Author Topic: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72  (Read 12277 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2022, 08:09:23 AM »
Best wishes for the physio and hopefully a complete recovery.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2022, 02:21:38 AM »
Really beautiful work, and my prayers for your speedy recovery.

Warren

PS: I suffer from a pretty bad case of trigger finger, so you have my sympathies.

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2022, 02:51:30 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates recently but I had hand surgery for Dupuytren's disease 3 weeks ago and am just about to start physio.

Yikes!  I've inherited that.  Doc says I was the youngest person she'd seen with it.  One day I will have to treat it too.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2022, 01:52:50 AM »
Hello Ian
You shouldn't apologize for lack of progress. Health and body are far more important than bits of plastic on your workbench. Just get well soon mate.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline IanB

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2023, 10:45:17 PM »
Hi all!

I have managed to recover some of the lost mojo and have been printing out cylinders for the engine. They've turned out very nicely, but I can't seem to get the tiny gap between them to stay clear of resin.
I tried printing them individually but they're too fiddly like that. I have been using 0.03mm lift height and 6 second exposure, so I tried 5 seconds. That got the gap, but other details failed so I went back to what I had.
This is what I will go with.

I had to print at 105% to make them fit so I guess the drawing I have is slightly off. No matter, I'll do everything else to match the drawing and print at 105% for them too. The extras now are the crankcase, and the inlet pipes. I thought about butchering a resin Argus engine for the crankcase but I'll see what I can do with Fusion. Should be an interesting experiment doing that and "pipes" for the induction.....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2023, 05:12:00 AM »
Those cylinders look super Ian. I am not an afficianado of printing so I take what you have written at face value! Whatever they are still a massive improvement on the kit offering!

Stephen.

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 07:34:21 AM »
That’s a great result, and inspirational too. I wouldn’t have noticed the ”webbed” cylinders unless you mentioned it. With some dark matt paint and inlet pipes in place they’ll be invisible.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2023, 08:53:14 AM »
So glad you have experience mojo recovery. I very much hope you have hand recovery going on too Ian.
The 3d printed cylinders look very good, nothing looks amiss with them to me.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2023, 09:55:27 AM »
Awesome to say the least!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2023, 11:38:11 PM »
Many thanks for the comments Stephen, Torbiorn, Richie, and Rick - much appreciated!

Having 2 days off this weekend enabled me to get some more bench (actually computer desk) time in yesterday. I had been putting off doing the induction piping because I'd not worked with the pipe function before, and honestly, I'm not convinced that I chose the best method. I'll explain in a minute!

After first watching the required youtube video I sat down and started on the design. I'm ok with adding planes to use as a base reference so that was the first job. To ensure that the pipe work was at the required distance from the cylinders I added a plane, then drew my spline on it. The outer pipes were built starting with a straight centre piece, then one of the cylinder manifolds was added. The ends were moved to the required positions to add the bends and that was about it! Simples!

Only it wasn't, because I had to tweak the spline quite a bit to adjust the curvature, ensure it was straight where it needed to be straight, and that the general look of it all was right. Once I had one done it was simply mirrored - another plane added for that excercise. The longer pipe was done as a copy of one of the shorter ones, lengthened, and moved to the correct position. Re orienting it took a while because I couldn't figure out how to add an axis to rotate it around, but I finally figured it out and it was simple from then on. Again, once complete it was mirrored to the other side. The final centre piece was a very simple spline with a bend either end and a cylinder added for the upright.

So what did I get for my entire afternoon's graft?
Here's one of the larger pieces

and all 3 together

I printed 4 of each so I had plenty of spares and used 2 different print orientations to see if that made any difference. I'm pretty pleased with how they've come out!

As for my comment above on pipe not being the best method to use, I say that because the ends of the pipe are not at the correct angles. It won't notice in this scale but in future I think I'll add a cylinder first to get the square ends to the cylinder head end, then add a pipe to that, or maybe even two cylinders with a radius added at the joint.

They are just resting in place in those pics and will need a little tweaking but nothing major. Or I may not bother as they are so small anyway!

On a final note, when I printed the cylinders previously I again used 2 different orientations. I hadn't noticed before and thought the vertical ones ere good, but when I looked closer at the slanted ones I realised that the valve rocker assemblies had not printed fully on the vertical ones, but with the extra supports I had added to the slanted ones, they printed fine. I had forgotten that I had eve designed those in!

I'm starting to lean towards using a resin crankcase from an Argus engine instead of designing one. It's close enough, won't be seen, and I really want to get on with actually building this!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2023, 03:40:58 AM »
Highly interesting project. Tauben are really beautiful planes, build one many years ago.

Your engine cylinders remind me of a picture in Jane's of the Basse and Selve.

Joachim

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2023, 09:14:29 AM »
Exquisite work, Ian!
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »
Super work Ian, but I do think that making the pipes from rod (the old fashioned way...) would have been quicker and easier!

Stephen.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2023, 12:05:39 AM »
Ian,
Brilliant work on this subject.  I appreciate your full disclosure on all the trials and tribulations of 3-D printing design.  I’m beginning to realize why these aftermarket parts are so expensive!

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2023, 02:53:57 AM »
Your engine cylinders remind me of a picture in Jane's of the Basse and Selve.

They remind me of the Sand People from Tatooine.