Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:  (Read 41814 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2020, 12:53:08 AM »
Great looking weathering Rick.  The oil staining of the bottom is awesome.  I'm continuing to follow this.

Thanks Ken, Greatly appreciated! If all goes well it should be a biplane sometime today  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2020, 04:33:59 AM »
I like the way you weathered the wings. Lovely progress and I am keen on seeing it with top wing attached.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2020, 05:56:21 AM »
I like the way you weathered the wings. Lovely progress and I am keen on seeing it with top wing attached.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. Here you go for the top wing mounted:
RAGIII

PS: Getting the broken Cabane pinned in place was much easier than anticipated...providing it holds  8)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:00:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2020, 06:12:13 AM »
I think most WNW Camel builders have been there - I know I have.
Even so your build is looking great  8)

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:30 AM »
Nice fix on the cabane.Looking great with the top wing mounted, are there any potential pitfalls to be wary of?

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2020, 06:19:21 AM »
 ;D Yes - the fragility of the cabane struts  :o

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:47 AM »
I think most WNW Camel builders have been there - I know I have.
Even so your build is looking great  8)

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes the broken cabane is certainly something one sees on the Camel more than any other WNW kit! Saw one on FB today... he broke one while test fitting the interior in the fuselage!
RAGIII

Nice fix on the cabane.Looking great with the top wing mounted, are there any potential pitfalls to be wary of?

Thanks for your continued support Richie. As for Mounting the wing I use a Very Sophisticated jig. I Turn the upper wing upside down on a flat surface. I tnen glued all of the interplane struts in place on the lower wings. A small drop of glue was applied to the locating holes on the upper wing. Turned the model over, lined up the cabanes and inserted them in place. Then went to the right interplanes followed by the left. Once dry enough I hit them with a bit of Tamiya extra thin  ::) So the short answer is No reall issues, especially if No Broken Cabanes.
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2020, 07:19:37 AM »
Thanks Rick, I hope to get to this stage in a week or so. Still got a few paint/finger print mishaps to correct first.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »
Thanks Rick, I hope to get to this stage in a week or so. Still got a few paint/finger print mishaps to correct first.

I am Looking forward to your progress. On Mine I making some educated guesses on a few things. Not 100% sure which gear legs to use for instance. ( I am going with the later style). Also not sure if the inspection panels were painted over so leaving them clear. Hoping no photos exist proving Me wrong!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2020, 05:30:36 AM »
In spite of the cabane problem this is looking well up to your usual very high standard Rick. Not long now until it is finished - and another cracker for the display cabinet!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2020, 06:49:02 AM »
In spite of the cabane problem this is looking well up to your usual very high standard Rick. Not long now until it is finished - and another cracker for the display cabinet!

Stephen.

As always thanks for your comments and Support Stephen! I was working on attempting to use My printer to make the Dragon Motif from a profile today. Got the marking printed to a white paint background with no issues. When I went to seal the decals with Micro scale decal saver It totally wiped away the ink! Tried again and used future, same result. I am puzzled as I have used this method before with no issues. Even water totally wiped out the ink?
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »
I had the same kind of problem here. I got round it by misting fine coats of Micro scale decal film. Real fine so it is almost dry when it hits the surface. You don't want to really wet the ink. If you can discipline yourself to build up a coat that way, (My usual downfall), once you get a few misted coats dry, you can build it up from there if you don't spray so much it re-dissolves the film down to the ink. Printer ink can be a pain.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »
I had the same kind of problem here. I got round it by misting fine coats of Micro scale decal film. Real fine so it is almost dry when it hits the surface. You don't want to really wet the ink. If you can discipline yourself to build up a coat that way, (My usual downfall), once you get a few misted coats dry, you can build it up from there if you don't spray so much it re-dissolves the film down to the ink. Printer ink can be a pain.
sp

Thanks for the advice! I actually have never encountered this issue even BRUSHING Micro Scale Decal Solution over the Ink! I will try again tomorrow using the Airbrush in misting coats  ::)
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »

Stephen.

As always thanks for your comments and Support Stephen! I was working on attempting to use My printer to make the Dragon Motif from a profile today. Got the marking printed to a white paint background with no issues. When I went to seal the decals with Micro scale decal saver It totally wiped away the ink! Tried again and used future, same result. I am puzzled as I have used this method before with no issues. Even water totally wiped out the ink?
RAGIII

Hi Rich,
If you're printing decals using an inkjet printer, sealing them enough is always a problem, which is why laser printers are better (but more expensive) as they heat seal the pigments, so no sealing required.
Could you post a shot of the dragon you are looking to create?

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2020, 12:11:52 AM »

Stephen.

RAGIII

Hi Rich,
If you're printing decals using an inkjet printer, sealing them enough is always a problem, which is why laser printers are better (but more expensive) as they heat seal the pigments, so no sealing required.
Could you post a shot of the dragon you are looking to create?

Mike

The Dragon can be seen on this profile. I was trying to copy another version from the Osprey Camel Aces book. I won't post that due to copyright. I will send you some other pics on Messenger  8)
RAGIII