Author Topic: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72  (Read 12273 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2023, 11:21:59 PM »
Looks very promising Ian.  Beautifully designed and printed parts. 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2023, 05:23:29 AM »
It always gets me how elegant the Taube design is. Beautiful work so far Ian, and fascinating to follow. I always enjoy your updates.

Zac, don't throw your ciggy butts in the "toilet"!
;D ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2023, 08:20:56 AM »
Catching up Ian - you have done a lot since I last looked in. The interior details are a huge improvement, especially the toilet observer's seat base/fuel tank. I hope that your idea of adding the under  bridge and rigging works because it sounds a really good idea which will add strength to the model.

Stephen

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2023, 06:32:53 PM »
Lucky for you the tail is only a test piece.

I'd be pulling my hair out!

Great overall results. This is still one of the most elegant aircraft of the period i.m.h.o.

Willem
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 07:30:04 AM by Rookie »

Offline IanB

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2023, 10:35:39 PM »
Hi all,

I've made a little more progress on designing the remaining bits I need so here's what I have so far.

The gravity tank is shown in a couple of photos of the specific aircraft I'm modelling but I have no measurements so I had to do it by eye.
This is what I was aiming for:

and this is my first attempt.

I thought I'd done pretty well, but on comparing the pics it was obvious that I'd made it too long. I have left the reference line in for the top of the fuselage, otherwise it looks way too thin as well!

So I made a couple of quick alterations and I now have this:

and the tank on its own:

I think it's still a little too pointed at the nose but I can live with that. I had some useful advice on saving myself a lot of work drawing in too many rails, so in future I will put that too good use, but it was good practice anyway as I only drew in one quarter, then copied and mirrored. Getting the hang of it now! The struts will not be printed, they are just for reference.
The other item now complete is the control wheel.

Happy with that!

Next up will be seats, then a new nose profile.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2023, 06:16:44 AM »
This printing process certainly seems to make the process of parts manufacture much easier than hacking pieces of plastic with files and knives!

Good looking drawings Ian: I am sure that the new parts will be equally good.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2023, 09:53:44 PM »
I was thinking much the same as Stephen!

Looking forward to seeing how these parts print.

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2023, 03:51:55 AM »
Looks really nice Ian. Beautiful design work.

Offline WD

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2023, 03:51:21 AM »
My hat is off to you on the build as a whole, but especially the design work.

Warren

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2023, 06:16:23 AM »
Looking good!  I need to design the control wheel for my 3D project. This is good inspiration!

Offline IanB

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2023, 04:56:02 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback folks!
Apologies for the lack of updates here. It's not that I haven't been working on it, just that there's not been anything worth posting.

To bring you all up to date then, I've been working on my CAD design skills (or more accurately, lack thereof). Specifically, the seats. The challenge was to design seats with tufting, ie the little buttons which pull the leather inwards. I first had to learn how to get that effect, then had to work out how to backfill the empty space behind, all while working in a non-planer (curved), environment.

There's a great video on youtube showing how to work in the form environment to get the tufting, but it's done in a flat plane. After a little trial and error I managed to get the hang of the form environment and how to set up a plane and manipulate it, the hardest part was how to do it on a curved rather than flat surface.

Basically, it's all down to the initial sketches. I drew the frame for the seat with the intention of using that to extrude a square tube for the seat frame with a width of 0.4mm. Unfortunately you can't use a face from that to anchor the new face in the form environment. After a few tries and redrawing the initial sketches so that all the reference points aligned, I drew some construction lines perpendicular to the initial sketch with a length of 0.2mm (half the width of the extruded square section pipe) to give me a guide - the initial sketch would be the centre point of said pipe. Once those refs were done I drew another spline to match the existing pipe centreline and aligned at 0.2mm off it. That would give me a reference which was level with the edge of the tube and which I could use as the plane for the new form face so it was level with the inner edge of the frame.

I also needed to do the same thing to create a "cutter" to trim the new form to the correct shape once it was done since it has to be created as a rectangular shape.

Difficult to explain, but if anyone wants any help I'll try to be more explicit about the process.  Basically what it boiled down to was that any failures I encountered were almost always due to bad drawings at the beginning. Either line end points not being aligned, or gaps in the faces. Most of them were not visible as we're talking errors of 0.001mm or so, but that's enough. Make sure that the constraints are set and that when lines are drawn you have the little square shown when clicking the fix points - they indicate that the point is aligned with another (just make sure it's the point you want!)

So here are the 4 stages, each approximately one day's work...

Day 1

Day 2

By this point I had figured out the tufting and how to manipulate the surface but couldn't fill the back or thicken it.

Day 3

Front face now properly aligned but still unable to fill in behind

Day 4

I'll take that!

Yes, it's 4 day's work, but I now have a better understanding of how it works. The last stage, Day 4 took only about 3 hours instead of 5 or 6 so progress and knowledge!

I will now try to get a new nose profile done before I fly back to the UK on 26th for my 60th with family. When I return, I will be concentrating on a DH4 and DH9 for a DH group build on Britmodeller forum (I'll post them here too) so it will be a while before I get back to this one.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline RAGIII

!
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2023, 03:25:53 AM »
Solid scratch building work Ian...and then More HooDoo Magic underway  8) Looking Awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2023, 06:33:45 AM »
For some reason - maybe open sections somewhere, and many, many thanks to Johnny (The Spadgent on Britmodeller) for help in error tracing, this didn't print well. It printed the seat as a solid block instead of a hollowed out sculpt. I think it was due to me doing the back as two parts and not having them properly mated which left an open mesh which was then filled in at printing. After redesigning with the seatback as a single piece and doing away with the frame it worked. I had added the frame as a cutting tool, but again I think there were gaps between the frame and the seatback. This time I added extra planes to use as cutting tools and it worked fine. I still haven't worked out how to backfill, but the thicken tool worked, leaving only a slight ridge to sand off. 

The final parts needing printing were the coolant header tank and a new tail. 

The coolant tank worked ok

I may still tweak that a bit and thin the pipework.

I had issues with the tail warping as it was only 0.1mm at the rear end

so I thickened it to 0.15mm and added some braces to keep it straight while curing.

That seems to have worked well. I removed the supports before I left on vacation a week ago and will see how it looks upon my return (the braces are still on). 

So that's where she sits now. I will be home mid May but my attention then will be on the dual De Havilland build for the DH group build so this will be on hold again for a while. Once I get back to it, it should be fairly quick progress as all the tricky bits have now been taken care of except the ne nose profile.

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2023, 07:01:39 AM »
Some Call it Modeling Sorcery!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »
And some call it modelling magic! It certainly beats scratch building!

Stephen.