Author Topic: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
This is fantastic Ian!  I’ve been looking to build my kit for years but hadn’t really invested time into figuring out how to correct the inaccuracies.  I appreciate you doing it ahead of me! Really wanting to see how all your efforts on the engine work out.  I’m following with great interest. 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2022, 08:22:46 AM »
Bravo Ian, she's shaping up very nicely!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
Cool Ian , tagging a long ....but ...but ...it's not paper !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2022, 03:05:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Alexis, why would it be paper? I would never even think of building a paper model. Even though there are some pretty good looking ones around it's just not my area of interest.
I'm off to the US for a week on Weds so there will not be much progress here for a while I'm afraid.

Ian

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 01:01:21 AM »
Ian,

You are a brave man.  I get mine out of the box, look at it, put it back on the shelf.  I say to myself, 'the vacuform one would be easier'.  I get it out, look at it, then put it back on the shelf.  I will definitely be following along your build.

Stuart

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2022, 05:18:39 AM »
It is great to see you posting on this one again Ian! Your mods and improvements are Outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2022, 04:02:33 AM »
Thanks Stuart!
Rick, it's good to be back!
I've been a little slower with my builds due to a change in work duty times over the past 4 years and an excursion into some other subject matter, but WWI aviation is still my primary subject.

Well, a little more than a week, sorry about that! My trip to the US went well, although it was hectic. I caught up with some friends on Cape Cod, visited my house, and picked up some jackets and boots that for some reason had not been sent out with the rest of my belongings.

I am now officially an FAA examiner for the King Air 350.

There has been (slow) progress but not much to photograph and post.
 I had a day off today and got back to this. I have to admit the mojo has been a little low of late, but today was spent testing my eyesight.
The wings and tail needed to be marked out for the ribs, and the trailing edges scalloped. That was today's job.
Left one done, right one shown as a comparison.

Both wings are now done and just need to be marked up for the ribs.
The tail was fairly straightforward. First the scalloping...

then the marking of the ribs etc

I now need to mark up the wing ribs and spars. I think it would be best to add the tail and wing spar extensions that carry the rigging before I paint them as I will have to cut a slot in the surfaces to insert the rods and it could be difficult to match the paintwork after that is done. The next job is therefore going to be cutting slots in the wings and tail, attaching plastic rod, and blending it all in before any painting is considered.

I also need to start thinking about the fuselage framework.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2022, 07:05:53 AM »
Good to see you back Ian and making good progress with this one. The original kit was pretty crude but good enough for you to work your magic on.

Stephen.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2022, 07:49:44 AM »
Hey Ian, hadn't seen this one before. Lotta work, but you're going to triumph I'm sure.
I remember talking to Chris Gannon about the soft buttery plastic he used for his Pegasus and Blue Max kits. He was very proud of it as he felt it easy to carve and work with. Wonder what happened to him, he was still a young guy when he sold up.
Great work so far.
Sandy

Offline WD

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
Great work so far, amazing stuff IMHO.

WD

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2022, 05:04:05 AM »
Lovely work Ian, I'm enjoying watching this come together.

I am now officially an FAA examiner for the King Air 350.
Congratulations!!

Offline IanB

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2022, 03:10:04 AM »
Many thanks for the feedback, Zac, WD, Sandy, and Stephen - much appreciated!

For the spar extensions that hold the rigging lines plastic strip would obviously be too flexible, but at the other extreme I think brass would be too strong making it hard to shape properly. I would also need to drill for rigging lines very close to where the spar extensions would be inserted into the wing. With that in mind I opted for aluminium rod. I squashed it flat (using pliers with smooth jaws) in two dimensions: vertically to slot into the wing, and horizontally for the spar extensions themselves which were slightly flattened to be more aerodynamic. Quite why, with all the rest of the bits that stuck out into the airflow I'm not sure, but they were, so that is what I've done!

After flattening them out they were filed to shape and CAd into the wings. The other advantage of aluminium is that although they don't bend easily, they can be adjusted to get them straight in all dimensions.

The end result of this afternoon's eye straining is this (progressively, from raw attachment, to finished and shaped):

Wings done, horizontal tail surfaces next. I'll leave the vertical ones until it's all together.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2022, 06:53:21 AM »
Excellent problem solving, Ian!

Offline IanB

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2022, 04:26:49 AM »
Today was a day off, two more to come...

I was not really happy with the plastic card tail and the lack of detail on it so I decided to throw something together in Fusion just to see what I could come up with. After all, it couldn't be any worse!

After a couple of hours playing around with it I got something I was happy with as a test so I printed it.

A few hours later, I found this waiting for me...

The warping surfaces at the rear are only .2mm thick, the forward part is 0.6mm with the ribs at 0.7mm to give a very slight raised surface on the front part, but noticeable raised ribs to the rear.

I will have a closer look in the morning, but I think this is a keeper!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2022, 07:40:17 AM »
Your 3d print looks great. My brother and I have been experimenting with Fusion over the past couple months for a 1/72 scale plane we're collaborating on.  Quite a learning curve with that program.  He's gotten fairly adept at it but it's beyond complicated for me.