Author Topic: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A  (Read 18015 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: No 1A de Haviland: 1/32 stripdown Airco DH 1A
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
Something magnificent is evolving here Stephen! Very, very special!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2020, 01:08:50 AM »
Wonderful, on the one hand „as usual“ , on the other hand you are betting even better and better. Fantastic job, Stephen!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2020, 08:00:35 AM »
Simply Incredible wood work on the wings! Beautiful to say the least!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
Stephen , most impressive job on the wings ! Should look even better once the clear coats are on . Looking forward to the next up-date !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »
Evening All,

Thanks Ian, EBF, Lance, Giuseppe, Richie, Andreas, Rick and Terri for you kind comments - they are much appreciated.

Ian: I do not use a spray gun so I will paint on the clear orange with a hairy stick - in that way I do not have to worry too much about the rigging wires provided that I am careful

EBF: I dilute my acrylics with water until the mixture has the consistency of milk. It does mean That I sometimes have to use many coats of paint, but the finish is very much better than putting on fewer thick coats which tend to leave brush marks. I also find that if I wish to use undershading I can get a similar effect to using a spray gun when I use a number of thin coats.

Stephen.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
Evening all,

After a great deal of umming and ahhing I decided that I would complete the current sub-assembly (nacelle and lower wing), before I make the upper wing and tail plane. Then I had to decide whether to add the pilot's cockpit interior details or the engine and radiator: either way I may run into problems with bits sticking out and getting broken off or alternatively being in the way....   Eventually I decided to add the engine and radiator first, so I completed the oil tank by adding the support brackets and the exhaust and painted them all. The engine was glued to the mounts which will later rest on the nacelle frame:

The oil tank was attached to the side of the engine and a pipe to the oil pump made from copper wire. The exhaust has been added for the photo - I will not glue it into place until I have attached the water pipe to the top of the engine:

The fuel tank was placed in the nacelle under the engine bay and two straps added from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip - I am not sure whether these were used but they had straps on the FB 5 so I am guessing they had them here too:

The radiator was fixed to the nacelle frame behind the pilot's cockpit - I assume that it was held on brackets and probably braced with wires on each side but there are no photographs so I am making this up as I go along:

The water pipe was fixed to the top of the engine and the engine sub-assembly glued to the nacelle frame so that the water pipe fitted into a hole drilled in the top rear of the radiator:

I have still to add the carburettor system to the left side of the engine and then there are various wires, pipes and a control horn on the magnetos which are not included in the kit. I will add the exhaust pipe to the engine after I have put in the seat and other details in the pilot's cockpit. More on those details later.

Finally for the moment I have made some of the fuel pipework and taps which were fixed to the bulkhead in front of the pilot. These are from copper wire and plastic and are ready to be bent to shape:

If you have been, thanks for looking.

Stephen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
The engine , exhaust, piping, radiator etc. all look Superb! even better as they are installed in their proper location!!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2020, 12:01:39 AM »
Great looking progress, Stephen.  Details add so much to the visual appearance.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2020, 04:26:17 AM »
More beautiful work Stephen, that WNW engine has been wonderfully well finished.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Holy Hand Grenades, Stephen...this is magnificent.  Yet another build I've missed.  I am way too siloed.

Super, super cool.

In awe...Dan  :o

Offline UFAG

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2020, 04:58:19 AM »
Okay, I really do love this scratchbuild...!!

Offline Old Man

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »
Great stuff, Sir.

And by the way, you are flat insane, you know....

Amazing project!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2020, 10:31:00 PM »
Evening All,

My belated thanks to Rick, Ken, Richie, Dan UFAG and Old Man for your ever-generous comments. In the past month I have spent much time traveling and visiting family members, so I have not had too much time either for commenting or for modelling. However I have made some progress since the last post as follows.

I have added some more details to the pilot's cockpit in the form of the seat and bench, control column (from rod with thin wire for the grip), and elevator bar, hand pump and pipework for the fuel, and pulleys for the control cables to the ailerons and rudder. The photos are not particularly good as these parts are partially hidden and difficult to see even on the model itself:

There is still some touching in to do but that can wait until I have finished scraping paint to fix some other parts on to the nacelle structure.

I have also been working on construction of the top wing. It has the same composition as the lower wing: brass bar for the spars and plastic strip for the ribs. The ribs between the boom attachment points to the rear spar were put in a group in the middle of the wing and a single rib near the tips of the wing. This ensured that the spars would be correctly spaced and that the centre ribs would not be affected by heat when I soldered the booms to the rear spar. When threading the ribs care had to be taken to ensure that they were in the correct order as they are not all the same. The booms are 1/16 inch brass rod: these had the front tailplane spar, made from 30 x 80 thou Evergreen strip, inserted at the rear end. Because there is no incidence on the booms relative to the spars (ie the rear of the boom is at the same level as the spars), it was easy to make a simple jig to allow me to solder the booms into place. The spars and booms were placed over a plan of the upper surfaces of the aircraft and held with pins before the nacelle and lower wing was held over the jigged upper wing to make sure that the two sub-assemblies match as closely as possible. When I was satisfied with the alignments I soldered the booms. An after solder check showed that the minor mis-alignments between the upper and lower wings and booms can be easily corrected at the final assembly stage.

The ribs between the booms were aligned with the ribs in the lower wing but the ribs which will hold the cabane struts had to be aligned with the nacelle frame: all were CA'd into place:

The ribs outboard of the booms were CA'd: each one had to be measured against its counterpart in the lower wing to make sure that all are properly in line:

Now I have to add the plastic strips above and below the brass spars between the ribs to increase the thickness of the former prior to adding the compression ribs. Other details will also be added before I paint the wood parts of the wing. I have also got to think about and decide how I am going to construct the tailplane as that too will only consist of ribs and spars, but has to be strong enough to hold the elevators.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:02 PM »
Nice to see some progress, Stephen.  This is really taking shape.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2020, 10:52:13 PM »
Such fantastic and precise work is a testament to your  skill! The nacelle , interior, and lower wing structure are amazing! The upper wing is sure to be in the same category!
RAGIII