower wings:

When the spars were finished the compression ribs could be inserted on the wing leading edge:

The rear of the booms were soldered to make a strong joint: later this will hold the rudder post and form an important part of the overall structure of the model so strength matters here:

The front spar of the tailplane has been CA'd too - this adds strength to the rear of the model. Later when the Evergreen strip that I have ordered arrives, I can build the framework of the tailplane on to this spar.

Meanwhile I have constructed the remainder of the framework for the top wing, including the leading and trailing edge strips, and the longerons across the span:

The metal parts of the top wing and the booms have been primed with Halfords rattle can primer: while this dries I am going to finish some details on the nacelle and engine and start to make the ailerons for the wings.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2020, 11:08:03 PM »
Mind bogglingly brilliant Stephen. How did you get such a perfect right angle when adding the compression ribs? This is something I struggle with.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »
Incredible work Stephen! The wing structures and booms are amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
Excellent work on the ribs and spar Stephen . Booms are moving forward and good idea on solder for that . A nice strong join is going to be need . Looking forward on the next up-date  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2020, 07:08:49 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks Richie, Rick and Terri for dropping by and leaving your comments - I really appreciate your encouragement.

I had hoped that making the tail and control surfaces would be relatively straightforward and quick. Well I was right about the former but wrong with the latter. Hot weather and a loss of mojo have contributed to the long time taken to complete these parts. However they are now done and ready for paint before being fixed into place.

The ailerons were made using 40 x 60 thou Evergreen strip for the leading edge: the ribs were the rear parts of the ribs from the wings. These were glued at the correct intervals using the wings as templates to ensure correct alignment. The small spars were cut from 30 thou card scrap. The trailing edges are 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip, bent in the usual way by pulling it through the end of an old pair of tweezers until the curve is nearly right, and then glueing into place and making the last bend fit the plans:

Test fitting of the ailerons to the wings showed that they fit properly:

The tailplane presented a slightly different problem because for a start half of the spar which I had originally threaded to the boom broke off and had to be re-attached with superglue. The leading edge ribs were made first and glued into place - the unit was laid over the plan to get the correct positions. The trailing edge of the tailplane is two pieces of 30 x 40 Evergreen strip, one on each side of the rudder post. I attached the inner ribs first as these had to have a slot cut into them to allow the boom to pass through. The end of this rib was glued to the rear spar of the tailplane and this was followed by the outermost rib so that the rear spar was held properly. The remaining ribs could then be glued in place. The ribs were cut from 40 x 60 Evergreen strip and filed to size. When all of the ribs were in place the leading edge was glued in place (10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip again).

Finally the elevators were made following the method described above:

The photo shows how I first bent the strip which will make the trailing edge of the elevator: by gluing the ends of the ribs to the strip first and waiting for them to dry, I was able to easily bend the ends of the strip to fit to the ends of the hinge. A simple check to make sure that the elevators fit to the tailplane:

The rudder will be made later when I have worked out whether to make it before fixing to the boom structure or afterwards when the rudder post is fixed to the booms. The new control surfaces::

While all of this was going on I have also been adding some small details to the engine and nacelle assembly. The radiator had two supports from 30 thou rod added - one to each side. I also added the small bracket and wires for the magnetos on the rear of the port side. Some small pipes which run from the carburretors down to somewhere in the lower regions of the engine compartment were put in place using copper wire. I have still to add two longerons to the fuselage sides but I am leaving these until later because I need to handle the nacelle when I fix the top wing and I do not fancy replacing parts later.

The right hand pipe had moved from the carburretor when I took the photo....that has now been put into the correct position! On the starboard side the home-made exhaust has been put in place:

Now on to painting the top wing, tailplane and control surfaces, and booms. I will also start to make up the undercarriage legs and axle and varnish the struts and add the manufacturers transfers to them so that I can start to seriously think about how to put the top wing into place.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Now that is an excellent up-date , you are moving right long Stephen . Really nice job on the rest of the flying surfaces  . What did you use for making the struts ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RichieW

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »
Brilliant work Stephen, this is a very absorbing read! Despite this heat wave you've still managed to make excellent progress.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
I usually wait until a model is completed before commenting, but I just have to interject here my stupefaction at the quality of your work, Stephen.
Wonderful stuff.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
That's a lot of work showing, Stephen.  Excellent update!  Fantastic engine detailing.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2020, 01:45:33 AM »
Outstanding progress on all! The work you do is amazing. The tail surfaces look great and the engine and details are brilliant!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2020, 01:54:36 AM »
You have gone through the portal, Sir....

This is just beyond.

A worthy successor to our lamented founder.

I salute you!

Bughunter

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2020, 06:20:47 AM »
Outstanding progress on all! The work you do is amazing. The tail surfaces look great and the engine and details are brilliant!
I have to agree completely!

Cheers,
Frank