Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:  (Read 41883 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Sopwith Camel: 43 Squadron RAF with Copperstate Figure:
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2020, 05:18:13 AM »
Rick,
    As I mentioned elsewhere I've built several of these and broken off more then just one cabane, nothing unique in that I'm certain! As long as you've got three unbroken just pre-pin the little devil and attach the cross rigging at one end, then pop it into place when you mount the upper wing. I managed to sweep THREE of the little "8&TYZ*&O*AE&" things off on my first one; solution was a template to get them on at the correct angles and spacing. Looking really great so far, it's a jewel of a Kit other then the easy possibility of cabane destruction.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:54:59 AM by lcarroll »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »
Looking great Rick, apart from the broken strut you're motoring along very smoothly here. But as you say you've joined an elite club.

Thanks Richie. Things are going pretty well other than the strut  ::)
RAGIII

Rick,
    As I mentioned elsewhere I've built several of these and broken off more then just one cabane, nothing unique in that I'm certain! As long as you've got three unbroken just pre-pin the little devil and attach the cross rigging at one end, then pop it into place when you mount the upper wing. I managed to sweep THREE of the little "8&TYZ*&O*AE&" things off on my first one; solution was a template to get them on at the correct angles and spacing. looking really great so far, it's a jewel of a Kit other then the easy possibility of cabane destruction.
Cheers,
Lance

I am hoping to do just that Lance. Use the three remaining to get the 4th in place. Should work if I don't manage to break another  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2020, 11:33:13 PM »
The Roundels proved to be as bad as some have reported! After applying six that had wrap around edges which cracked and tore it FINALLY Dawned on me that it would have been better just to CUT the portion that folds over off and apply them separately! The result of My experience is that I will need to do a Lot of touch up! The saving grace is that D6402 was a Well used airframe so perhaps some touch up was done in real life  ::)
RAGIII

PS: They did Lay Down over the surface details quite nicely!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2020, 02:15:08 AM »
This is looking very good Rick. Sadly I will never be able to join a club that has members as elite as Lance and you. (Not sure that either of you would wish to be in the same club as me anyway....!!!)

While I cannot break a strut from a kit I sure can get into a mess when adding struts - see the FE build to read about my latest mistakes!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2020, 04:22:56 AM »
Forewarned is forewarned, I'm approaching the decal stage on mine so that's a good tip off. It does look great with some roundels on. Looking forward to the next update.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2020, 04:46:25 AM »
This is looking very good Rick. Sadly I will never be able to join a club that has members as elite as Lance and you. (Not sure that either of you would wish to be in the same club as me anyway....!!!)

While I cannot break a strut from a kit I sure can get into a mess when adding struts - see the FE build to read about my latest mistakes!

Stephen.

I would be More than Honered to be in any club of which you are a Member  ;) I may need your advice on My next, Very ambitious build as it will require scratch building some struts  8)
RAGIII

Forewarned is forewarned, I'm approaching the decal stage on mine so that's a good tip off. It does look great with some roundels on. Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks Richie. I guess there is a possibility that clear coating prior to use might have kept them from breaking apart. My experience has been that the adherence to detail is affected by that procedure so 6 of one, half a Dozen of the other. Others experiences may differ. Again in hind sight cutting them would have worked!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:29 AM »
If I remember correctly, in my Pup build, it had the wrap around roundel decals also.  I carefully applied decal softener at the edges of the bend after putting the roundels on the wing surface and also used a hair dryer to soften them up enough to wrap around.  If you try to bend them around the edge too soon, they will break.  It took a few minutes for the decal softener to work.  Good luck with these decals, guys.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2020, 05:07:09 AM »
If I remember correctly, in my Pup build, it had the wrap around roundel decals also.  I carefully applied decal softener at the edges of the bend after putting the roundels on the wing surface and also used a hair dryer to soften them up enough to wrap around.  If you try to bend them around the edge too soon, they will break.  It took a few minutes for the decal softener to work.  Good luck with these decals, guys.

I tried using future, softener etc. to no avail. I have also built the Sopwith Tripe, SE5a, and Snipe and had No Issues at all with the wrap around roundels. It seems to have started with the Camels and carried over to later releases like the Dolphin, which also gave Me a few trials although not as bad as the Camel. Softener and hair dryer May work but in the future I will just cut them and be safe  ::)
RAGIII

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »
Hi Rick,
 Not sure if you got my email. but just to let you know the masks are on their way  ;)

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Online RAGIII

« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2020, 07:31:11 AM »
Hi Rick,
 Not sure if you got my email. but just to let you know the masks are on their way  ;)

Cheers,
Bob
Thanks Bob! Again I appreciate your Generous Help on the Masks!
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2020, 09:56:33 AM »
This is good too know about the decals , will be tossing the kit decals and go with something else . Like the others Rick she does look nice with the rundels in place  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
This is good too know about the decals , will be tossing the kit decals and go with something else . Like the others Rick she does look nice with the rundels in place  :)

Terri

Thanks Terri. I don't know that it is necessary to give up on all of the kit markings. I think others have used the bulk of the Markings with no problems. The issues seem to be centered on the roundels. We can of course, hope Rowan releases the Camel Aces sheet sooner than later. I can still use some of the markings like the serial number and little dragon motif. I also think Kiwi or Lifelike have some Camel Markings.
RAGIII

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »
The problems others have reported with the Wingnut Camel roundel decals are actually quite comforting to me as my Camel roundels look terrible in place, and I was agonising over what I had done wrong. Issues with the decals themselves would explain much.

I also achieved the distinction of breaking off all four cabane struts during construction. The Camel build is currently shelved pending a re-think.

Rick, your Camel is looking fantastic and I'm following your build with much interest and envy :)

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2020, 01:01:12 AM »
The problems others have reported with the Wingnut Camel roundel decals are actually quite comforting to me as my Camel roundels look terrible in place, and I was agonising over what I had done wrong. Issues with the decals themselves would explain much.

I also achieved the distinction of breaking off all four cabane struts during construction. The Camel build is currently shelved pending a re-think.

Rick, your Camel is looking fantastic and I'm following your build with much interest and envy :)

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

First thank you for your kind comment Dave. Like You said knowing there are issues with the decals helps some  ;D The struts are indeed delicate. In retrospect it would have been nice had WNW designed them to slide into place like the Snipe kit. Of course there have been Many who managed to avoid breaking them so only a slight bit of satisfaction knowing we are Not Alone! I hope you figure out how to rescue your Camel!
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2020, 06:14:47 AM »
I have started applying oils for weathering. Here is a shot of the underside as it stands now. Too Much?
RAGIII