Author Topic: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72  (Read 12085 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2023, 06:19:54 AM »
That's bloody hilarious PJ.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline IanB

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »
 Thanks again for all the feedback folks!
Sand people, love it!

It's turning into a very slow build, mainly because I still don't seem to have the mojo back fully yet.

Having said that I have made another small step forward today. I went with the resin crankcase idea so hacked the cylinders off a spare Argus engine. No real loss as the cylinders are not well cast. and I now know I can do better!

I also removed the kit engine mounting lugs from the fuselage ad added new ones from plastic card. This ensures that I can get a good fit height wise - also the crankcase mountings are somewhat offset for some reason, so I had to add the mounts equally offset!

Here's a dummy set up of the engine so I could test fit it.

I won't be doing anything on this for the next couple of weeks as my brother is visiting.

We have a little treat planned for next weekend as I have booked us 2 nights In Qasr al Sarab.
Something I've been meaning to do since I got here - a must do!

Have a great week folks, thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2023, 02:10:25 AM »
Brilliant use of Magic!  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2023, 09:48:34 PM »
Hi all.

Back from our little sojourn, we had an absolute blast and I enjoyed having my brother here for a week - his 3rd visit in the nearly 5 years I've been here. Qasr al Sarab (it translates as Palace of the Mirage)

is a fantastic place to unwind, if a tab expensive. However it is unique in being in the desert - the last 12 km is a road which leads only to the resort, here's a little video to show the terrain.

20230203_124544 by Ian B63, on Flickr

and here's the entrance

sunset from our room

Saturday was a busy day, starting with a massage! Archery in the afternoon - both my brother and I competed as kids and both won our local club's under 12 competition. This was our first time since then, it's amazing how quickly it all comes back.

Lastly an evening camel ride up the dunes. Not the most comfortable mode of transport I've ever experienced - especially when the camel stands up which it does rear end first. If you're not ready, it'll throw you off forwards!

Then chilling out by the pool with a few drinks. All in all a great couple of nights.

Anyway, I digress.
I got back on the Taube yesterday and basically didn't achieve anything!

Here is why I've been having issues

I'm not sure if you can see from the pic but the underside of the fuselage is not flat. It slopes upwards towards the join, which of course it shouldn't! It also means that it's extremely difficult to hold everything in position accurately for test fitting. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and added plastic strip tabs as locators. I have also cut the front of the nose off as it's too short. I'll deal with that later.

With those added I could see that the engine was too low, so I removed and raised the strips I'd added to mount it on. In the process of trying to test fit the engine I managed to knock off some of the Mr Liquid Putty I'd added to alter the cockpit shape, so that has also been replaced.

That is all now drying.

Here is the engine as it now stands. The cylinders are a sacrificial print to get the fitting right. I will remove them and add a new set once all the adjusting is done so I don't break off all the valve rockers. I've also removed the carbs and will add new ones from plastic rod once the final cylinders are in place.

That's about it for now, almost time for a beer or two!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:06:45 AM by IanB »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2023, 10:45:34 PM »
Some great 'feel good' shots the Brandy! You'll get all the necessary fettling done in due course. Enjoy the beers!
Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2023, 07:12:21 AM »
The engine looks fine and is a huge improvement on the bit supplied in the kit....! The fuselage fit is not the only issue with that kit, but as usual you will knock it into shape.

Stephen.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2023, 07:32:55 AM »
Hi all.

Back from our little sojourn, we had an absolute blast and I enjoyed having my brother here for a week - his 3rd visit in the nearly 5 years I've been here. Qasr al Sarab (it translates as Palace of the Mirage)

is a fantastic place to unwind, if a tab expensive. However it is unique in being in the desert - the last 12 km is a road which leads only to the resort, here's a little video to show the terrain.

20230203_124544 by Ian B63, on Flickr

and here's the entrance

img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52688647724_d372067b59_c.jpg[/img]

sunset from our room

Saturday was a busy day, starting with a massage! Archery in the afternoon - both my brother and I competed as kids and both won our local club's under 12 competition. This was our first time since then, it's amazing how quickly it all comes back.

Lastly an evening camel ride up the dunes. Not the most comfortable mode of transport I've ever experienced - especially when the camel stands up which it does rear end first. If you're not ready, it'll throw you off forwards!

Then chilling out by the pool with a few drinks. All in all a great couple of nights.

Anyway, I digress.
I got back on the Taube yesterday and basically didn't achieve anything!

Here is why I've been having issues

I'm not sure if you can see from the pic but the underside of the fuselage is not flat. It slopes upwards towards the join, which of course it shouldn't! It also means that it's extremely difficult to hold everything in position accurately for test fitting. I finally did what I should have done in the first place and added plastic strip tabs as locators. I have also cut the front of the nose off as it's too short. I'll deal with that later.

With those added I could see that the engine was too low, so I removed and raised the strips I'd added to mount it on. In the process of trying to test fit the engine I managed to knock off some of the Mr Liquid Putty I'd added to alter the cockpit shape, so that has also been replaced.

That is all now drying.

Here is the engine as it now stands. The cylinders are a sacrificial print to get the fitting right. I will remove them and add a new set once all the adjusting is done so I don't break off all the valve rockers. I've also removed the carbs and will add new ones from plastic rod once the final cylinders are in place.

That's about it for now, almost time for a beer or two!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

What an amazing place to holiday!  Looks like a scene from the last remake of Beau Gest.

Cheers

Hugh

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2023, 05:12:31 AM »
Your engine is a huge improvement on the piece of white metal supplied in the kit.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2023, 07:36:11 AM »
The engine looks incredible, especially since it is so small.

I am again in awe by the possibilities of 3D printing.

Willem

Offline IanB

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2023, 05:01:50 AM »
I finally got some mojo flowing on this over the weekend and got some work done on the interior.

Firewall and bulkheads were added first.

Yes, I know there were no solid bulkheads between the crew positions, or even aft of the pilot's cockpit, but I need the added strength and with the seats in place it won't really be visible anyway.

That was followed up with the "instrument" panel and the cockpit framework, which was added using 0.25 x 0.75mm Evergreen strip, plus false floors. I had debated with myself for a while about how I would deal with the fuselage floor. Initially I thought about removing the bottom of the fuselage completely but then I would have problems with alignment and joining the halves together. After looking closely I realised that the fuselage floor was actually quite thin so it would be possible to add my usual false floor to hide the seam, plus the big square hole for the control column shouldn't actually be there so the thickness was not an issue either. False floors it is then: 0.25mm sheet added and the batons from 0.25 x 0.5mm strip. They will be trimmed to length later.

I also drilled the holes in the fuselage sides for the rudder cables to pass through and looked at the control column. The kit item is not too bad, but the aircraft I'm modelling had a bigger wheel. I just found my discarded DF loop from the Fairey Battle in the spares box and it looks good size wise so that may come into use later! As for the square cut out in the underside, that will be filled later, either with a card insert, or filler. The hole has been drilled in the false floor to take the control column so my reference point is already there.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline WD

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2023, 03:00:51 AM »
Great work so far Ian.

Warren

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2023, 03:34:41 AM »
Looking great Ian. Interior work has always been my favorite.  Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline IanB

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2023, 04:52:21 AM »
Thanks Tim and Warren, glad you're enjoying it.

You knew I would, didn't you? As soon as I said that I would be happy with it, I knew I wouldn't be. 
So today I removed the bulkhead aft of the observer's seat and replaced it with just the top part. I also replaced the instrument panel, extending it a little lower.
That meant I had to make the fuel tank which also forms the mounting point for the observer's seat. I thought about printing it, but in the end I just glued a few bits of plastic stock together and sanded them to the rough shape I needed. Most of it won't be visible, but at least it's a little more realistic. And no, it's NOT a toilet!

[

I've also filled in the little gap in the floor with a piece of thin strip.

After that little episode, I decided it would be a good idea to make a list of parts I need to design and print. That was made more necessary after I trial fitted the seats and discovered that they are too big and won't fit, so that increased the list! How can you produce a kit with seats that are too wide for the fuselage?

I need a new nose, (stop giggling in the back), seats - including the mounting braces for the pilot's seat, gravity tank, barometer, and control wheel.

The nose is just a small extension and I will probably follow the example set by Steve (Fritag) on BritModeller, and scan the opening once the fuselage has been joined to use that as a reference for designing the new part. We'll see how that works out later....

My duties for my next day off are now set.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2023, 05:55:41 AM »
And no, it's NOT a toilet!
Agree to disagree  ;D

Offline IanB

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2023, 10:47:33 PM »
Zac, don't throw your ciggy butts in the "toilet"!

Well, I said in my last post that my plans for today were set and I was right. Problem is my PC keeps freezing if I try to run Fusion at the same time as Spotify and I have to have music on. Looks like I'll have to get hold of some extra memory.

I have no idea about things like that.....

Anyway, the day hasn't been wasted. A few small improvements here and there including redrilling the control cable holes in the correct places and refitting some of the batons on the floor which I'd trimmed too short.

I also decided to trial fit the tail. It's VERY thin and fragile, and I managed to break off a large lump when I broke off the supports. I hadn't clipped them off properly and a couple were still attached. Oh well, it's only a test piece!

I noticed that it does have small swollen areas where the lower supports attached so I'll have to rethink there, and I'll add the outer braces to the print just to see if they will work. Some more sanding was required to the fuselage but after a while it fitted rather snugly so I'm happy with that!

Having fitted the internal framing I could also test fit the wings and trim the spars to the right lengths.

Not too shabby! The span should be 198.6mm and it's 200mm but without the dihedral so I'll definitely live with that! That fit also highlighted the fact that the left wing was very slightly lower so that was corrected raising the top of the mounting slot with a #11 blade and adding a piece of 0.25mm card to the bottom. It doesn't sound much but it was definitely visible. Not now!

Final fettling can be done when they are fitted, which I will do with the "bridge" underneath already mounted. I plan to do it that way to ensure that the dihedral is exact, and I'm hoping to use plastic rod with brass pins for that part, trapping the spanwise rigging wires in the joints as I build it, then threading the loose ends through the wing and tightening it off.

At least that's the plan, but changes can be made if needed!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian